Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prismo PowerBook Processor Upgrade

I'm trying to determine what is the best processor upgrade for my Prismo. It seems the G3 900mhz is quite fast and popular, but the G4 550mhz will allow for more compatibility in the long run. And what's the difference between the companies that have you send in your entire computer as opposed to just the processor itself?

MacGurus sells just such an upgrade for your Pismo here http://www.macgurus.com/productpages...peed-PISMO.php

Several options and both G4-500 and G4-550. k

I've seen the ads / claims. I'm looking for an answer to my two questions.

My two cents, and I have a 'pismo' and am considering such a move as well. As for sending in to get the upgrade installed - that would be the method I prefer. Not that I haven't done a few installs inside my powerbooks - hard drive and RAM swaps - but if 'they' install it then they are responsible. There are lots of ways that static and fumbling can mess things up. As to which upgrade is right for you, you have to consider what you are using the powerbook for. Faster clock speed on non-altivec enhanced applications is worth more in my opinion. However, even OSX is said to benefit from a G4 processor, so every finder action would be faster. The pismo powerbook will not be able to enjoy quartz extreme and will probably get left behind with the release of 10.4 in another year or so (pure speculation).
    *The bottom line is that your decision is subjective - there is no 'best' and since it is your money, you get to choose.

Bif, Thanks for your thoughts. If I get the G4, wouldn't that help me stay in the OS upgrade stream longer than if I have just a G3?

¨?¨?As a purely subjective opinion I have tried both the 900 G3 and the 500 G4 in my B&W. In the types of use we have the B&W operating on I couldn't tell the difference. It serves as a backup server and print server. I also let a little one do games on it. I couldn't tell a lick of difference between the two processors and I was looking for a subjective difference. G4's use memory better. For sheer speed a 900 G3 is hard to beat, but will not run Altivec enhanced stuff as fast as the G4.

¨?All in all I would choose a 500 or 550 G4 for al around OSX purposes over the G3.

Rick.

¨?Oh, the great part about having XLR8 do the upgrade is they clean, install and test the heck out of your PowerBook. That way you know the RAM meets spec, the processor passed tests and the Software is installed and configured properly to run the cache.

Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?

My Pismo is at Daystar as we Type !
    I ran a few benchmark before sending it off , I'll rerun them when I get It back later this week and post them here. I went with the 550 MHz G4 over the 900 MHz Powerlogic because the PL has had some problems.....
    And for what I do , the G4 will Scream past the faster G3.
    Check out the User Reviews here:
    XLR8yourMac

Larry

Folding for Team MacOSX 1971
    JOIN US

[This message was edited by Plutronics on Mon February 09, 2004 PT at 21:20.]

LArry,

¨?PLease report back how well it runs. What a way to end the week! A faster Pismo should make anyone's day.

Rick

Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?

The Daystar / XLR8 Upgrade is running like a top !
    A Few Benchmarks :
    AltiVec Fractal Carbon Demo = 247 to 1843 MFLOPS ( Millions of Floating Point Logic Operations per Second , I think )
    Xbench v1.1.3 = 34.9 to 58.37 ( Speed tests the Whole system , CPU , Video , Ram , HD etc. )
    I run Folding@Home on it 24/7 @ 100 % CPU usage and It is Folding 3 Times Faster ! ( Simulating the way Proteins fold in the Human Body for Medical Research )
    I had hardly ever heard the fan come on full with the G3 , with the G4 , about twice an Hour it kicks up for a few min. and back down again ( Like thats a problem , sitting among Six Power Macs )
    Extremely Happy with the Results !
    Larry

FOLDING for Team MacOSX 1971
    JOIN US

Hello all,

I'm curious if anyone has any additional information to report regarding their experiences with these upgrades.

Specifically, I'm wondering if anyone can comment on game-performance. My friend has a Pismo G3/400 upgraded with 384MB RAM and a 20GB IBM Travelstar HD. She's currently running 10.3.2.

We've been looking at the different processor upgrades available for the Pismo, including the G3/900 from PowerLogix and the G4/550 from Daystar.

