Thread: Speed of CDR Speedtools vs CDR Toolkit?

On one of the Macgurus pages it says that in spite of their preference for Intech's CD-ROM Speedtools:

: [FWB] CD-ROM Toolkit remains the fastest driver available for third-party
    : CD-ROM

Is this really true? I had read that Toolkit didn't support asynchronous transfers, while Speedtools did. I would think that this would make Toolkit the slower of the two.

Peter

A qualified yes. In my tests back when I was running a Toshiba 40x SCSI, comparing CDT 3.x and an early version of SpeedTools (can't remember which, but the control panel settings for acceleration were the same as now, but it is impossible to know what is under the hood), CDT was significantly faster. CDT uses small amounts of RAM and hard drive space as caches to accelerate CD-ROM performance. It also allows you to tune and save individual CD titles. So you can both tune the drive and change those settings for specific CD's and save those settings. CDT will then use those saved specific CD settings, instead of the general saved drive settings, the next time you put that CD in the drive.

All that said, when I switched to a Kenwood 52X TrueX SCSI CD-ROM drive, I had to use SpeedTools, because the Kenwood was not recognized, and still is not, by CDT. Also, every update/upgrade by CDT costs. Every update/upgrade in SpeedTools is free.

One other appreciable CD speed boost with both CDT and SpeedTools I discovered, with OS8.0 and earlier, Speed Doubler's "Faster Disk Performance" would give faster reads with a CD-ROM drive. OS8.1 (and later) with the advent of HFS+ causes this option to disappear. I have played with the settings of SpeedTools and can't see an appreciable difference.

CDT is SCSI Manager 4.3 compliant. In fact if you are going to drive a jukebox with CDT, it has to be, either native or the extension in earlier OS's. So CDT has to support both async and sync transfers. k

blah!blah!blah! michael will be along in a minute. he's a certified genius, good-looking, and shreds guitars....

did it work?
    M

Batsignal invoked to will!

> In my tests back when I was running a Toshiba 40x SCSI, comparing
    > CDT 3.x and an early version of SpeedTools (can't remember which, but
    > the control panel settings for acceleration were the same as now, but it
    > is impossible to know what is under the hood), CDT was significantly
    > faster.

Have you tested out recent versions of SpeedTools and/or Toolkit? Also, how do you use to measure the performance of CD-ROM driver? Intech has a free demo of CDST on their site, so I'd like to check it out.

Peter

I haven't tested recent versions. The Toshiba drive is in storage. I'm using the Kenwood drives that are not recognized by CDT, only SpeedTools.

I tested with MacBench 5 CD, the CD-ROM test and the individual CD Inspection read tests. k

it's been a long, long time since that page was written (whichever it was), and there is no telling, really, which is faster at this point. Considering Intech's overall engineering superiority, I would be surprised if it were still a true statement.

if you'd like to point me at the page, I might be able to get more specific.

> I tested with MacBench 5 CD, the CD-ROM test and the individual CD
    > Inspection read tests.

Do you know of any other software out there that I can use to test CD-ROM speeds, preferably one in which I don't have to use a specific CD? Although MacBench is available to download, I can't get the MacBench CD, so I can't carry out the CDR tests using MacBench.

Peter

> if you'd like to point me at the page, I might be able to get more
    > specific.
    www.macgurus.com/graphics/mgfwbsoftware.html

in the second paragraph after the heading "The Method Behind the Madness"

Peter

did i read correctly in that paragraph that HDST and CDST are compatible back to a mac plus and sys 6?

still got a se/30 to build.

kj

that is correct!

ok. I'll have a look at that page and see if I can overhaul it.

I'm wondering....didn't we ever post a MacBench 5 CD image? That would probably be stepping over the line, I guess.....back when that page was written, we had been doing head-to-head testing with HDST and CDST against FWB HDT and CDT. We also incorporated SoftRAID, Drive Setup, and ExpressRAID.

I guess you all know what we learned.

The only other CD test application I know of is for PC's here http://users.glo.be/~erikd/main.htm and click NEW for another page that provides download links. I don't know if it would run under VirtualPC or not. My guess is that it would, but never tried it. Oh, and there is the Ziff-Davis WinBench series of CD's. They do work under VirtualPC because I have tried them. I think, but am not positive, that they have one or more CD tests. k

> The only other CD test application I know of is for PC's
    > I don't know if it would run under VirtualPC or not.
    > My guess is that it would, but never tried it.

Well, it works great under my OrangePC. The problem is, though, that when I run a CD under OrangePC, it uses its own driver (OPCSCSI.MPD) rather than the Mac drivers, so I wouldn't be able to use it to test CD-ROM speeds under different Mac drivers.

Peter

Duh, I should have known that Peter. A little later I will send you an email. k

Well, a kind individual was nice enough to share a MacBench CD with me, so I was able to run a preliminary comparison. I compared an older version of CDR Toolkit (3.02) with the latest demo version of CDR Speedtools (5.70), meaning that, if anything, I'd biased this test in favor of Speedtools. What I found, however, was that in the test of overall performance, CDR Toolkit 3.02 outperformed CDR Speedtools by about a 5:4 ratio. (Yes, I did control for cache size and tested at 128, 256, and 4096K results were consitant across different cache sizes.) I can only imagine that CDR Toolkit 4.01 is as fast or faster than 3.02.

I dislike FWB's ripoff policy on upgrades as much as MacGurus, but since I already have CDR Toolkit and an upgrade is only about $20 and its faster, I'm going to stick with Toolkit rather than switch to Speedtools. Once I get the latest version of Toolkit, I'll run another comparison and let you know how it went.

Peter

thanks for the update! I look forward to seeing what happens with the new version of CDT.

> thanks for the update! I look forward to seeing what happens with the
    > new version of CDT.

I just tried this out. CDT 4.01 is exactly the same speedwise as CDT 3.02, in fact, it was slower by up to 2% on some tests, though this could have been just random deviation in test conditions. (Both versions tested faster than CD Speedtools, though.) It wouldn't even have been worth doing an upgrade, but I needed it for the new Plextor 40X that I picked up.

I should note that in spite of FWB's assertions to the contrary, the 3.02 versions of both the HDT and CDT drivers are compatable with OS 9.1.

Peter

It's true that FWB Hard Disk Toolkit 3.0.2 will run under OS 9.1 but FWB Configure will not.

In terms of long term reliability, would you want to run FWB Hard Disk Toolkit 3.0.2 under OS 9.1? No telling what would happen. I would not want to test that. k

> In terms of long term reliability, would you want to run FWB Hard Disk
    > Toolkit 3.0.2 under OS 9.1? No telling what would happen. I would not
    > want to test that.

I've been running it for several months now, actually. I'll be switching over to the latest version of SoftRaid once I install the Initio Miles card that's coming in the mail, but if I wasn't upgrading my SCSI and drives, I'd probably stay with HDT 3.0.2 its been reliable enough.

Peter