Thread: G4 Upgrade: System Clock Dead!!

Hi All-

Well I've installed a MacCarrier G4 upgrade into my 8600/250. Installed a new system battery while in there and now the system clock does not keep time!! Other than this, things seem great.

System details:

8600/250, OS 9.1
    XLR8 MachCarrier G4 450/225
    processor running between 44 and 52 C

What did I do wrong and how can I fix this??

Thanks for any help,
    Allen

Battery backwards?

Only thing I can think of.

Rick

Well, I put it back on the bench... battery in correctly. Measures at 3.67v... Hmmm...

So I removed the MachCarrier hit the cuda switch and re-seated everything. Now the system time is retained and things look and feel pretty good. Don't know how to explain why it did what it did with the time clock. I also had some weird extension conflict-like problem on my very first boot with the upgrade. Things locked up on boot when it loaded the TechTool Protection extension but would boot when it was out of the heap. Now, after the remove/re-seat, I am able to turn that extension back on and everything boots fine. Cybervoodoo. I am going to put it through some paces tonight and will report any findings. Thanks to Rick on this forum and XLR8 support for their quick response.

Best,

Allen

Allen,

That's great. I can see where a CUDA reset might just do the trick. Doing a G4 upgrade is a pretty major system upgrade. Glad to hear you got it, bet it runs like a clock now.

Enjoy.

Rick

[This message has been edited by ricks (edited 21 May 2002).]

Ricks-

Thanks again for your help!

MacBench:

OS 9.1 base ext set
    XLR8 CP 2.6.1

Processor: 1384
    FPU: 1589

Moving Memory in GuagePro: 64 Mb/sec (672 Mb interleaved)

These scores are about double of the old 250 604ev :-)

I have seen even higher moving memory scores with the same machine/upgrade. Is there anything I can do to improve this?

What are the benefits/speed costs of XLR8's "Power Conservation" option in their CP??

Thanks for any tuning tips!

Allen

Allen,

Wish I knew what you could change to up your mem performance. Maybe Gregory will chime in with some of his tips, more up his alley than mine. I always just slapped the G4 in an ran it in default XLR8 settings.

I would think memory quality/speed would be the important issue for GuagePro.

Hey Gregory, what do you think?

Rick

allen,

Overclocking your G4 and therefore your bus speed will up your moving memory, though historically the G4 does not overclock as much as the G3. Let your G4 burn in for awhile and then try overclocking cautiously upward. and check for stability and bootability. At some point, it could be the G4, the backside cache, or your memory that will say enough, I can't do this. Then just back off one or two notches. Heat can also be a problem, especially in the summer. Some cooling never hurts.

One other point, the 8600/250 Mach5 Kansas motherboard, the Kansas mobos have a reputation for slower moving memory. Plenty of good things about the Kansas mobos, just the moving memory, which will cause somewhat slower video and hard drive thruput. xlr8yourmac.com has some comments on this, or at least used to. k

Like kaye said... burn it in for awile... 2 to 4 weeks of dnetc on that G4 will lube those Electron paths but good! If you don't have a team, try Mac Evangelista... top Mac team! The "Electron Etching" has worked on 10 XLR8/G4s so far for me, and yes.. xlr8yourmac.com has plenty of info. If you have a question over there, and because new people can't join... just email me and I'll post it.

Hey BD and Kaye-
    Thanks for the helpful replys. I always enjoy reading you two on these forums, and BD and I have rapped a couple of times in the past, back when he first did a G4 upgrade in his G3 233. But, being a dummy, I missed BD's acronym: dnetc??? And where can I read more on "Electron Etching." For a burn in period, are you two suggesting that I just leave the cpu on for 4 weeks non-stop? Should it be doing anything like a ram-check or just idling?

Best,
    Allen

Oh and BTW, things running well here:

MacBench 5.0

Proc = 1430
    FPU = 1693

w/ write-through disabled.

:-)

Allen,

BDAqua has a lot more patience than I do. Get a new toy, I can't wait that long. I just wait a couple of days at stock settings then begin to move upwards, leaving those settings for a day but exercising the machine for stability. Normal startup and shutdown for me when done. But what BDAqua says about 2-4 weeks makes sense to me in that somewhere in that time period, the board will be broken in, like a new HD takes about 2 weeks. And that is probably what he meant, after 2-4 weeks the burn in will be complete and you may be able to go a bit higher. k

Just remember that when you decide on a stable point, once the hot weather arrives, you may need to back off a notch or two. k

Oh, and you can enable Speculative Processing. Your mach5 Kansas mobo has it right in the ROMs. k

Hey Kaye and BD,

Kaye, I'm glad you brought up Speculative Processing. How do I enable it if I am using MacSpeed Control 2.6.1?? It does not have the option! Do I need one of the earlier CP's? I was getting ready to ask the forums about about this very thing.

Thanks,

Allen

Allen... dnetc is a distributed App that really, really works the heck out of the CPU, (distributednet.com), and if anything can find a weak spot... it can, (IIRC Kaye prefers PowerFrax). But, anyway... Kaye was right, somewhere in between 2-4 weeks at one speed will most lokely assure "Burn-in", or as I call it, "Electron Etching", (you'll only find references to it from me or people I've convinced). It may happen much sooner, and then it may not. It depends on luck of the draw! If it can't be O/Ced more after a solid month of dnetc crunch-vec, then it isn't going to help running it longer... it would need some Vcc tweaking to go beyond that. Most of the time it'll happen sooner than that.

Allen,

It's not on the Advanced tab? I forget what the latest CP looks like. My PTP mobo is removed awaiting another from Trag with some modifications on it. But it looks like I'll have it back together late this week and I can check then if someone else does not chime in with an answer. k

Kaye-
    No. There is no "Advanced" tab in MachSpeed CP 2.6.1. Are there any XLR8 techies lurking the forums these days?? I would like to know if I can use Speculative Processing.

Thanks BDAqua for the clarification. I've been letting the cpu just run for the last 5 days and will continue.

Best,
    Allen

Allen,

I just received a new xlr8 manual via FedEx and you are correct, as far as I can tell there is no longer a selection for enabling Speculative Processing. I do know that even version 1.4.3 works with OS9.1 for my xlr8 G3-500 with the original Carrier (not MPe or SSE) in a PTP and SP is a selection. I don't know at what point in the CP version updaters it ceased being an option but I will be putting my PTP back together tomorrow and will find out. k

[This message has been edited by kaye (edited 29 May 2002).]

Ok, I think I found out why you don't have the SP option. It says in one of the readme files:

Changing the status of Speculative Processing:
    The option to change the status of speculative processing is only available on systems where speculative processing may cause problems.

Since you have a Mach5 Kansas mobo with ROMs that are built for SP, it must be enabled already. k

Kaye-
    Thanks for the SP info. The ReadMe file you quote is a bit vague, and it would be great to know difinitively if your theory is true. Too bad there is no XLR8 presence on the forums. I miss the days when Darin was close by. No complaints on the upgrade, mind you. Things are solid and snappy!! It's just that I have been infected by Guru Fever and must tweak at all costs!!!!!!

:-)

Allen