Thread: Emac Ram Difference?

Hello, I've had some issues with my Emac, and ram, I'm using pc-133 ram but its not seeing it, i have used 3 different Sticks and so far, neither have worked, one is kingston but it's pc-100

i know all these chips work i have used them in a 450 G4, and Pc's so, any thoughts on whats going on?

Just because they work in the older G4 does not mean they will work in the emac. If it is a newer emac (that requires 133), then the sticks will only work if they are 133. The G4 450 only requires 100, but 133 *should* work in it.

You might check at everymac.com to get the exact specs of your emac; they change slightly depending on the vintage. I'm sure there is some RAM out there that is PC133 but is still not compatible, so what it came out of and quality do matter.

When it is all said and done, if they don't work, they don't work. Consider getting some quality RAM from the MacGurus or crucial.com
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

WEll everymac tells me i need

8ns PC100 SDRAM but apple puts in pc133? this is gettin really confusing, allright i'm gonig to go pick up some ram at a local store, I hope it works....

In stead of "hoping it works" print out what Crucial recommends for your eMac model.

If your model takes PC100, it definitely needs 8 ns / 125 MHz. Trouble is that some PC100 is NOT 125 MHz and may be only 10 ns.

Some (Crucial/Micron) PC133 works fine in 100 mhz bus systems.the spec could read "8 ns or faster' but it also has to be the correct type and density of chips. Same rules as apply to the B&W G3.

PC100 is no longer made much, price has gone back up, and so has PC133. Most RAM now is PC2700 or faster, ie, DDR-DRAM rather than SDRAM.

You might understand better if you read through the Memory Reference/FAQ and some of the links, or check out Crucial Library for more. Might avoid wasing time and money on wrong RAM.

RAM may still not be 'right' but your Mac could still boot. Might seem to work in OS 9 but not in 10.3.

MacIntouch has a helpful, exhaustive "BAD RAM" report also worth reading.
    http://www.macintouch.com

Much of the PC133 RAM made by Crucial and quality vendors (most of the RAM is from resellers, Crucial is just the retail outlet for Micron which does make memory chips and is a USA based company - and where I buy all my RAM).

You wouldn't go wrong with the RAM MacGurus sells, either. You can get burned by some places like OWC www.macsales.cm

www.ramseeker.com is a price search database that is reliable.

With computers, somewhat unfortunately, you do need to become an educated buyer, consumer to get the most out of any hardware or software or upgrades. It is NOT just "plug and play" though.

I see what i need now, pc-133 CL3

thanks,