Thread: adding 15k 36 gig seagate

adding a 15k 36 gig seagate HD to my miles 2's with 1 15k cheetah on each card.Can I physically move my 15k on the chain without having to redo the RAID?
    I'm thinking of opening the case, moving one 15k back a hook-up and adding the 36gig at the physical end of the chain, (if I remember Kayes instructions right).
    Let me kow your thoughts...

Terribly ambitious.

Should be no problem at all ...

The RAID is set to talk to specific drives based on their ID numbers, not their physical location on the bus

Now - I suppose you're just adding the new drive as an extra volume and not as part of the existing RAID - if the latter, then you would need to do some rejigging of the software.

Chris

Terri,

Yes, the new one, not part of the striped RAID, goes last on the chain. And I would connect it to the Miles2 in PCI slot 1. I know it works there and have not tried that config off of the Miles2 in slot 4. k

Thanks for the help. need more fast storage....

Terrible day to be inside

Where did those nifty fans that fit on flat metal side of the HD go? Going to build a RAID rack below floppy bracket, want fan that attaches to top of HD, (not ultimate cooler), can't find it on these pages...must be getting old.

Terribly lost

Never mind, found them with a search...

[This message has been edited by tekcan (edited 31 August 2001).]

What do you think of this set-up:

PTP200(500/250 XLR8)
    320 MB RAM
    Slot 1>Miles 2>15K Cheetah 18 gig
    Slot 4>Miles 2>15K Cheetah 18 gig
    Striped level 0 RAID
    Slot 5>ATI VR 128 Video capture and monitor card
    Slot 6>IMX Twin turbo 8 MB
    OS 8.6

External Burly HD
    two old Full hieght 9.1 gig Seagates
    Striped level 0 RAID (used softraid, wow, what an improvement in operation!)

Yamaha 16/10/40 CD Burner>narrow internal SCSI
    Original TEAC CD 12 speed
    Original 2.1 gig Seagate>narrow internal SCSI

I use softraid, CD Speed tools, HD Speed tools, Toast 5. Am making movies and burning video CDs.

What I'm thinking of adding 2 15k 36 gig Seagates, adding them physically to the end of my chain, (using the stock miles2 cabling), one on each miles2 and striping them level 0 RAID.Also adding a couple 128 MB RAM sticks (Interleaved, of course).

Am I mad, or just Terribly fiendishly clever?

Terri,

I think the idea is fine, but you are getting into unknown territory in that you will have two striped RAIDs on the dual Miles2 if I read your post correctly. I don't know for certain how the Miles2 cards will like that as well as the Initio LVD cables. And is the Burly connected to one Miles2 or both?

The RAM is a very good idea. k

FYI -

I hooked up 11 drives to my MilesU2
    3 internal off the stock twisted pair cable
    8 external off GRANITE twisted pair & term.

2 of the internals were RAID-0
    Varous drives in the external case were RAID-0 ( I think I had a 3 drive RAID)

It worked great. Of course it could be different with 2 SCSI cards - A LOT FASTER

I think he should be fine as long as he sticks to mostly granite and granite TP/LVD cabling and Ultra2 drives or newer.

The burly is attached to the old 50 pin external SCSI, so it's not a miles2 issue,(purely for back-up, whopping 6 MB's per second!)

I think I can get away with a second RAID 0 off the two cards.

1)One Level 0 RAID with two 15k 18 gig, revision 3's.

2)Another Level 0 RAID 15k 36 gig (latest revision).

One 15k 18 gig and one 15k 36 gig per miles2.

I have nothing else attached to these cards but the 15k 18 gigs at this time.

If anyone has anything like this, let me know your results.....I'm sorta surprised no ones tried it! (other than Dragonx)

My only other option would be to add a single large fast 72 gig drive or four more 18 gig HD's. Frankly I'm spoiled by the 15k performance, so I dont want to go slower.

I agree about the granite cabling, I should invest as I'm sure I'm close to saturation with even at two 15k's on the original twisted cables.

We just got a titanium at work with OSX. Gee, what a toy! Of course they let me set it up for video, firewire-wise, can't wait to try some things out on it. Love OSX, love the HUGE screen! Just wish it had SCSI...Ha, HA.

