Thread: Sonnett in B&W G4=No Success

Even though I cancelled my G4 1000 upgrade, it ended up shipped. Gave it a spun and got no boot. It seems that the new upgrades are designed for B&W's that are stock G3's, no firmware upgraded G4's. Sonnet tech support acknowledges an incompatibility between existing 1.1f4 firmware. My B&W firmware was upgraded with the XLR8 firmware long ago and this has created the upgrade issues. Does anyone know how to reverse the XLR8 firmware? Could not do with the XLR8 software and Sonnet software can not remove (however they are working on this. ETA=?) If I can reverse the firmware I may be able to get this upgrade to work if not, 30 days to return.

That doesn't make much of any sense. I'm always surprised to find that there are people who have left their B&Ws 'stock' this long. But Sonnet just 'sounds' like there are too many "if's" with this thing.

Seems like that is another item that should be clearly marked, not just in FAQ, but in a footnote - NOT FOR B&Ws THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN UPGRADED TO G4!

It should be a nice upgrade for BEIGE G3s. Would be nicer if they fully supported 10.3.2+, and the software to do so (XPF will be $25 once its done being alpha/beta). And lower the price - maybe it cost too much to produce and engineer.

Seems like a good solid PowerLogix card makes all the more sense, or those G4/450-533s for $149 from OWC. I'd like one just to OC's and run on Biege's 83MHz bus.

Agree completely with you TZ!

I questioned tech support with the upgrade for stock only. S/b interesting if anything is noted on their web site. In the meantime...ran Newer's G4 enabler and was not able to restore.

Well, finally had some progress. Downloaded a fresh copy of the Powerlogix firmware updater and was able to reverse firmware and install G4 ZIF. So far boot into 9.2.2 seems slower (possible due to the 66 bus reset) will be running Xbench in X and testing in Photoshop. Agravating process due to the firmware issues which Sonnett acknowledges at MacCentral.

I've now added MacCentral and MacWorld as places to I need to check from time to time (as if there weren't enough forums and threads already!).

I never considered ever removing the 'G4 unblocker' and still using the G4/500 XLR8 Zif - gee, maybe that's why I have trouble with Norton SpeedDisk and stuff, huh?

If I can hold off buying any 'upgrades' for two months, my next upgrade will, hopefully, be a G5-2.0SP (whatever the low-end is come April). It was fun for 2-3 weeks to have a G4 1.0 in my Beige, and if it would work with bus of 83MHz, would be even better.