Thread: xlr8g4mpe tropubleshooting

I've a 7500 os 9.1 with a xlr8 g4 mpe and a voodoo3...since the install my system became strange...it's impossible to play for a long time or you freeze or get an error message 2 or 10...and at this time the hd have to be repaired by norton tools or tech tool.. or you get a disk with ? at boot ...the heat of the cpu is always 128?C ??? even at the beginning of the session I've tried the card in another 7500 is the same...S.OS ...

Did this just start happening? properly seated? cuda reset for 30 seconds? battery okay? sounds like it would be worth replacing anyway if you haven't.

Run any RAM tests? added or removed anything?
    The 7500 is unique and there was/is a firmware patch I believe for a few early models.

Repairing a drive with Norton is my idea of "oxymoron" as Norton can cause Major errors often as not. but if you run Disk Warrior first seems safe. I don't have any experience with TechTool Pro 3 but make sure you are using the latest versions of anything.

The "?" at startup means a valid system folder isn't found, that the boot blocks might be damaged, and good reason to rebuild the directory. Disk Warrior creates a new directory, Norton and TTPro try the repair route. Might want to try backing up, initializing and install or restore a known good system. Also, running ResEdit to verify the system file - it could very well need minor repair (to a copy) to get things back to normal also. Hopefully the MPe isn't the cause of all of this but that could well be the culprit.

Sure sounds like something really wrong with the hardware happening.

thanks for answer...the beginning of the trouble start the day of the install.my ram is ok, I've never run diskwarrior but I'm going to try ...In fact everything goes well since two weeks ( if you don't play!) and suddenly the crash...impossible to boot and to repair.for the moment I give the card to a friend who have a 7600 and he test it...I've erase my DD and try a new system in a few day....why did you speak about the battery ? thanks again and sorry for my basic english

Have to agree with Gregory on Norton... try DisWarrior for sure.

Also agree it sounds like HW, possibly some "old" RAM.

Soon Xmas holidays, I'm going to try all your sugggestions..thanks a lot
    Stay tune...