Terrible trying the impossible..

Terry,

I added an 8-bay Burly with six X15s configured as two separate channels so I connected the Burly with two external Granite LVD cables to the 2x Miles2 cards but just one internal 10k LVD Cheetah boot drive connected to the Miles2 in slot 1. That worked just fine but is not nearly what you propose nor what d_x has done. k

What to do?
    Well, I can't find anything in Softraids guide to support my idea, but I do have to add more fast storage.

My current configuration is booting from my 2 15k 18gig Cheetahs one per miles2, striped RAID 0, (write through checked). Softraid suggests a separate fast HD on the miles2 as boot disk and writing to the RAID.When I first upgraded I could only afford to do the RAID first, then look at a separate boot drive after I knew it all would work in my particular machine.

I'm assuming that my applications should also be on the boot disk, but since I haven't seen it written in stone anywhere, I just have to ask...it only makes sense to me to have apps and system on the same HD, but I have been wrong before...I like the idea of a separate boot disk with system & apps on it as I can purge my RAID often and it would help with defragmentation if I could just purge the RAID and start clean, the only question being what Fast HD should I use?

Should I get a 15k 36gig for a boot disk and partition it for system & apps on first partition and somewhat fast storage on the second partition?

Or get a 15k 18gig for boot disk and someday be able to make it a third drive on my RAID 0?

Or, should I just add a third 15k 18gig to my RAID 0 and software partiton a boot disk, (Faster, faster!)? Jeeze, it's never easy, is it?

Also a couple quick questions for Kaye:

What stripe unit size are you using? I'm set at the default 128 sized block. Softraid suggests you can up these numbers and improve video performance.

Under drive mode parameters I have the following settings:
    Buffer full "0"
    Buffer empty "0"
    Softraid says lowering these numbers improve performance, but when your set to "0", there's nowhere to go!

Write cache enabled is checked (as suggested) and number of cache segments is set to 20.
    Is this the ideal set-up?

I may end up doing as Louie has and moving my RAID to one card to get around the write-through issue, but hate giving up my 70's read-write performance.I don't want to move everything around and not see an overall gain, just want the fastest performance I can get out of my set-up.Can't wait forever for the fix that never may come.I know the write-through thing is holding me back and would like to know what you have found is the best way to get around this problem. I like Louies ideas, but I don't relish cracking my case and completely redoing my RAID on one card. Bad enough I'll have a hell of a time getting more RAM in the case with all the cables stuff I have in the 5.25 & 3.5 drive bays.

As usual, I'd like to thank you guys for helping me over the past two years, (has it really been that long?), You helped me save my old stock PTP200 from the scrap pile and turned it into a machine that easily trumps the performance of the G3's and G4's we have at work.It's reliable and stable as it's ever been, thanks to your expert advice. After years of buying the wrong RAM and incompatible hardware, you guys taught me what I needed to know to make a rock-solid upgrade. I wouldn't consider putting another dime in this machine without your feedback.

Terrible need for speed...

[This message has been edited by tekcan (edited 09 September 2001).]

Terry,

Jeeze, you're right, it is never easy, especially with so many options.

What I do, since my striped RAIDs get changed so often for testing various things such as different SCSI cards, different firmware, various versions of SoftRAID, etc., is partition a boot disk, presently a 10k Cheetah in the PTP. Its first volume/partition is OS9.1. OS 8.6 is the second volume. Then the last volume is for applications.

SoftRAID, Install Driver, I have 256 Max Concurrent IOs (tho you can set this slider higher, it won't take a higher setting) and 1369 Memory Pool Size with Write Acceleration and Read Acceleration On. Mode Parameters, I have set both Buffer Full and Buffer Empty to zero. Write Cache Enable checked, and Number of cache segments 23. You cannot set 23 in SoftRAID. I use HDT to set it. BTW, the G2 X15s 18GB come set for 28 cache segments. I have not experimented with that because the G2 X15s are so fast already, but will later. The G1 X15s I did test a boatload of cache segment settings both higher and lower.

In setting up a striped RAID, SoftRAID uses something they call Stripe Units (SU). So 128SU = 64KB stripes. I use 256SU which equals 128KB stripes. Worked best for me. k