There are a variety of factors that we're considering in boosting performance, but I just wanted to ask about one factor that I haven't been able to find any hard data on: 3D Game Performance.

Although it's only one small part of what she does with her Pismo, we do enjoy a good game of Jedi Knight II multiplayer once in a while ("Take that, Reelo!"). Currently, JKII MP is "playable" on the Pismo with all the settings at their lowest, though the experience is, of course, a bit lacking. And now, Jedi Academy is out with even steeper system requirements (and extra lightsabers - woo!).

I realize that no matter what, the non-upgradeable Rage 128 Mobility chip is a bottleneck, but we have no problem keeping the settings low for MP as long as the framerate is there. I would think that at 640x480 with low settings, JKII and JKIII would be more weighted toward the CPU, so I'm wondering if an affordable CPU upgrade would make decent Jedi Knight multiplayer action a possibility on her good ole' Pismo.

Does anyone have any 3D game experience on an upgraded Pismo ... or would anyone with an upgrade be willing to try out the JKII and JA demos that are available and report on their findings?

Thanks,
    -Tone

I would be happy to rum the demo's , do you have a likc for me ? I'll try and find it today , does it tell you FPS , or will we need to time something ?
    Larry
    JOIN US

Hi Larry,

Thank you very much for offering to help. I know there's a multiplayer "timedemo" file that reports on FPS for JKII, but I don't think that would work on the singleplayer demo version. Exact FPS is no big deal though. Just a subjective report on whether they're playable would be great!

The demos are available at macgamefiles.com:

JKII:
    -- http://www.macgamefiles.com/detail.php?item=17391

JA:
    -- http://www.macgamefiles.com/detail.php?item=18005

If you want, you could just try the Jedi Academy one. It requires heavier resources than JKII, so you can assume that if JA runs well, JKII will too. I think there's 2 levels in the JA demo. One of them was very heavy on resources (it was some kind of underground jedi temple). That one didn't even run well on my Dual G4/450 Tower w/ a 32MB Radeon! So that's the real test.

I have a feeling the G3/900 upgrade would have a better shot at this, but you never know. Maybe the G4/550 can hande it with video settings turned down.

Thanks so much!

-Tone

I ran the JA Demo and it seemed pretty smooth , Probably over 20 FPS , no jitters or anything. Sorry , I'm not much for first person shooters....
    Per My previous post , the Xbench score went from 34.9 to 58.37 with nothing but the Upgrade changed , the Quartz Graphics Test went 44.49 to 57.92 or 30% increase and the OpenGL Graphics Test went 53.60 to 85.46 or 59% increase.
    U R Welcome
    Larry
    JOIN US

Dear Tone,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I realize that no matter what, the non-upgradeable Rage 128 Mobility chip is a bottleneck, but <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ehm, .... last month on an Apple dedicated magazine I read over here (in Italy) there was a test bench about a third party external (via the PMCIA slot) graphic card which you could connect to the Pismo, carrying 32MB of VRAM and capable to "pilot" an external VGA screen.

I haven't the magazine with me at the moment, but as soon as I'll find out about this card, I'll post back with the details. Interested?
    Costa

Ab ovo usque ad mala

Thanks again for trying it out. I really appreciate it. I'm not much for first person shooters either... ...but I'm all about *defending the galaxy!* ;-)

It sounds like it ran quite well. Out of curiousity, did you try that temple level I mentioned?

-Tone

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Plutronics:
    I ran the JA Demo and it seemed pretty smooth , Probably over 20 FPS , no jitters or anything. Sorry , I'm not much for first person shooters....
    Per My previous post , the Xbench score went from 34.9 to 58.37 with nothing but the Upgrade changed , the Quartz Graphics Test went 44.49 to 57.92 or 30% increase and the OpenGL Graphics Test went 53.60 to 85.46 or 59% increase.
    U R Welcome
    Larry <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the reply.

Sure - I'd be happy to hear more about it.

