Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Changed Forum Display Template

?I changed the templates for the forum so every browser would use the same one. The way it was before IE and Netscape were displaying one way and all other browsers were on a different template.

?Please let me know if this is better or worse for you.

Rick

Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?

Mozilla Firebird - there are now black bands for every other message. Not viewable.

Camino is also built from the Mozilla trunk and has the same display issue of every other message "blacked out" - but able to see the EDIT button.

OmniWeb 4.5B1 is okay thankfully.

[This message was edited by Gregory on Sat June 07, 2003 PT at 9:15.]

For me, using Exploder 5.1.5 in OS9 and 5.2.2 in 10.2.6, much better. Before, I couldn't see any of the stuff at the top of any page to the right of MacGurus Tech Forums unless I logged in and selected the more compatible page choice. k

?What the heck! All I did was shut off the Mozilla/IE advanced template and force all browsers to use the less fancy template. Shouldn't 'CAUSE' anything.

?Please keep me advised, I can get some pretty fast support now through Infopop's support group.

Rick

Hey Ricks, Looks great and easier to navigate using Internet Explorer 5.1, Netscape 7.0 has the blackened out areas (not ureadable)for New Mac Users Forum,IDE Storage Upgrades,SCSI,Firewire,etc
    I could send you a screenshot of eash if that would help.

dave

??My brain is broke. I thought sure I'd checked the new template on Netscape, obviously not. Looks like the old color is being misread as black, I can fix that! New color time.

?Thanks for the kick in the pants Macaholic, keep drinking down that Mac drink.

Rick

I lied. Netscape, actually mozilla insists that I have no color preference set and defaults to black. I have returned IE and Netscape to the fancy but yuckie graphics.... Hopefully not for long.

Rick

IE 5.2 works fine on OSX.2.6 and i don't have a problem at all. But i know Safari is still in beta, but when i use the forum with Safari i can't get into my Prefrences or change them. And it won't work with safari on my G4 450 or the G4 DP1.25.

I'm sure your not worried about safari at this time, but thought i throw that in there.

Other then that its a great forum and i love how the icons let you know whats new since you last saw the page.

Vince34
    G4 1.25 DP (MDD/FW800) -- 1.25gig Ram -- 2x18gig SCSI -- 40gig & 80gig ATAs (all Seagates)
    ATi Radion 9000 -- 21 Inch Apple Studio Display

quote:
    It is not the power of the Raging Demon...but you past sins that will be your undoing

Hey Ricks,your doing a great job .Kind of looked like the old site...you are on the right track! And Kaye did a cool job with the new logo. Forgive me if I picture that on a t-shirt,or a cap. I would buy one.......

dave

More on Navigator/Mozilla - it's when I disable the advanced features that the black bars show.

I prefer that in some browsers to that the reply can be a larger window and offer a subject line to each individual reply.

Might want to not allow disabling in some browsers. I wish that I didn't have to logout/login to enable or disable the interface, that it was in MyPop preferences for display instead.

At least now I know how/why.

Here's the post on the UBB.x bug forum:

quote:
    posted June 08, 2003 07:46 PM
    ?Greetings,
    ?I previously posted a bug where OSX Mail App has a problem with the notification email being solid black.

?In what I believe is a related issue I have run into a problem with Mozilla (all browsers running mozilla) where when I turn off 3.x Images and run 2.x images as primary the Alternate Row colors are black. I tried changing the selected color many times but the given is that if I am running 2.x images all versions of mozilla display black on alternating rows.

?The other key here is that if I delete the entire Alternate Row Color field entry EVERY browser shows the Aleternate Row color as black. Appears that mozilla is not reading the alternate row color settings on Macs.

?I have returned Netscape and IE to 3.x Images for now where Netscape/mozilla is able to get the correct colors (makes you wonder why). I was really pleased with the better control I had on appearance and functionality for OSX browsers when I was able to have them all in 2.x Images so if there is a fix it would be much appreciated.

?Here's to MacOS browsers getting better!

Hopefully they figure out how to fix this stuff.

Rick

Cool, the answer was to add a '#' sign before the selected color, mozilla will default to black without it.

