Thread: Trouble with searches still

I just tried a search "twice to be sure"

Searched "all forums" since "5 days ago" with exact match to user ID "rwm2" - nothing?

looking for the exact name of the Seagate drive that fits the vintage macs.

Randy

You want to use a narrow drive on the native SCSI bus? the 18GB Barracuda?
    Start here or just hit the Seagate web site. They still make a 36GB 7200 rpm narrow drive I believe.

Or is this just to see if the forums are working? they were down Friday AM for a short while - some housekeeping maintenance?

Gregory

I just tried a search for "Gregory" ....."last 5 days" in "all forums" - nothing. Is it my end or search problems?

Tried twice - to double check

Thanks
    Randy

It's not you... it's me. Don't you hate hearing that?

Searches are still broken.

No problem - I only have trouble when using the "user ID" to search.

Otherwise things seem fine. I just remember "names" better and when looking for info...

Randy

Sorry folks needed to test my forgotten HTML - it ain't working - I guess I do not remember the syntax like I thought Idid - been several years.

OK, Why can't I make a link like Gregory's below, so URL's are not all over the page?

Other than it's been along day....

[This message has been edited by rwm2 (edited 09 September 2002).]

[This message has been edited by rwm2 (edited 09 September 2002).]

A neat way to see how someone else embedded links & such is to try to edit their post. It will show you the entire structure, and you can figure it out from there.....or here. But HTML is not enabled. Only UBB. Similar, but not the same.

It's been a helluva Monday, Randy. Don't worry about it.

Thanks Dogstar - Never ever messed with BBS except here at Guru's. Fifteen years at a college and never. No wonder HTML aint going to work. I edit my posts all the time - I just assumed other posts were password protected - except for moderaters and such...- shit they are?? BUT YOU CAN LOOK DUHHHH

YA IT'S BEEN A DAMN LONG DAY

GURU's

Randy

[This message has been edited by rwm2 (edited 10 September 2002).]

wait a minute. Are you saying you can edit and save someone else's post, or just edit it and look at the UBB?

You can click on the edit icon....then view the post (UBB code intact)....but you cannot actually edit it and submit it. You don't need to be the original poster to look at the post. That's all. Didn't mean to scare you there. All of us regular members can get anyone else's post to the edit screen. It's been that way for years. But we can't actually do any harm. Except maybe post bad advice...or worrisome advice.

No ripper - it's fine

Works like Dogstar said. That was my first thought too - WHAT THE HELL. I even tried to, just checking... tried correcting one of ricks spelling errors but could not.

I would have e-mailed you direct ASAP if I could have changed anothers post.

Your doing just fine. Thanks for these pages.

I was too tired yesterday, went brain dead and showed my ignorance....

Randy

No, you have no idea. I am solely responsible for installing, configuring, optimizing, reorganizing, hacking, and rebuilding these forums and the Perl scripts that create them.

I am continually discovering more about how the scripts that run the boards work (or don't work), and it would be just my luck to have corrupted something in the user validation section of the code accidentally.

Here's a concise history of the MacGurus Upgrades Forums:

When we originally installed UBB on Magpage in Spring of 2000, everything was fine. I created the graphics, uploaded them, sat back, and watched the posts grow.

Then, along the way, we pushed the capabilities of the software, running into barriers of only 4 moderators per forum. So, we assigned some highly trusted moderators Administrator/Guru Forum Ruler priviledges; that enabled them to edit posts and close threads in any forum.

We realized that with so many moderators, and so much variety of experience, that we needed a way to quickly alert each other to relevant posts. So, I created the Batsignal, a Perl routine that, once added to the existing postings.cgi script, scans for certain syntax and sends moderators email with a handy clickable link to the thread in question.

Then, we decided to quit archiving old threads b/c of the way the search function works. It takes forever to search both a forum and its associated archive, b/c you have to search all Forums and all Archives to do it.

Then, we decided to consolidate the Step-by-Step forums and move the entire thing to another server in the same week. Somebody who shall remain nameless (not a Guru) forgot to turn the boards off prior to the swap, and tons of stuff got florfed, as Louie would say. So I fixed most of that.

Then, we swapped servers again. This time, I did it all, and it only took three days. Somehow, the search function is still broken, though. I'm not sure it worked before this swap (it may have been damaged in the previous one). So, I'm working on it and I will post an announcement when I am ready for you all to try and break it.

Over and out...

------------------
    mactheripper...
    rippin' code and staying young since 1996.

ripper

No, I do not fully understand and glad it's not my job. But after working at a small four year college for 15 years as part of the Administration which had to deal with computer networking and security issues... I think I can imagine some of your headaches.

I can really appreciate what you are doing and do not envy your job. It's a tough job. From a "semi informed" users point of view - you are a dude and do GREAT work.

Thanks again, for everything - go have a brew, when ya get the chance. It would be on me if we were closer.

Randy

[This message has been edited by rwm2 (edited 11 September 2002).]

I didn't mean to come off like I actually don't think you understand. I was just exasperating freely since you seem a kindred spirit.

I am sure you know far more than you think after working so long at a dealing-with-tech job. Most of my headaches are with reams of Perl code and these (barely, but enough to cause said Perl scripts to choke) corrupted text files.

ripper

I am a kind hearted fella - no problems here. Guru's and members have taught me so much. I don't know "how" to do your work. And would hate to have your headaches.

I wrote that post over and over and over - just trying to make a special thank you. I am just too damn long winded. And we both have been wasting a lot of time with this post - but I enjoyed the visit.

And I know nothing about "Perl code" I've heard the term.

Keep it up, thanks
    Randy

[This message has been edited by rwm2 (edited 13 September 2002).]

I have never used Apple Script or Perl but Apple posted some info on the subject!

From www.MacCentral.com
    quote:
    Apple article shows how to use AppleScript and Perl
    by Peter Cohen, pcohen@maccentral.com
    September 13, 2002 9:35 am ET

Developer documentation on Apple's Web site tracks working with Mac OS X's Web services, AppleScript and Perl via SOAP, or Simple Object Access Protocol, a platform-independent communications standard used between different applications.

With newly added SOAP services in AppleScript, it's now possible to use Mac OS X to pass structured data between AppleScript and Perl more efficiently than ever. The documentation on Apple's Web site tracks just how to do it -- from creating simple applications to handling more complex exchanges of data.

By the end of the document, you will have been given the rough framework to create a SOAP server and a SOAP client based in AppleScript, with information passing around back and forth and being reformatted into easily digestible form. There's a ton of great stuff in there for Perl and AppleScript mavens looking to get the most out of their systems.

Apple concludes with a,

" And there you have it.

Now that you know how easy it is to create a SOAP web service with Perl, you can provide services for your local AppleScripts and access much more than AppleScript can do on its own."

Right.

Gregory

Gregory

Thanks for the info....... I have so darn much info stored/saved that you and others here have given or pointed me to - I don't think I'll ever get to it. But I enjoy knowing where to find it if needed.

I would be happy just to understad OS X like you do.

Well off to write perl scripts....... ha ha jokes

Thanks for your time and valuable input on the forums - people appreciate it.

Randy

It works. All searches should work.!!!!!!!!!!!

Please test the snot out of this to ensure my confidence is justified.

Thanks for your patience.

Tomorrow I will. Heading to bed.

ripper - your "behind the scenes" hard work goes on without enough thanks!!!

Without your skills, knowledge and HARD work - there would be no forums no Guru's. That would be sad.

We all take it for granted. Thanks, my friend
    Randy

ripper: you da man!

Raises bottle of Sam Adams October Fest

Here's to ya, bro!