Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: ANS 500 on eBay

ehh, i could probably use the parts, but im not sure its worth trying to ship it to alaska.

Whatever happened with this mod?

batmantis might actually be selling his ANS case (the one that came with an S900 board in it) to another interested party. They're discussing it in the Misc For Sale forum now. I don't think anyone ever made any progress on attempting to run the MacOS on it.

If one had an appropriately configured 9500 or 9600 ROM DIMM one could probably run the the Mac OS on it but I don't think the PCI slots would work correctly and so you'd never be able to get video out of the thing.

The ANS has the same architecture as a 9500/9600 from the CPU down to the Bandit chips. But on the other side of teh Bandit chips (i.e. the PCI devices) things diverge greatly from a 9x00 class machine.

On a 9x00 the first four PCI devices would be the Grand Central chip followed by three slots. On the ANS they are the Grand Central chip, the built-in Video chip, and the two F&W SCSI chips. Then the first Bandit also has two slots hanging off of it for a total of six PCI devices instead of four.

The second Bandit in a 9x00 machine has three slots. On the ANS it has four slots--yes, the bottom four PCI slots are on Bandit 2 on the ANS instead of three slots.

Finally, the PCI interrupts are different. On a 9x00 machine there's one interrupt line for each Bandit chip, one for each PCI slot, and one unused "reserved" line. On the ANS the F&W SCSI chips take over the interrupts used for Bandits on the 9x00 machines, the Bandit interrupts are tied together and run to teh "reserved" line and the PCI slot interrupts are in the same places.

The slot definitions and the interrupt arrangements are things that probably need to be adjusted in order for a 9x00 ROM to work in the ANS, though an Open Firmware patch might do the trick. Even if one managed that, though, one still wouldn't have support for the built in video nor the F&W SCSI chips, as it seems unlikely that there is ROM support for those items in the 9x00 ROM. Perhaps those segments of code could be identified in the ANS ROM and added to the 9x00 ROM.

Naturally, the above would take a pretty experienced and/or determined programmer who has good familiarity with PPC machine code/assembly and with Forth and Open Firmware.