Thread: Sonnet G4/1GHz ZIF for Beige G3 in XLR8 Carrier?

I was just wondering, since the Beige G3's use the same ZIF style processors as the XLR8 Carriers, would it be possible to use Sonnet's new 1 GHz G4 ZIF for Beige G3's (http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_It...m=STIEG410001M) in an XLR8 Carrier card? Any ideas if it would work and how fast it would run?

Sonnet has a $400 G4/800 for older systems and I expect that there is a limit in there, meaning it would be cheaper and easier - though maybe not w/o problems - to just get the Sonnet card designed for those systems.

They are saying that the rev 1 B&W presents a problem but expect to be able to support the rev 2, though how to and why, some people know which they are, and a few Yos systems aren't exactly rev 1 or rev 2.

I expect to see more from IBM in G3's with Altivec enhancement in the coming months that should be more promising... if you can wait, that is.

Also, check www.MacFixit.com as cpu upgrades - whether Beige or AGP G4's using Sonnet cpu upgrades, are having trouble with 10.3DP (to be expected).

I was contemplating dusting off my 7300 to use for testing, but I might skip investing what would end up being $150+ just for odds and ends. Interesting, but takes money away from G4/1.2 I want for my B&W!

I purchased the Sonnet G4/800 but I was never able to get the card working in my 8500 (a second RMA'd upgrade also refused to work). In the end the Sonnet techs and I were stumped and after cursing the upgrade voodoo gods, I got my purchase refunded. At the moment, I'm running my 8500 with an XLR8 Carrier with a 450 MHz G4 ZIF (the fastest it'll go without having to go to Sonnet's G4/700-800 lineup (which doesn't work with my computer). That's why I was interested in perhaps using this new G4/1GHz ZIF processor in my Carrier card.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>BM PowerPC 750GX - IBM's 1.1-GHz PowerPC microprocessor
    By Mark Schaffer, Advanced Technology Engineer, IBM Corporation

With the increasing demand for high-performance embedded solutions, the challenge of managing power dissipation is becoming a key concern with many embedded applications. IBM is taking a leadership position by offering world-class performance at very low power levels utilizing its leading-edge process technologies to meet these requirements. The IBM¨∆ PowerPC¨∆ 750GX microprocessor, the fastest and newest addition to the IBM 7xx PowerPC microprocessor family, meets these requirements. Sampling for this new processor is planned for July 2003 with production targeted for December 2003.

Manufactured in IBM?ńŰs advanced 0.13-micron copper process with Silicon-on-Insulator technology, the 750GX will be offered at frequencies up to 1.1 GHz. The 750GX expands the capabilities of the IBM PowerPC 7xx processor family to support more performance-demanding and power-sensitive applications. The new processor is ideally suited for a variety of systems, including networking, communications, storage, imaging, computing and consumer applications.

The 750GX is architecturally based on the PowerPC 750FX processor, and implements several enhancements that address the performance requirements of embedded applications (see Figure 1). The 750GX includes 1 MB of internal L2 cache, 4-way set-associative, running at core frequency with cache locking by way, additional L1 and L2 cache buffers allowing pipelining of up to four data cache miss operations, and the capability for up to 200-MHz operation of the 60x system bus interface with additional bus pipelining.

PowerPC News <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>