Thread: Upgrade recommendations?

I just inherited a Yikes G4-350. It doesn't have a video card so I'm not even sure it runs (I don't have a Mac PCI video card handy).

I am considering upgrading the CPU in this. Would the Powerlogix G4-550 ZIF processor upgrade be the way to go or the Sonnet G4-500? It would seem that the Powerlogix G4-550 would be the way to go since it's faster AND cheaper. But I don't know if I should spend $300 to upgrade this to "only" a G4-550.

There are some XLR8 ZIF upgrades floating around on eBay still and OWC still has some for sale, but I'm a bit leery of those (I REALLY like warrantees).

Does this box sound like it's worth recycling? I could use another server machine for Photoshop image files and MP3s.

Well, first off, as a Server, I don't think you need to upgrade the CPU, but if you do, I'd go for the 550 for sure, not only faster, but better Memory throughput, and better FPU performance. For a Server, probably a fast 8 MB Cached HD would be the most help.

As far as XLR8 ZIFs, I have 8, and I still consider them the best 7400 ZIFs available... with or without a "Warranty"!

Looks like you'll have to find a Video Card first though...

Hi... I upgraded a Yikes 350 to a G4/500 with a ZIF from XLR8 a while ago - works GREAT.. no problems at all. We use it as a coding workstation running OS X 10.2.3 w/ the stock video and an add-on ATI Radeon board. Even stuffed a GB of RAM in it and two drivers.

It's quite a nice usable machine - it would be nicer to have an AGP graphics for performance reasons but otherwise, it works fine.

I'm running OS X Server 10.1.5 on a G4/533 DA machine and it's a solid as a rock right now - even have FMPro and Retrospect running on the machine.

Chris

Daystar is selling G4/500 XLR8 zifs for $220.

And Daystar's XLR8 products DO come with warranty.

Jim

Thanks for the words of advice. I think I'll find a video card for it and be sure it works reliably first. Anyone got any tips on where I can find a Mac Rage 128 PCI for cheap (or maybe even a Radeon)?

Then I'll try it as a server "as is". If it seems too slow I can always pop for a CPU upgrade or more memory.

Cheers, all!
    Bruce

you might even see G3/800's from Sonnet or PL this week if initial press releases are any indication. I'm hoping but holding my breath for a G4/800 zif.