Thread: B&W G3 mobo in PM8600

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried or heard of fitting a B&W G3 mobo into a PM8600? Reason being that I love my 8600 and its very large 390W power supply. Since the case has 6 PCI openings, it would more than hold those of the B&W. As I use my 8600 on a daily basis I would like to research this before trying it, not to mention the cost of the mobo.

Note that I already have RAM (left-overs and pulls from other PC and Mac Equip) and my 8600 has an XLR8 G3 upgrade that I could pull the zif from.

Any info would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kirk

I did exactly this a few weeks ago. I used a 9600 case (pretty much the same as 8600), but I used a $24 250watt ATX PSU from CompUSA instead of the 390watt 9600 PSU. I used the ATX PSU instead of the 9600 PSU because the ATX PSU only needs one wire removed from the 20pin connector in order to work with the B&W motherboard. The 9600/8600's PSU would require swapping different wires to different locations to match the pinout of the B&W motherboard. And you'd either have to hack the 9600/8600's 24pin and 10pin connectors to make it fit the B&W's 20pin. Or you'd have to buy a 20pin Molex connector and swap all the wires from the 9600/8600 PSU into it. I have a graphic I pieced together from a few different articles that illustrates all the pin outs and wire colors with corresponding voltage's. I can email it to you if you like. If you find you need more power than 250watts, there are a ton of different wattage PSU's available on the net and at PC supply stores for reasonable money. Also, by using the MUCH smaller 250 watt ATX PSU, I had a ton of empty space in the top bay area where the mammoth 9600 PSU was, to use a Dremel and cut a hole in the flip cover to allow enough space to accomodate a nice PC SocketA CPU fan. Keeps my G3 running a nice cool 34C. I also took the time to solder and shrink tube wrap a 14" extension onto the PSU connector so that I could still open the flip lid without having to disconnect the PSU from the motherboard all the time. Also, none of the motherboard mount points are even remotely close to the same position on the 2 boards, so you'll need to get a motherboard standoff kit ($1.99 at CompUSA) and drill holes in the case and tap them so you can screw the standoff mounts in the case backing. If you like, I can take some pictures of my conversion and email them to you as well.
    I paid for this conversion:
    $75 for a Revision 2 B&W motherboard on Ebay
    $25 for the 250watt ATX PSU
    $1.99 for the PC motherboard standoff kit
    $15 for an Antec Socket A CPU fan
    $40 for 512MB of PC100 RAM

Obviously, your cost for this kind of project can be much more or less than mine depending on what parts you already have (or dont have) and how much you pay for the parts you need. I happened to get a very good deal on the motherboard for $75 since most B&W motherboards on Ebay go for over $100. Plus, I was able to keep my costs down by already having the 9600 case, IDE CD-ROM, PCI video card and ATA hard drives to stick in it. Not much of your 8600 will swap over unless you already have ATA/IDE stuff, or you have a SCSI card to run all your 8600's peripherals/hard drives. If you have any other questions about this, I'd be more than happy to answer them. You can shoot me an email @
    jewell@speakeasy.net

Good luck! J

maxguy72,

?If you get to taking pics make sure you label them and send them my way. I'm putting together a Gurus system photo guide and your stuff should absolutely be included in there. Send to projects@macgurus.com Can't waste that, no way.

?Great project and solution btw, I'd have thought it wasn't going to be nearly that easy with the way the cables route on folding case Macs like the 9600. Bravo.

?Thanks

Rick

Outstanding!!! I had a gut feeling that my good ol 8600 tower case could still come in handy. Don't get me wrong, I love my 8600, but since I had a taste of OS-X using XPostFacto (think that's the full name) to install OS-X on my "unsupported" Mac I've been itching to get back into it. That coupled with having a lot more room for expansion just makes it that much more worth while.

