Thread: Need help w/ G4 upgrade

I installed my Powerlogix G4 450Mhz/1MB in my PowerMac 8600/200. After I get to the desktop the finder quits. I have not even been able to install the Powerlogix G4 software, but I only patched the NVRAM with the included boot floppy. I reset the CUDA when I had it open. Any ideas how to fix my problems? The Apple system profile reads the CPU speed as 450Mhz G4 so I know the dipswitches are set. My machine also has 304MB RAM interleaved, 3dfx Voodoo 5 5000 PCI, VST Ultratek ATA card connected to a 46GB IBM Deskstar w/ OS9 on it, and an ADS USB card. All the extensions load properly, but then the finder quits at the desktop before I can install anything. Forgot to mentio I also have a 256k cache DIMM in there from my 604e processor card. Should I pull that? Any help greatly appreciated.

Definitely pull the motherboard L2 cache. It's too slow for the G4 upgrade and smaller than the L2 cache on the upgrade card. That should have been in the installation instructions for the card. If you still have problems, the next thing to check is the memory. I had to replace one stick of memory in an 8500 that was fast enough for the original processor (70ns), but caused intermittent errors in the first 5 minutes with a G3 upgrade.

[This message has been edited by Big Al (edited 18 May 2001).]

I pulled the L2 cache, deinterleaved my RAM and it still didn't work. I put in a new PRAM battery, and decided to put in my old 48MB Apple RAM, and it worked to my suprise, but I only have 48MB RAM

At this point, it's up to you how often you want to open your box and pull the mother board. All of your old memory may be bad or just one stick. If you like getting inside your box you can add one stick at a time to see if any of it works. First you may want to check the markings on the memory chips to see if they are 60ns or 70ns. The chip numbers should end in 6,60,7,70 or something like that.

I've verified all the DIMMs are 60ns, but only 48MB of the 304MB is 2k refresh, the rest is 4k refresh. I was warned about possible upgrade issues when I got the 4k RAM, as it was cheaper at the time. Cheaper isn't always better I guess.

The only thing I can say is to try and find a buyer (with a slower cpu) for the 256MB of 4K refresh. That could defray a good portion of the cost for 2K refresh RAM.

[This message has been edited by Big Al (edited 20 May 2001).]