We are all now on the less 'advanced' interface that looks WAY better.

Let me know what you all think.

Rick

WOW!

This is great. Thanks so much for all your hard work comrade, err, Ricks.

I have a soft spot for those soveiet-style graphics, great to see they are still here. And the features are a nice edition too; it will take a bit to figure out, but seem pretty straight forward.

I am viewing via Camino, and everything looks great so far.

Just cause I love it!

[This message was edited by newbie on Tue June 10, 2003 PT at 0:27.]

Newbie,,,,,

?You are too kind. I keep bringin up problems with tech support on the new forums and they keep showing me where I'm the weenie who can't configure it right. Surprised they haven't kicked us out yet, they just don't know Mac users yet I guess!

?I am having fun though, it's all new. I need to move my computer to the bathroom where I can get some relief though

?Hope you're not too attached to the soviet thing, as you can see we are starting to move in other directions. The old TechSupport header you posted is more a blast from the past than a trend. I still liked the star and toolkit icons for new posts but we'll create something one of these days to go along with Kaye's cool Gurus Header Graphics! They look great, kinda surprised an airplane driver can do that sort of thing.

Rick

No, not too attached. I guess I just like that the Gurus had a unique theme. Seems like everybody else is clean and slick, which is fine.... I just like the Think Different thing.

I was a history major, and I got to spend a few days in Moscow in '89 just before the wall came down, so I guess I had more of a soft spot for the look than most.

The most important thing is that the forum alive, history and all. Everything else is fluff. Thanks again to everyone who makes it possible.

Ok, since I used to get slapped with this in design school, It's become a pet peeve of mine.. the "Soviet" design style was actually part of the Constructivist Design movement which started in Russia during the 20's and 30's. It somewhat preceded and influenced the Bauhaus movement in Germany and the De Stijl movement in the Netherlands.

"The Constructivist movement originated with a pair of sculptors from Moscow -? Naum Gabo and Antoine Pevsner -- who wrote the Realistic Manifesto in 1920. From there, the movement infiltrated other mediums for the next decade or so before it morphed into the International Modern movement.

?Efficiency for its purpose? was the motto of the designers involved in this movement, which was linked to mass production and industry -- essentially for the purpose of constructing a new post-war political and social paradigm. Constructivist design was realized by a variety of designers and architects throughout Europe who concentrated on the formal relationships between the structure and the space it occupies, with all ornamentation and accessorizing discarded. Although the Constructivists had high ideals, funds were lacking for even the most basic construction projects, let alone experimental ones.

Germany had the biggest collection of groups falling under the Constructivist umbrella, while Holland furnished the most prolific manifestations of Constructivism in relation to design, with the cone, sphere, and cylinder describing essential structural forms. Utilizing the latest technological advancements in both materials and construction techniques, designers including Le Corbusier, Theo van Doesberg, the De Stijl followers, and even the up-and-coming Bauhaus designers dove head first into Constructivist explorations."

I know I know.. I'm nit picking.. sorry.

Hey JayPee,

?Actually, that's is pretty interesting stuff. And around here you'll never get anyone complaining that someone is 'nitpicking', we're pretty free wheeling on this forum. Besides, what good's a classical education if you can't use the stuff once in a while?

?We are pretty highbrow around here!

Rick

[This message was edited by ricks on Tue June 10, 2003 PT at 19:17.]

JayPee,

Can you provide links for examples of Bauhaus movement and the De Stijl movement in the Netherlands? Just curious what they look like. k

I have been away the past few days. The site really looks great Rick. I like the changes. - Randy

Thanks for the slap JayPee!

My Russian is little rusty, but I think this translates to: "Comrades! Come see the new G5s with dual 970s, pulverizing I/O, Panther, and wireless mice and keyboards for the masses!"

http://www.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/lirsk/bildseit/korabl.htm

And I am pretty sure these are shots taken up at Infinite Loop in Cupertino...

http://www.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/lirsk/...it/dejnek3.htm

This one is harder to read; something about breaking free from the chains of Redmond?

http://www.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/lirsk/bildseit/deni3.htm

[This message was edited by newbie on Tue June 10, 2003 PT at 23:47.]