I already have the following items, so besides finding the mobo and power, I should be set.
    -ATI Radeon Mac Edition (the first one released before the 7000)
    -Plenty of old IDE drives & CD-Roms to use until a newer one could be purchased
    -Initio Miles UW w/ 2x 9.1GB UW drives (these were in a raid config when I tried OS-X and it rocked!!)
    -USB/FireWire PCI card for extra ports
    -XLR8 G3 @ 466mhz Zif

Again, thanks for letting me know it works. I will be sending an email your way to ask for those pin-outs and any pictures you'd like to supply me with. In the meantime I'm working on a better design of the fan setup in the Mac. Basically opening up the exhaust port on the other side of the fan. I've found that the fan doesn't get the power it needs to run at full speed unless it is wired directly into the connector on the board. I used an old CD audio cable for this and it works great. In doing so though I found that there was a lot of back-draft. So, I'm working to free it up a little.

-Kirk

Ricks, are you collecting photos of unsual mac-hacks ? If you are interested I have a pretty hacked J700 in a nice case and all....

Mad Dog

Nice hack..

I'm in the process of combining a Beige MT and an 8600. Due to the personality card, I had to some some metal fabirication and riveting, but it seems to be working well. Now I'll have room in the bottom of the case for installing more hard drives, something that wasn't possible with the original MT case. The nice thing is that everything will pretty much appear stock when all the plastic is on. Once I get it done, I'll make sure to put the photos up for all to see.

Yee-haw! Sounds like the good ol' glory days of Mad Mac Hacking might be making a comeback!

quote:

I'm in the process of combining a Beige MT and an 8600.

I'm confused- I thought the Beige G3 MT case and the 8600 case were identical! At least, they look identical on everymac.com.

Hopefully I'm about to start on the "upgrade" of a 7200 owner's dream- swapping it for a beige G3 mobo. Bought a rev3 off eBay this week and just waiting for it to arrive now. However, I noticed that the ports on the back of the beige G3 don't match the 7200, so I may have to do some dremeling. If the PCI slots don't match up, I'll have to give up and get a G3 desktop case- or sell the mobo and start over.

Tune in again later... same mac time same hack channel!

Actually the 8600 and 9600 cases are identical. When Apple brought out the Beige G3 MT they took it to the chop shop...literally shortening the height of the case by almost 2 inches!! I noticed this back when I got my 8600 as a refurb from Apple back in 98 when they were just about to bring out the B&W's. While the 8600 was for at home, at work they had gotten a G3 MT. I never really understood why they did it, short of thinking that by being a MiniTower ("MT") it would gear more towards the average user that doesn't try to cram a 4 drive RAID in the bottom of the case!!

Yet another reason I continue to hold onto my 8600. Oh BTW, my fan case hack worked. No pics yet, though there really don't need to be any as it's simple. I bored out a major hole in the side of the removable panel (a second one that I picked up on eBay of course). Drilled through the stock mounting holes and used 2.5" bolts to sandwich it all together (plastic fan guard on outside, side panel, fan, and metal fan guard on the inside to make sure my UW cables don't get caught up in the thing). I was able to overclock my G3 to 500Mhz (up from 466) while dropping my temps from the mid 50's into the mid 40's (my XLR8 has always run a little hot).

-Kirk

For the most part, the 8600 and MT cases are identical but kirk-pa is correct in that they literally chopped the case of the MT. Also, the back panel is different due to the ports on the MT logic board are in different locations and that the personality card of the Beige G3's is in roughly the same location as the video/audo in/out's on the 8600.

I had to drill out many rivets to transfer the metal back-plane of the MT to the 8600 case and then had to cut/rivet some sheet metal to make up for the fact that the MT is so much shorter.

Pictures to come soon.. right now I'm working on wiring and then will have to combine the back plastic panels of each unit to make a seamless one that'll fit properlly.

FYI, after all is said and done, this unit will probably be for sale.. I'll post specs when it's ready.

?MadDog,

?You betcha I'll take J700 pics. I'll take any kind of pics of systems that should be in a members library. I do need them labeled is all so I'll what is what.

?Thanks for the offer.

An this thread is so....RETRO.

Rick