Thread: Anyone ever change the fan from PS of 9500?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I was wondering if anybody on this board knows the measurements for the fan inside the power supply of the 9500. I am contemplating replacing it with a quiet fan but wasn't sure if anyone makes a fan that will fit in it. Hoping to find someone with personal experience that is willing to hold my hand through this process. Any volunteers? TIA.

Dan

I haven't replaced the fan in that power supply, but the fans typically come in standard sizes. Usually, power supply fans are 80 or 90 mm on edge (square) and 25 mm thick though some are 15 mm thick. They almost always run off of 12 V. You can find replacements here: http://info.digikey.com/T013/V2/744.pdf in a variety of sizes. They Panasonic Panaflow HydroBearing fans are nicely quiet.

You'll notice that there are four or five models in each size and voltage and they have an L, M, H or U near the end of the part number. You'll want to stick to the models with an L or M because the H and U are higher air flow and just that much air moving makes a lot of noise.

As trag said, the fan sizing is mostly standardized, and models that you can find at a related vendor should be congruent. Again, I will emphasize that sleeve bearing fans get my seal of superiority over ball bearing models in terms of quietness per output. However, most manufacturers recommend changing sleeve bearing fans every two years.

Great! I'll have to take a look and see which size I need. Is it pretty simple getting into the power supply? Thanks again for the input!

Dan