Thread: Softraid question

Am using SoftRAID 2.2.2. Can I partition my RAID-0,(2-15K Cheetahs striped) without loosing my data? Do I just select my RAID volume and then go up to the menu and create>new volume, type in a size depending on free space and click OK?

I want to create a movie partition without initializing the drive.

Movie making is going great, had a good time in Sturgis.

Up Terribly late, can't think for myself.

Hey terri..hows things?? hope you are well!!

I will give you the short unguru answer....yes you can partition using softraid without reinitializing.......IF(and its a big IF)..with capital I and F....IF you have free space when looking at your "volume" with softraid. If yes then you can use any or all of this to create a new volume.

Am doing great, have alot of metal in my neck so I don't go out in thunderstorms, but otherwise I am great. The last 12 days we put over 3,000 miles on the Harley, so must be doing OK.

Now that I'm home and vacation is over, I'm back to trying to optimize my drives, took my 2 old full hieght 9.1gig HD's and threw them in a cheap burly, striped them with softraid, now I have 18g cheap back-up, (6MB's a second! WOW!).

Then I drug over a complete copy of files and system from my cheatah RAID to the cheap RAID for back-up, (1.1gig of files). Just for giggles I started up from the Cheap RAID to see if I had made a good mirror copy and Funny thing is...when XLR8 first started up and tested, it came up with different numbers than before (251MHz versus 249.1MHz) and didn't freeze on start-up like my Cheetah RAID.

Funny how two old narrow Seagates striped on an external chain would work with softraid and write-through unchecked, but my 2 big hairy, beefy 15k cheetahs striped won't start up unless write through is checked (Pointing accusingly at my miles2 cards).

Can't complain too much, but I've noticed that I have real slow rates when rendering movies in quicktime, (write-through strikes again!) am trying to get my Cheetahs to behave and start-up and run like they should. Will keep working on it. Can't wait forever for that miles2 fix.

Want to partition my Cheetah RAID to keep apps and system separate from movie files so it makes wiping and optimizing the movie drive easier. Should've done it when I set it up, but was in a hurry then...

Thanks for the advice, made a good back-up copy just in case, will try to partition today.

[This message has been edited by tekcan (edited 18 August 2001).]

Interesting, when I fire up softraid 2.2.2, it says I have 0 free space in the "disk" column on each and every one of my drives accept one of the old narrow seagates and on that it says I only have 328 MB free. This is a 9.1 gig drive with approx 1.5 gig worth of files on it. More than 6 gig available in reality.

I can't even make a partition from the volume column since it says "at least 10gig needed to create partition" when I select volume Cheetah RAID, (in the volume column) and select create>new volume. According to the program, there is no free space to make a partition. My cheetah RAID only has 1.1 gig filled on it and over 30 gig free space in reality. Anyone know what gives?

Am I supposed to start over and delete the existing Cheetah RAID volume then partition the two drives equally and RAID each matching new partition? AARGH! It's so complicated, I can't even get my problem accross.Dratt & Double Dratt.

Have I got this all terribly confused? MORE COFFEE IS THE ANSWER FOR NOW!

[This message has been edited by tekcan (edited 18 August 2001).]

you are slightly confused when concerning free space. if you have a 10 gig hard drive it can (and ussually does) consist of a single 10 gig volume. Now once you put put a couple gigs of stuff on that volume you have 8 gigs of "room" left on that 10 gig volume, but you have NO.....Zero...NADA room left to create a SECOND volume or partition because ALL 10 gigs are being used for your primary volume....the way to get around that is leave free space available when you FIRST create a volume ...IE if you have a 10 GIG HD and you are initializing it for the first time...create say a 4 gig volume and leave 6 for later. I'm sure someone can come by and explain it mare clearly...just keep in mind that the HD is the TOTAL package and that the VOLUME(..or partition) is a subset of that HD...and its up to you if you want to use the WHOLE HD when creating a volume. So softraid is telling you the truth when it says you have zero space left to create more volumes or partitions because you have used the entire hard drive when creating your volume rather than leaving some for later.

In other words, delete currently created volume initialize individual HD's and create partitions first. Thanks, I was a bit confused, but now am much better. HAHAHAHAHA. Ahem.

Terribly OK. NO Really I am...

you have other choices depending on your needs......you can create a partion using "disk copy" using free space left on your HD....just do this and stick an "alias" in your start-up folder and it will mount to the desktop when you start up......Toast also has a feature that allows you to create temporary partions along the same lines....i use disk copy to creat e partitions that i use for storing things like fonts or for when i need to back-up important jobs. might be worth looking into for you depending on what you are trying to do.

Hey tm311... I'm intrigued by this idea of using Disk Copy and/or Toast for making temporary partitions. Don't know why I hadn't thought of it myself before. Would you mind going into a little more detail as to how and what for you use these temporary partitions? Do you usually have one aliased in your startup items?

my primary use came by accident when i was trying to find a way for many people to sit at my computer and work without F&^%$ing up my fonts...i would constantly sit down to see that someone had printed something and left the fonts either turned on or partially deleted from ATM....so what i did was create a "known good fonts " folder and then made a disk copy of it....stuck an alias in my start-up folder and now when things get out of control in atm i can flush everything and start from a clean folder. I suppose you could use it for many things....i also use Toast to creat mac/pc combo disks and the way to do that is to mount the disk image you are burning to a temporary partition using toast....