Thread: Upgrading 8500 to 9.2.2

Greetings,

I have an 8500 tower with a Sonnet 450MHz G4, running OS 9.1. I have the updaters for 9.2.1 and 9.2.2, but when I launch the installers, they inform me that they won't run on my computer.

My question is, would I gain anything by upgrading this machine to 9.2.2, and if so, how can I do it?

Thanks!
    Perry

you can cheat, but little point. You can extract the FireWire extensions if need by (TombViewer). you can use the later Drive Setup 2.07 (TombViewer) and maybe Disk First Aid is updated.

but 9.1 is fine and outside of some extensions and drivers, stick with 9.1. some would say it is faster and earier on the memory footprint.

Hi TZ,

What I'm trying to do is buy a tiny bit more time before the inevitable -- upgrading to an OS X-capable computer. I'm looking at a couple of current apps that require a minimum system of 9.2.2. I'm just wondering what it is in 9.2.2 that these apps have to have, that isn't in 9.1.

Thanks much for the reply!
    PB

Hmm... I wonder why my reply to your message shows up BEFORE your message on the page, yet the original message is still at the TOP...

We like to do things, "top down" so the original is on top, then newest replies, so you can easily see the latest in a thread without hunting for the bottom or where you left off. Addictive once you get use to it, and real is harder to go back - when I visit other forums, I wish they did it this way (MacFixit does know enough to take you to the unread messages, which is okay, too).

Developers (and Apple) don't want to be bothered or test with anything but the latest OS is all. In OS X, if you want the latest Safari web browser or fixes, you update to current OS level (10.3.2 currently).

Is there a program that won't work with 9.1? Maybe. And there are hardware controllers that need to be updated to work with 9.2.1/9.2.2, so it cuts both ways.

I just removed my links to "OS 9 Helper" that lets you install 9.2.2 on pre-Beige G3. You can check out the G3-Zone or search Google or xlr8yourmac.com or MacGurus. Or just backup your system (always a good first step and update to 9.2.2; OR, backup, and install the app on 9.1 and see.

Thanks again TZ!

Perry

Chech this out?
    http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/...k.cfm?topic=32
    I have used it on my 8600/sonnetg3-500 Mac and it works as advertized.
    almaink

The link is to a registered forum. No need - just link to OS9Helper on lowend Mac or elsewhere. Also, we debated the pros and cons of upgrading past 9.1, or just extract a specific extension package.

I would think Macupdate.com would have a link to download OS9Helper as well.

quote:
    Originally posted by TZ:
    The link is to a registered forum. No need - just link to OS9Helper on lowend Mac or elsewhere. Also, we debated the pros and cons of upgrading past 9.1, or just extract a specific extension package.

I would think Macupdate.com would have a link to download OS9Helper as well.

J
    ust click on the download like on the link I provided, No need to register unless you want forum help. TZ I gave that link because it explains why you may need 9.2.2 for some software to work. I never participated it the debate but like I said it's been on my 8600 for almost a year now without any problems.

1. Compatibility with ATI's latest drivers. ATI dropped support for OpenGL versions lower than 1.2.2. (9.1 has 1.2.1)

(not essential)

2. You can't run DVD Studio Pro 1.5 or 1.2.1 without 9.2.2.

3. You can't run Final Cut Pro 3 without 9.2.2.

4. Full compatibility with iPod.

===================

http://www.os9forever.com/

Direct file download link:

http://www.os9forever.com/downloads/.../os9helper.sit