Thread: WHats going on ?

Mac Gurus in disarray ? NOOOOOOOOOO !

What has happened ?

Mad Dog

I wonder. Perhaps the upgrade market is shrinking because of Apple mothership decisions, and the new way they obsolete their computers and, in my opinion, have dropped support for older machines.

Hope the Gurus make it back

Ha,

?Disarray?? NOOO, the big cheesola hisself, Magician, has un-hiatus'd himself back into the land of the literate.(even fishing can get old I guess) He took one look at the pages of Guru land and decided that they needed a major facelift, reorg and thinking out of tomorrow's purpose.

?Count on some new found fire at MacGurus.

Rick

To tell you guys the truth, I haven't needed much of the stellar help and advice available here since I ditched 9 and got some modern hardware.

I've finally moved almost entirely into New World machines (still using a 7600 as a household gateway), and I just don't have problems anymore (save one Sherlock bug).

If I don't get lured here to get help, I'm also not likely to notice the threads where I can help out.

Looking forward to the new site...

It has been long overdo. Inquiring minds want to know how the Gurus stand with all the new hardware from Apple and OS X etc... The old pages rarely talked about that. I hope the new ones do.

I hope this means that it will be easier to find a part, and put the editorial content separate, so you can find SDRAM (or DDR-DRAM), and then link to background, technical considerations.

I've been hoping for the last year for a face-lift.
    That front page is a shocker!

As much as I have enjoyed the old Gurus site, I do hope that the new site becomes THE place to go for 10.2 (and beyond) hardware and goodies, like it is/was for 9 and back.

Any ETA for those of us ready to place orders?

[This message has been edited by newbie (edited 07 August 2002).]

well!

quote:
    I hope this means that it will be easier to find a part, and put the editorial content separate, so you can find SDRAM (or DDR-DRAM), and then link to background, technical considerations.

I've been hoping for the last year for a face-lift.
    That front page is a shocker!

you took the words RIGHT out of my mouth.

sorry, really sorry, about the cessation of orders. I had to make the call. We could have done business in parallel, but it just wasn't the right move from the standpoint of cost. We need to overhaul the whole enchilada, boys and girls. And by that, I mean the backend, the order system, the site interface--everything. Even the phone system.

I don't want to forecast a return date, just yet, as it would be mere speculation. We have to start hitting organizational targets, and once that happens, I'll get a feel for how things are progressing. We will open up portions of the new site one by one, however, with a completely revamped RAID subsite debuting first. I think that portion of the site will be up and running in beta within a week.

Lots of new content to write....and we have to port most of the old technical info to a database, so the large installed user base of the OS9 faithful can mine it as needed.

But the future, obviously, has to be OSX, and pretty soon, I am hoping, OSX on Intel hardware. That's why we'll be focusing first on storage. It's the one thing that everyone needs, regardless of platform, and you can never, ever, have too much. Just look at the size of our iTunes MP3 libraries! You have to put that stuff somewhere, and then, you have to back it all up.

Anyway, I appreciate your kind words, and most of all, your loyalty and patience. The allegiance of our customers is our greatest asset, and we are looking hard at ways to make our services better.

By all means, if anyone has recommendations or "wish lists" they would like to post, I will read them, and certainly consider them carefully.

In fact, I'll start a new thread right now....there. Jump in, and tell us what you want!

For what its worth, I really like the "faux-soviet" web theme. Its funny and ironic.

As for what to sell, I would like to see the drives section streamlined a bit to make it easier to find hard drives right from the front page.

Is the market for accelerators still good ? I would like to see those still for sale here.

I cant see how you can make money off of RAM when competeing with really big houses.

Stream-of-consciousness....

Mad Dog

got that right: there is no margin in memory, period.

accelerators....well, i keep waiting for the market segment to die, but i think apple and everyone else is surprised at how slow the adoption rate has been for osx. Lots of folks still running os9....and liable to be many for a couple more years.

hard drives: we're all over it.

thanks for the comments!

(i don't think the faux-soviet look will ever completely fade....we really, really like it that so many folks actually got the joke!)

quote:
    Lots of folks still running os9....and liable to be many for a couple more years.

I resemble that remark! My problem with moving to X is twofold:

1. Lack of funds for new hardware. Yeah, I could install X on my 8500 but why? It seems slow on a G4 at twice the clock speed. Sure looks nice though.

2. Lack of audio apps and hardware for X. Since this is my main use for the Mac it looks like even if I could afford a new one I'd still be working mostly in 9 anyway for at least another year. I know new versions are coming but I don't like to get the first version of anything.

[This message has been edited by M.Brane (edited 07 August 2002).]

Why my company is so slow to adopt OS X:

I work at a large Web Press printing company with 12 Macs. Some are older Beige G3's and some are 500 MHZ G4's and everything in Between. We spend almost all of our time in Quark. Use a bit of Photoshop and Illustrator to tweak client supplied graphics. Until Quark runs well in Mac OS X, we are stuck with what we have because it works reasonably well, 24/7. If it works we keep it going because we have an incredible volume of business to get out each day.

I still wish my boss would pop for some upgrades and RAM, but he is so clueless. Oh well, smoke breaks for those on the slower machines while they wait for thier output of huge files.