-Tone

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Costa:
    Dear Tone,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I realize that no matter what, the non-upgradeable Rage 128 Mobility chip is a bottleneck, but <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ehm, .... last month on an Apple dedicated magazine I read over here (in Italy) there was a test bench about a third party external (via the PMCIA slot) graphic card which you could connect to the Pismo, carrying 32MB of VRAM and capable to "pilot" an external VGA screen.

I haven't the magazine with me at the moment, but as soon as I'll find out about this card, I'll post back with the details. Interested? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tone,

¨?I may have a customer who today mentioned having an add on ATI Road Rocket PCI Card. He wanted to sell it, I'll point him here in case you are interested.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

O.k. Tone,

I have managed to retrive that magazine (it is a January publication).

The product in question is the Village Tronic's VTBook PcCard, which is 100% Mac compatable.
    Village Tronic is a German based company devoted in the manufacturing of hardware gear easily accessable by everybody. The VTBook card is sold here in Europe at ?«®uro 277.00 + Value Added Tax @ 20%; If you can find such product in the U.S.A., it will obviously be sold without applying V.A.T. (which is a typical European tax), but probably with an average exchange rate of U.S.$ 1.30 to the ?«®uro: i.e. you should be able to find it at around US$ 360 ?‚ŗ give or take a few dollars.

For that price you get:
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>A real portable graphic card, which will enable you to connect to it
    <LI>Both digital monitors (through the DVI direct connector) and analogic monitors (through the DVI-to-VGA adaptor included in the box).
    <LI>Thanks to its 32MB of video memory, it can easely support resolutions up to 1,900 x 1,440 dpi on a 23" Apple LCD Cinema Display.
    <LI>Obviously, Apple's LCD monitors aren't the only monitors you can connect to it: the article I am reading from the magazine (*) talks about tests carried out also on a LaCie ElectronBlue 19" monitor (at 1,600 x 1,200 dpi resolution) and on a Samsung SyncMaster 957MB Flat CDT with a 4:3 ratio (at 1,920 x 1,440 dpi resolution).
    <LI>PowerBooks compatible with this card, include:
    G3 WallStreet
    G3 Lombard
    G3 Pismo
    G4 Titanium 15"
    G4 Aluminium 15" & 17"
    <LI>Inside the box you will also find a CD with the appropriate drivers for both OS 9.x and OS X (which can also be dowloaded from Village Tronic's Support Web pages), plus the usual multi-lingual installation instructions.
    <LI>The only drawback is that, while you can hot-swap the card under OS 9.x, you will need to power off the PB under OS X before inserting the card into the PcCard slot.
    <LI>As soon as the VTBook card is connected, the Monitor's preferences control pannel will allow you to choose the monitors' dispositions and which of the two (i.e.: the external monitor or the PB's one) will be your primary one.[/list]
    The magazine in question (*) is the Italian Applicando and it has given the card 4.5 "mice" out of 5.

While I am sure this is not the only product out there of its kind, this is the first I've come accross with a full test about it. Over here in Europe, it seems a pretty popular product.

Hope that helps.

Costa

P.S.: The magazine's article/test was written by Mr Ricardo Contreras which can be reached at: applicando@jce.it
    Costa

Ab ovo usque ad mala

I aam using the Village Tronic VT Book PCI card on a PowerBook G3 300series Wallstreet which has been upgraded with a Sonnet Tech G4 500 CPU and I am running OS 9.2.2 and OS X 10.2.8. Seems that this CPU upgrade will not run OS X 10.3 (Panther).

I have an IX3D Road Rocket which is compatible with PowerBook G3s running OS 9.2.2. It is not compatible with the G4 upgrade. This is a very good, but old, graphics accelerator. I would like to hear from someone still running the G3 who might like to have this to support a second monitor.

Hey Tone
    Yes , it was the Temple , today I'll Defend the Solar system for a bit more and repost later today / this evening. I looked for a benchmark for it , but to no avail.
    You and I are doing our jobs ....
    Has anyone seen any Aliens ? Nuff Said !
    Larry
    JOIN US