Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ANS 500 on eBay

Here's another one. Currently at $455. It's probably not worth that price, but then again for the case alone. But the guy does have a decent shot of the case open with the motherboard visible, and I think it does look a lot like a Tsunami board...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1214792643

The guy has a couple of ANS resource links on his item's page, one pointing to http://www.erik.co.uk/ans. This guy is actually running his website off an ANS 500 with Linux! He says that his understanding is that the ANS would run Mac OS if you put a 9500's ROM SIMM in it, and then installed a PCI video card because the onboard video would not work with the Mac OS. Also you would only be able to use the external SCSI, because the internal SCSI used a Fast-and-Wide chipset that no Mac OS machine ever used, and consequently isn't recognized by Mac OS. But I figure that would be OK because one of us would just want to put a Miles2 or something in there anyway. My only wonder would be if the processor card slot would work with the XLR8 upgrades...

mmmmmmm... Apple Network Server with dual G4s...

[This message has been edited by the_anarch (edited 21 February 2001).]

I think getting one of these will have to be my summer project. I guess it really doesn't matter if you get a 500 or a 700, really....I guess I just want the dual power supplies. I bet I can hack a G3 or g4 into one. I am certainly going to try.

Enlighten me on this dual-power-supply thing. Is it the kind of thing where one powers the drives and the other powers the motherboard, and it just has one switch wired to power the whole thing on? Or is there some other benefit to having dual power supplies that I'm not aware of?

Dual redundant power supplies. Both supplies are there and ready to run, should one fail. No down time. That's the big thing. Seems for some reason that only the ANS 700 supports 2 supplies. Check out the Service Source PDF for the machine :
    http://www.erik.co.uk/ans/NS_500_&_700_Series.pdf

The link to it was at one of the links on the auction site. Good reading. The logic board looks a bunch different thatn any Mac I know of. But the structure appears to be there and familiar. We'll see. I think this summer is slotted for my PB G4. I will get one of those ANS someday. But for right now, I am still looking for some J700 boards for MadDog to hook up for me.

Looks to me like the mobo has only one PCI controller (Bandit?) and no (DEC) bridge. Am I missing something? Or is that the bridge all the way over by the processor slot? Can't really tell from the lil pics in the Service Source or on the auction site.

[This message has been edited by Dogstarman (edited 21 February 2001).]

back from Beantown I am... and saw this on the CPUsed site
    (http://www.cpused.com)

Apple nw server 500/132 32MB/1GB DAT/CD *new* $499

Remember - CDN dollars and you can get a GST rebate so you won't be paying a 15% surcharge on everything..

Chris

Just by a new case for $215 and really customize a Mac.
    http://www.servercases.com/ImageFiles/SC2000S.html

Nicolaus

Good idea, and a cool site. But some of us want that piece of Apple history to start with. I might not have the time/desire to wait til I find a good deal and all the funds to pull it together. But if I had the $$, I would start with this case for that MonsterMac I have begun amassing parts for.
    http://www.servercases.com/ImageFiles/SC9691.html

whoa there buddy. ill post some links too since everyone else is doing it, though i think i put them up before. to save you the time of actually clicking them ill explain what they are: one is how to install linuxPPC on an ANS, the other is a forum for linuxPPC/ANS users. according to atleast one person on the latter, the 9500 rom making MacOS run is a myth. he tried is and it didnt work. also, the processor slot is unique-unlike any slots used in other apple computers. upgrades dont work on the ans except for the 200mhz 604 card apple made specifically for that machine. ive got an ans that i got on ebay...the previous owner put an s900 in it (not too pretty). stuff got shaken loose on the trip to alaska, and i STILL have not had time to play with it and figure out whats wrong. coincidentally, the guy i bought it from is coming to alaska in a week or so and while here is going to give me a tour of the internals and help me get it running again.

from first glance, i dont think the power supplies are redundant. one connects to the mobo, but the other seems to power the drives. in AIX, the drives were hot swappable-a feature im pretty sure will never work in MacOS. im planning on getting rid of the whole scsi board thingy that the drives connect to, so i can connect scsi and ide devices, but getting cabling to the drives is no small feat, as the mother board is oriented in the worst possible way. probably i will flip the mobo mounting board over and mount it on the far right side of the enclosure and cut a hole in the mettle divider to pass the cabling through. im planning on putting a UMA-2 board in there eventually. ive decided im tired of blowing pci slots on firewire and usb and crap like that when new mobos already have em. with 4 pci slots and an AGP, its almost like a replacement for the old 6 slot machines. i wonder if there is a way to connect the floppy to the new motherboard. anyway, as always, ill keep you posted.
    http://www.demonsys.com/ans/
    http://www.cyberflunk.com/ans/

That seems particularly odd. There is no reason to have dual supplies, then. I actually makes less sense to me than one larger one. Same thing as a RAID-0....the more components there are, the higher likelihood of failure.

ok....let me throw this out. Dual, redundant, hot-swappable power supplies are run with both powered on, typically, so if one fails, the other seamlessly picks up the load without any interruption of power to the computer or drives or whatever. We use them in some configurations of our 8-bay enclosures. They are merely intended to give you a backup power supply. In the event your primary fails, an alarm sounds, and you simply pull the bad one and replace it. The backup carries the load, and becomes the primary, and operation of the computer or whatever is never interrupted.

remember: these were servers. If there is one device you would want to have redundant, auto-switching, hot-swap power supplies, it would be a server. If a power supply fails, the other kicks in, and the server stays on line. Beautiful.

