Thread: Video Riser Question

Will the video riser card from a PowerBase 180 work in a PowerCenter Pro 180?

------------------

Weren't those two machines based on slightly different motherboards? The Catalyst and the Catalyst Plus?

The PowerBase is a 603 based system while the PowerCenter Pro is a 604... I was thinking that video cards are often interchangeable... how about video riser cards?

------------------

They might be. HArd to say without examining one.

Mad Dog

The PowerBase is a Alchemy based motherboard while the PowerCenter is Catalyst based. Referencing my Tech Support manual shows that the PowerBase Riser has a built in 3D ATI XClaim GT Chipset. The Riser in the PowerCenter series does not contain the video hardware (It's on the motherboard). I don't expect then that the boards would be interchangable or PowerComputing would have made this option available for the PowerCenter series.

[This message has been edited by lasvegas (edited 19 August 2001).]

The power center pro has the video on the riser. 2 or 4 meg ATI (same as the pbase, I think).

Mad Dog

By golly! You're right! Looks like the same Riser on both the Base and CenterPro. Looks like if you match up LP for LP or Tower for Tower, it just might work. I stand corrected. Guess I should have turned a few more pages in the manual!

I had forgotten that the PowerBase had video on the Riser Card. The Riser Card video on the PowerCenter Pro was a proprietary board based on the ATI Rage II chipset. It was 2 MB or 4 MB optional. I'm not sure what chipset was used on the PB's riser card or if the two were interchangable (I sorta doubt it because of the completely different logic board architecture and that I never heard about them being interchangeable). I've also never heard of the PCP riser card working in the Power Center, probably because of the Pro's 60 MHz system bus. And, if I'm not mistaken, the PB video riser card used expandable EDO RAM. I really doubt that it would work in a PCP.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 22 August 2001).]

The PowerBase riser card uses the same 3D ATI XClaim GT Chipset with optional upgrade from 2MB to 4MB. Now, the PCP is 60MHz while the PB is 40MHz, but I suspect both run the video chipset at the PCI bus speed of 33MHz.

Without actually seeing the two risers side by side, I would hazard a guess that they are the same. THe cases for the pcp and the pb are the same (I think), and the video chipset is the same. I bet power computing would try and use the same parts to reduce inventory.

Just a guess, mind you.

Mad DOg