Thread: When is it too late to spend $ on a trusty 8600/300?

I am planning on migrating my XLR8 466Mhz ZIF card (currently on a carrier) into a B&W G3. That being said, I'd still like to use the old 8600 with the 300Mhz 604ev cpu as it was and still is a great machine.

In looking for more upgrade power without spending a lot of cash, I fould a 604ev @ 350Mhz cheap online for about $50.

Ok, the question, would it be worth $50 to get, even to just try overclocking it to 400Mhz as some have done? I'm mainly curious to hear if people feel I would get a descent boost in speed (OS 9) moving only 50Mhz up.

Thanks!
    -Kirk

?I would say that spending anything on a 604 is a waste of money. If you are going to spend anything do so with a G3 or G4 zif. You can still get great deals on them from Daystar who are continuing the XLR8 line.

?That 8600 isn't too bad a machine if used for what is fast enough for. I have my 3 year old playing tons of games that are local library will check out for OS9 running computers. They work great as well as all those awesome OS9 games for adults (Doom anyone?)

?Put a decent graphics card in and you're set to go.

Rick

Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?

Thanks for the sanity check. I am only going to use the 8600 as a cd burning, tv watching machine so I figured I'd just take it back to its old 604ev @ 300Mhz. Might even go old school and put OS 8 on it with an older version of Toast. It always screamed with OS 8 back in the day.

Keeping my money for a better video card for my B&W!! Or rather for my wife B&W so I can get my original Radeon (not the 7000) back from her B&W..LOL

That Yosemite is where you can drop a boatload of cash - easily!

Video, SCSI, SATA, G4/1000. Or just one of the newer, fastest ATA drives on the planet from Hitachi (7K250 beat out the WD's). (To get the best out of SATA, you need to use the 66 Mhz slot or a late model G4 like MDD.)

Figure it already has a full complement of memory. I posted a link to Radeon Mac (orig) for $159 (Apple OEM PCIs that were used in BTO G4s) instead of the $119 R7K, if you want one.

Yes, I just bought a new G5 but I am hanging on to my 8600 too. Over the years I upgraded the processor to a G4 400 from XLR8, added a Radeon 7000 PCI, an ATA 60 GB drive and most recently a Sonnet Trio card. I had to add an Ethernet controller due to the after effects of the Big Blackout last summer so I had to replace the OrangeMicro FW/USB. I had also bought RAM sticks at different prie points as they decreased in price but increased in capacity. I love the RCA sound ports and the Zip and floppy ports. I have SCSI devices hooked to it too that I won't have to replace in the immediate future. My Epson Expression scanner and APS cd burner/4GB HD can still be used now through the 8600.

My last upgrade was a Motorola Cable modem gateway that includes a router and print server so my desktop network is now complete.

I bought a long S-Video cord to hook the 8600 to my flat panel tv so I can get rid of the 1710AV monitor that is taking up lots of deskspace. I bought an extra ADC converter along with the G5 so I can hook up the 8600 to the HD cinema display via the Radeon's DVI port (& the Trio's USB) but so far I haven't had to do that. It would be cheaper to buy a KVM or even Timbuktu to have access to the 8600's desktop via the G5.