I can't believe that one is NEW. I'm almost tempted. I think I still want to hold out for a 700, though.

oh, yeah. One other thing.

these are dual-Bandit logic boards. One handles two slots, the other four. One of those .pdf's I downloaded from that cool ANS site explained it in detail. It was a Dev doc. Not the Service Source file (though that too was useful).

[This message has been edited by magician (edited 23 February 2001).]

Right. But what Bat is saying is that they aren't redundant. That seems damned strange, esp for a server. I can understand not being hotswappable (to some extent). Well, no I can't. But I have seen servers out there without hot-swap duals. Weird.

Hey wait, I just read the Service Source on the ANS 700 and it IS hot-swap redundant. So whomever had that ANS before you, Bat, sure messed things up inside.

I'd guess that they are redundant for three reasons.

1. I think that I remembered them saying, "dual redundant and load-sharing power supplies". If this is the case, what it means is that each power supply takes half of the load, and if one fails, the other picks up the slack. If you had an S900's motherboard in there, they may not be configured in that way. Do the schematics show two connectons to the motherboard for power? They could run through some cable or somethinf first I guess.

2. There was a QTVR (object movie) Apple made of the ANS where as you spun it around the drives popped out and the power supplies popped out of the bottom in the same manner. If this wasn't a feature, why would they show it like that?

3. Having two power supplies that did not work together would be stupid because, like a RAID 0, it's even more likely to fail than one (That's probably why it's called RAID 0, since it's not really redundant). In a server configuration, they're not likely going to make it twice as likely for the system to fail.

[This message has been edited by schalliol (edited 23 February 2001).]

If you look at the Apple Spec for the 700 here http://www.info.apple.com/info.apple...ec.taf?RID=214 , it shows Notes: Supports optional redundant hot-pluggable power supplies. If you look at the 500 here http://www.info.apple.com/info.apple...ec.taf?RID=185 it does not show that option. k

The ANS should be like all other hot-swap redundant units I have seen. BOTH supplies run through a "bridge" that outputs a single power connector. It is not the motherboard that has dual connectors, because then the drives would also have to have dual connectors, or some bastardized adapter. Gees, that'd be a great design. If you check out prices of having a server case with dual redundant supplies, it is WAY more than having one larger supply. If you add in the option to have it hot-swap, it is still more moulah. I would love to get one in my hands, just so I could disassemble it and see exactly what it is that goes on in there.

yeah, im a dumb ass. wasnt really paying attention. the 500 can run 2 power supplies that i assume are hot swappable, (i just figured out how to get to them-as mine came with no documentation) but apparently only shipped with one. you had to buy an additional ps. the one i have has 2 supplies, but the second is not from an ans-i think its probably from the umax and was put in at the same time as the motherboard. i guess that was easier than connecting the original ps to the new mobo.

finally got it running today. some interlock cable thingie had gotten detatched. running 8.6. now that its confirmed functional, ill probably start piecing it out in the near future. gotta make room for UMA2. if any of the following really blows your skirt up, let me know. might work something out:

ixMicro TwinTurbo

S900 mobo w/Appolo card and power supply

Asante Ethernet card (not sure of specifics...will check for anyone who is interested)

some 70ns ram

ANS ultrawide raid spine with some adapters (2 50 pin. 3 UW) i doubt the hot swappable functionality is there for anything but AIX, but you could make an enclosure such that you could pull the drives w/o opening anything.

ANS ethernet card (doesnt work with Mac OS, but should with LinuxPPC)

btw, i have the UMAX install disks if you need em, as well as the 12x scsi cd rom that shipped with the supermac.

So what happens to the old ANS motherboards as people install S900 boards in these machines? Are they showing up on the used market somewhere?

the guy who sold it said he doesnt know what he did with the old mobo, but wishes he had it because numerous people have contacted him hoping to buy it. He didnt know what they wanted it for, and neither do i. there is the ever present rumor that it can be made to run Mac OS, but I havent seen anyone who actually claims to have succeeded in that arena. you can run linux on it, but it seems to me, for all the trouble of it, you might as well go with something you can put a g3/g4 in. s900/9500 mobos are going for about $50 these days arent they?

I've decided that I must get my hands on an ANS board for my project discussed in the "Bandit Chip Pin Out" thread. However, I don't need a working one. I just need one that is reasonably intact and not missing any of the PCI related chips. So, if anyone has any leads or sees any leads on someone with a dead ANS board, I'd appreciate knowing. A live one would be okay, but I don't want to spend much. I need to trace like three wires on the board and copy down the part numbers on two chips, then I have no further use for the board, unless I salvage the Bandit chips.

Bat, I think S900 boards are still going for $70 - $80. I just paid $103 for a 9500 board. I may have overpaid, but it seems like complete PTP and 9500s are still bringing $300 so $100 for a MB seemed okay to me. I don't want a whole machine, as I don't want to pay to ship the heavy case.

I'll have to try that link for Linux/ANS users. Maybe some of them have a dead board or two.

Going back to the rumor discussion, where would one get a 9500 ROM anyway, since the ROM was soldered on the 9500 board? It's not too farfetched that the 9500 ROM would work with an ANS because the memory map seems to be very similar if not identical, but that very similar probably makes all the difference. Plus there're those extra SCSI busses on the board.