Thread: XLR8 G4 upgrade and OS X?

Hey,
    I currently own a B&W G3 with a 300mhz processor and 128mb of ram.
    I am also running OS 10.1.3. I want to install the XLR8 500mhz G4 upgrade card and am wondering if it will work with OS X.
    Will it install directly or do I need a special patch?
    If anybody can clear this up for me I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Scott

You'll love it. I'd grab at least 256MB of RAM, and I'd probably pull the 128 you have. OS X is fussy about RAM, and the original Apple RAM probably isn't rated for 500 mhz machines, ie, mine was 10 nanosecond instead of the req'd 8 ns. Common problem.

XLR8 provides clear, easy to follow instructions. !) before installing you have to update the computer's firmware to allow for G4 cpu maybe. 2) once that is done removing the old 300 mhz, apply paste, pop the G4 in. Sounds worse than it is. Check out full detail and photos over on www.xlr8yourmac.com for B&W G3 CPU upgrade reports. Also search the upgrade database.

Wise decision. It will dramatically improve your system. OS X love memory and I'd say 256MB is bare minimum for now, 512MB recommended for better/best. RAM for 256MB (PC100 or PC133) is around $75-85 right now I think.

DIMM First Aid might be in the ftp.macgurus.com library or search VersionTracker.com - just to be sure. You've been running on just 128MB all this time?

XLR8 supplies cache control software to allow adjusting and enabling the backside L2 cache.

A number of us have B&W G3's, and with G4 upgraded CPU. (and Radeon PCI video, additional drives, PCI IDE or SCSI).

Gregory

Thanks for the speedy response. That is just what I wanted to know.
    I can't wait to get the upgrade.
    Thanks again for the encouraging reply,
    Scott

Hi Scott,

I also have a B&W with a XLR8 500G4. Awesome. Installing it was the easiest upgrade I ever did, and I put the old zif in a carrier card to upgrade my 8500 with.

OSX has worked perfectly on my B&W from the beginning. Having a gig of ram makes a huge difference also. RAM is still pretty cheap and if there's one thing OSX likes it's RAM.

Rick

Ditto the comments elsewhere, I've got a beige desktop G3/300 with 384 megs RAM. I bought the XLR8 G4/500 upgrade -- excellent product, and it runs just great with OS 10.1.3.

You'll love it, and it will extend the life of your Mac.

Thanks for the replys
    This may be a stupid question, but I'm gonna ask it anyway.
    Since installing OS 10.1.3 on my B&W the power light no longer turns orange when it sleeps. The HD and Monitor shutdown like they should, but the button stays green. Is this normal for OS X or is this a problem?
    I'm not too worried about it, it doesn't seem to have affected the system any, but I was just curious as to what it means.

Oh yeah!!! I remember what I wanted to ask. Sorry for getting off topic but, has anybody tried the Radeon 7000 PCI 32mb video card? I was considering getting one to replace the stock Rage 128, but have heard several people say that it isn't any good. Is this true, or is it just talk?

Thanks again for the encouraging replys,
    I can't wait to get this thing upgraded, maybe I can put off buying a new computer for a couple more years.
    Scott

Funny on the light thing... my external SCSI Drive's Disk Access light never goes off in OSX either!

Re: your question on the Radeon 7000 - I have one in my Yikes G4/350 -> XLR G4/500 and it works flawlessly. I did follow the ATI instructions of installing software, then the card, etc... but it works great under OS X 10.1.4 and 9.2.2 I have 1.1 GB in that machine and X works really well.

Chris

Thanks,
    I don't think the light thing is serious, but I was just kinda curios as to why it was doing that. When I boot up to 9.2.1 it works normal. I guess OS X just does things differently.
    Thanks again for the replys.
    Scott

Hey, I too noticed the light quit workin'. I'm just not observant enough to put together that an upgrade to 9.2 or 10.1.3 as being the culprit, always thought I'd done some caveman stunt and gone medieval on it. hah.

Rick

It took me a while to notice it. It's just one of those things you never think to look at. I always just come in, hit the space bar and never pay attention to what color the power button is.
    I haven't really tried to diagonse it yet, I'm still getting to know OS X. Maybe once I get used to the new OS I can figure out what the problem is, if any.
    Later,
    Scott