Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New CD/DVD SpeedTools

Intech has just released v 5.7. See http://www.IntechUSA.com/

I downloaded it earlier and am having trouble installing it.....it gives me a "restart with extensions off" msg.

Works fine for me on 2 machines. I will have to read up on it, but it now includes ATAPI digital playback. Or did it always and I am an ignorant weenie? Has anyone noticed tremendous performance gains by tweaking the streaming cache? I have gotten some good results with the directory cache. Just never fooled around with the streaming.

They seem to say to leave streaming cache set at Auto.

The Atapi DA box is new.

tm; maybe you got a bad download. Works fine for me.

Doggy,

I have experimented with both on my Kenwood 52X TrueX SCSI. Settled on 4M for Directory Cache but could find no gains with Streaming Cache with any setting other than AUTO, testing with MB5 CD-ROM tests. k

Same thing here, K. I understand what the streaming cache settings should do, I just have never been able to get measurable gains....like you.

Any luck, tm?

I'm seeing close to 100% increase in performance with 5.7 using a PTP and a Plextor 40x scsi. Getting about 2.7 mb/sec with 5.7 vs. 1.4 mb/sec digital audio extraction using 5.6. So now I can burn cd to cd at 12x. Nice.....

I just leave mine at defaults.

where's my beer...

I tried several downloads and was not able to install until i pulled the actual installer out of the folder it unstuffed into, and ran it from the desktop.....strange but true*L*

should never burn serious audio CDs faster than 4X. in fact, most audio pros burn them at 2X. anything over 4 introduces digital error rates. that might not be noticeable on lower end consumer electronics or your car stereo, but it sure is noticeable on high end gear. they also might not play in some machines. for data of course, 12X is fine.
    just a small suggestion
    M

Michael,

I didn't know that. Guess I'll stick with 2x for audio burns. k

if you're interested, i'll send you the documentation. actually, it really is a high end thing. though you may have noticed that audio CDs burned at a high rate are often very temperamental about what systems they will play back on. CD mastering decks all burn at 1X or tops 2X. for real.
    M

Michael, maybe it's a stoopid question, but why is it that 12x would be fine for data but not for music? Does it have to do with the format of the CD whether it's for music or data?

I retract my install success story..i checked my control panel and it was still 5.6. So i trashed everything to do with Speedtools (except the guide*L*) and took a copy of 5.6 and 5.7 from the FTP site....i was able to install 5.6 without a problem......but 5.7 gave me the same error....i even tried with extensions off and no luck......can i just copy the files out of the "extras" folder and be done with it? or do i need it to go thru the install? I had this same problem with 5.5,

Michael,

You don't need to send me the docs, I'll just burn at 2x. k

Copying the files should work. Be sure to change them all; CP, player in Apple Menu, Cache Monitor, Peripheral View, Manual, Read Me.

I can't imagine what you are doing. Are you using the password?

Yes ..all i am doing is unstuffing the file with the password....installing the program....it runs thru all the steps and comes back with install error...so i tried pulling the installer to the desktop and running that ,,,,it goes thru the same steps and says that the install was a sucsess....only it never installs anthing.....who knows...but copyingt all the stuff seems to have worked.

i'll pop something in here as the subject seems to fit. in burning music cd's is there right or wrong in choosing media? say platinum vs silver, etc, etc, etc. is there any one media that seems to perform better in standart retail cd players? just looking for some laymans info for a better burn.

thanks
    kj

Nashua makes a nice "audio only" media that seems to be the only cd-r that will play in my home theater DVD player.....i don't think there is any one media that will perform in every situation. As for my Install issue and the unmentioned "ton of crashing" i have been experiencing the past week, i updated my TTP and ran that on my raid as well as running NU on it....i got some VERY major problems that i think i have taken care of...first TTP told me i have Media failure and needed to back up and re-initialize...i found that to be a bit troubling so i went to NU and was told i have had major issues with allocation bits and a couple of other major things...i rebooted from NU and fixed all that and then booted from TTP and fixed everything.....i wonder how much of this is affecting my "crashing"....we'll see.