Thread: isub and apple pro speakers on an old power mac

I am interested in buying the apple pro speakers and isub combo for use on my Power computing machine. I have a usb card installed and currently am using several different usb devices with no problem, including the apple pro keyboard, optical mouse ,usb hub, scanner, printer, etc.. But I am not sure if these speakers will work on my older system. I understand that an apple mini speaker plug is required for use with the pro speakers ,but the isub is a usb device. so my idea was to plug the pro speakers into the sub and the sub into my usb card..... Is that all I would need to do?? I sure hope so cause i think those speakers sure look sweet :-)

Thanks for any advice.
    Joe M

I do not think that those speakers will work - you need navtive USB for that. The sound sticks might work - because they are only USB (not an amplified mini-jack). I would check Outpost.com - they should have the requirements listed for the SoundSticks - at least.

With 8.6 Apple gave CD audio the ability to run over the data bus (SCSI, IDEA/TA, etc..), but the default Apple drivers did not take advantage of this (you need sound jam or iTunes or something). With 9.x the sound travels over the bus, but I've heard it can sound flat on older systems - maybe due to timing issues. I havent noticed any difference on my old systems - but others have. I would think this feature would be important if you wanted to try to run sound over the Universal Serial Bus.

Someone else should know for sure.

------------------
    Life in the fast lane leads to:
    The Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe

FWIW: I noticed a marked improvement in CD sound quality after upgrading to OS 9 on my 8500. Probably due to the fact that there is only 1 D/A conversion. The shortest, cleanest signal path is always best.

------------------
    I started out with nothing.
    I still have most of it left!

Try this link. It may help explain things in more detail:
    http://lowendmac.com/tf/010531.html

Dan