Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Forum is up.

Greetings fellow Gurus.

??Well, So far this is a pretty weird feeling site. There are still a ton of configs to do before it's done. A bunch of things look good on one browser and terrible on another browser. And to top it all off we all have to learn a bunch of stuff just to use the darn thing.

?However happiness is still having all the foru in place and up to date.

?Hope all is well with everyone, make yourselves at home. Advice and requests are very welcome.

Rick

My first reply didn't make it but I wasn't expecting the site to already be online until Friday or the weekend - amazing job!

Gregory

I'm using Mozilla only because Safari and OmniWeb wouldn't let me. Mozilla is actually fast, very complete, and works well with java - so you might want to try it out.

I've always thought disabling java and javascript and preventing popups and unrequested windows was good, but it may not be possible anymore.

In OmniWeb I have it set to manual, not automatic, and to respond only from clicking. OmniWeb 4.2.1 works, but 4.5sp26 would not.

Text size is small, icons are sometimes hard to guess the meaning, but I expect users will have more options to control display preferences down the road.

Not sure why Safari wouldn't work.

Of course MSIE works, mostly, but I have set it to "alert on exceeptions" for all scripts, and that came up and interferred. (Version Tracker always has scripting errors.)

I couldn't figure out who to edit or delete a post (something I am in the habit of doing.

- G.

[This message was edited by Gregory on Thu May 15, 2003 PT at 10:34.]

?I haven't had any problem with actually getting on the forum, just the views, fonts and layout are so very different from browser to browser.

?This is my first reply, the reply window is a sight! Trying a few of the old icons to see what happens :kickass:

?I can't wait to figure out how come the images won't change in the control panel. I have been unable to load any of our custom Gurus images except the background color. So we are stuck with the UBB.x title header for now.

?The other thing I haven't figured out is the layout. I got it to do 'latest at top' thread views except it leaves the original post at the very top and adds replys bottom up. Very strange. Might be better that way even, you guys'll have to let me know whether to change to something else.

Rick

OWC support forum has the original post on top also, with replies in reverse order. works for me.

I think new visitors will be less confused.

- G.

WOO HOO!

Thanks to Ricks and all who made this happen!

30 minutes for editing a post is tight. Also means that fixing a URL will be harder, but...

"What's New Since Last Edit" has been a frequent request, and make for less work in the AM, that I hope it can be more clearly displayed.

- G.

The javascript side of working with images has really got me stuck. I've tried it in OSX with Netscape 6, Netscape 7, and two versions of Safari and on Solaris with Netscape 4.76 (on which the site is unusably HUGE in text display), none of which can execute the scripts to assign images.

The Gurus custom "smilies" (dancer, phat, etc.) are all in that sort of category where we have to assign the tag string and associate the image in those JavaScript-rich management pages. I believe that once we have the management bits working, they'll show up in the smiley pulldown when you're posting.

Glad to see the gang reassembling on the new site!!

Jazzbo

?I agree that the new 'Since Last Visit' page is not workin correctly. In fact the front page doesn't lose ANY of the 'New Posts' icons for me. Anything posted today seems to hold the New Post icon.

?I will correct the 30 minute Edit thing. Probably go back to edit anytime. I think we'd rather have accuracy on a tech site than accountability, which is the difference when we have open edit vs time limited edit. (I've removed a post of mine own after several days when better/correct information came to light making said post a liability)

?Keep up the comments, I'm making a list.

?Here's to Jazzbo figuring out the Java thing and getting our icons working. I miss ol' kickass already

Rick

While the site shows fine in Safari, I couldn't use the LOGIN button. Trying to reply to a post though gave me the chance to login.

Does it care that I'm logged in on multiple web browsers? Does that create confusion? When I come to the site, it shows me as one of those online, along with the "You are not logged in. LOGIN or register"

If a tree fell and no one was there to hear it, it still happened. But if you don't logout, how long are you shown as logged in? and is it "safe" to be using multiple browsers at the same time?

How does the forum determine someone is "present" or not?

Getting too heavy.

- G.

Okay, just a quicky update on the conversion status stuff I'm working on...

First off, due to (I hope!) a fairly obscure issue with the "serial" numbers set in the out-going and new DNS tables for the macgurus.com domain, I've been watching name servers flipping back and forth between the new InfoPop addresses and the old ones. We've got a ticket open with InfoPop to see if we can trump the old server's tables with a higher serial number in the new table.

Until then, you may at random wind up back at the old, offline site. Bear with us. I think once we get this resolved the routings will stabilize.

BTW, that's why I've got the forums running under macgurus.com/... rather than W3.macgurus.com/... and once we get the DNS woes cured, it'll move back to www.

Second, I also don't grok in fullness the "posts since I last checked" scenaria, and mine is the opposite of what some of you are reporting. Everything is reported as already-seen. Heh-heh: we'll get it eventually.

Jazzbo

Edited posts don't (yet) show they were last edited - no need to edit the last line, but no way to see it was changed.

Would like to see in "Today's...." the person/date last updated. Oddly, that is switched in the "New since last visit" (or was).

The downside, is that I hate to have so many threads announcing that I've been in there. looks... horrible to have me hitting the reply button so often...

- G.

?Should I turn off that feature? (who the last reply was by) I think I remember that being part of the selectable items.

R

New update: just got off the phone with tech support and he's working the DNS serial number problem.

Jazzbo

If I want to reply, I can't (using OmniWeb anyway) see the original thread and messages. In MSIE it would put up a little reply window. Maybe all these browers that block pop ups are trouble?

Anyway, I want to reply and not quote the original, and I didn't realize there was a window frame in the window... never did like that... use to exist in MSIE and some forums like bbs.xlr8yourmac.com (AYM seems to be the acronym).

Any options? do I need to allow popups? use another browser? OmniWeb 4.5 is my favorite for now... and I have disabled "stacking" and "cascading" windows. when MSIE gets one small window, all new windows become small also it seems.

- G.

Wow! That was a short wait for the forums, considering how long we've waited (and are still waiting...) for the rest of the site! Great job guys!

That said, I wanted to make a few comments about how things are looking in an AOL browser (5.0). I do use Netscape and IE occasionally, but out of habit I still use mostly the AOL (IE) browser. The first thing that is a problem is the size of the font in all the headings - much too small! The text is perfect, but some of the headings are nearly imperceptible. I had to enlarge my fonts to the Large (2nd highest) setting, just to get them so I can read them. And a lot of the icons on the page are miniscule. Im probably not telling you anything that you don't already know, but wanted to commment anyway.

Another interesting thing - in Netscape there appear some pull down menus (New, Find, My Space, and Tools) at the top of the page, very nice! But, they don't appear on either the AOL or IE 4.5 browser. Different icons down the left side, too.

One more thing - if you can set fonts, Verdana is great for text, but lousy for headings unless in all caps because of the short x-height.

Ok, I'll leave it at that for now. I have confidence things will look much better the next time I visit.

Rebecca

Great search engine - so fast! That is one major improvement.

Rebecca,

?Thanks for the ideas, they truly are welcome! I will look into changing the heading fonts. It really is tough since each browser shows up very differently, and I have four or five I am repeatedly testing on. I am happy to hear your take on the AOL browser since I am allergic to them and don't have any way to test.

?There are different standards used in UBB.x for capable and not so capable browsers, the trick will be getting a balance that looks well enough to not be annoying in any of them.

?Look for some serious work getting done for an actual sales site in the next weeks. I do NOT expect to have it up soon, new pages for everything as well as vendor choices and linking. We need an ability to show stock, shipping costs and options instantly instead of just having customers *hope* that we have what you want and can ship for less than the price of the part

?Big plans and a long way to go, but a concerted effort IS underway now, which couldn't be said two weeks ago.

?Thanks so much for taking an interest and inputing your ideas, we need both!

Rick

Hi, Rebecca, and welcome (back!) to the new (old) site!

The change in the engine running the forums is huge. The old site was running on a very old version of the UBB software, all coded in perl. The new site is using their most recent product called UBB.x, the "x" because it's all coded in XML (I think).

There are two full-blown interfaces to the UBB.x forums: Version 3 is full featured with the pull-downs and such and Version 2 is a stripped down (though, one hopes, fully functional) version. The UBB server code checks whether your browser level is current enough to handle the Version 3 site and, if it's not on their specific list, feeds out the Version 2 interface instead.

It just figures that as I try to put this bit together, I can't find the particular configuration page that tells me the list of those browsers recognized for Version 3.

We'll see if we can make adjustments in the font sizes for the Version 2 side. By the way, on a very old (4.76) Netscape on Solaris, as I think I mentioned elsewhere, my experience is the opposite of what you see via AOL: the fonts are so HUGE I can't construct a window big enough to read the fora!

Thanks for the kind words and the write-up of what you're seeing in which browsers. We have tons of work done and yet to do, some of it ours directly and some of it (we think) via the UBB vendor's support staff.

Regards,
    Jazzbo

Why is my browser asking me to enter password, or allow access to keychain, even when I am not posting etc?

Mozilla wants the master password when I click on a forum, or on a thread, to view.

Camino and maybe Safari want me to allow access to keychain (never once always). Why? Everything works fine, I can post etc, even without ever entering the master password in Mozilla, so either there is a security issue or problem and I should not be able to, or something.

Some sites seem to want to read more than I want them to. Are they "snooping" or something? Not that you are, but why is UBB doing this?

- G.

Gregory, when you bookmarked the site, did you bookmark just through "6/ubb.x" or including the "?a=..." strings?

Following the "?" in the URL you'll see a whole mess o' variable=value assignments including, I think, s=value for session, f=value to select forum and so on. I'm not positive about this stuff yet.

If I'm right, the session identifier led to you needing to open the keychain, maybe especially if you said "remember my login value" on the registration page.

Test my theory? Log out of the forums, edit your bookmarks to reset the one for the MacGurus forums to http://macgurus.com/6/ubb.x , and then select your way back in here via the URL without any key=value pairs.

I think I can come up with other ideas if that's not it.

Jazzbo