Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: OK, someone send up the Darin bat-signal

Damn, is Darin practicing some kind of voodoo up there? Sticking pins in little stuffed effigies of people's Macintoshes, like my friend's 8500 I've been working on...?

No shit. As soon as I read his post in the IDE forum about people picking on him and then asking for RMAs, I got up the next morning to finish upgrading this 8500 that belongs to my friend. Real simple, it was supposed to be a MachSpeed 300MHz I picked up from the Gurus back in September. I had never even opened it, and then my friend needed one, so I gave it to her so I could get a faster one.

First thing I notice when I open it up is that it's not a MachSpeed. There's a little note saying I had been automatically upgraded to an actual Carrier. Hey, great, fine with me. I had just installed a 466MHz Carrier in my PTPro the previous day. I checked all the DIP switch settings and they looked fine. The heat sink was the big flat black kind, not the smaller silver one with actual fins.

So I follow all the instructions down to the letter, put the Carrier into her 8500 and boot. No chime.

Pull the Carrier, put back in the original 604 card, and boot. It chimes.

Switch the two again, no chime.

So now I pull the Carrier out and replace it with my own 466MHz Carrier that I had in my PTPro. It chimes.

Then I put her 300MHz Carrier into my PTPro. No chime.

Put my 466MHz Carrier back into my PTPro, and it chimes. Her 8500 still will not chime with the 300MHz Carrier.

Sounds like a problem with the 300MHz Carrier, right?

I checked it over again and noticed something I wasn't expecting. The ZIF card has no jumpers. I checked my 466MHz one and found them just fine, in the standard "JOOJ" jumper configuration for the 10X multiplier.

On her ZIF card, there are no jumpers. And no spot where it looks like they would've been broken off. There is a notch in the heat sink where they would be if the ZIF card had them, but there's nothing there, just empty card.

Anyone have any thoughts? (Other than, "Hey Fletch, you better start eating some major crow with Darin!")

And yes I was wearing my antistatic strap.

[This message has been edited by the_anarch (edited 12 February 2001).]

ta,

Ever do a Cuda Reset on her machine? Yours is expecting a G3, hers is not.

I could be way off here because I have never touched an xlr8 ZIF with the older black heat sink but I think you have to remove that big black heat sink to see the ZIF jumpers. Go here where it shows the jumpers on the left middle with the black heat sink removed http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3CARDS/X...actualsize.jpg

Hope this helps. k

you pulled the cache off the logic board correct?

no jumper settings?

Do you have his tel#. Think he is getting his teeth fixed.

hope their RMA dept is faster than their shipping dept. I called Darin for my performance package in December and he has contacted the shipping dept 3 or 4 times. They claim to have sent it out twice. The second time being next day air. Been 2 or 3 weeks since I last talked to Darin and still no show. Next time I call, I want... Well,

j

[This message has been edited by jorge (edited 12 February 2001).]

Kaye, I did a cuda reset between every switch. Including on my PTPro. Not to mention that her 8500 would actually boot and chime with my 466MHz Carrier installed. So that shouldn't be it.

I'm trying to decide how far I'm willing to push my luck, as I might decide to test the two Carriers with switched ZIFs. Maybe I can narrow the problem down further to just the Carrier card or just the ZIF itself. Since I do have a fully-functioning 466MHz Carrier in my PTPro now, should I be afraid at all of harming either the Carrier or the ZIF if I switch one of them with the suspect Carrier or ZIF?

The jumpers on the picture you linked me to are exactly where the notch in the black heat sink on this Carrier is. Except that where the jumpers are shown in that picture, there are none on this one.

Jorge, I did remove the L2 cache, which was an ordeal in and of itself. Removing the motherboard for that machine is not easy, especially when one of the power connectors absolutely refuses to release. Not to mention that I was utterly confused for a couple of hours when I was trying to figure out why there was no ROM SIMM in the ROM slot above the RAM slots.

Just to clarify, this Carrier does have the DIP switches on the card itself. And they were set for 300MHz, as best I could tell. What appears to be missing are the four jumpers on the ZIF that determine the processor's speed multiplier. I'd like to figure out what's going on with that, because even if the DIP switches are correctly set for 300MHz, if the multiplier is somehow set at 10X (meaning 500MHz) on the ZIF, then that would explain no chiming right away.

I'm gonna try and get the heat sink off tonight. But this is gonna be tough, my friend really needs her machine back when she returns from vacation this weekend. I don't have Darin's telephone number.

Darin Ames
    > Senior Support Technician
    > XLR8
    > dames@xlr8.com
    > 617-232-9730
    >
    cheers
    M

Anarch,
    some MACh Carrier especially slower speeds, were LCs (lower cost). These were akin to the kind that BLOL, OWC and such sold, except for the fact that they actually work. They also do not have jumpers on the ZIFs. In this case, the multiplier is controlled by DIP switches 9-12.

1 2 4 6 7 8 10 ON should work at 300/200/50. If not, try 1 3 4 6 10 11 12 ON. If you still get no luck, lemme know and we'll RMA that bad boy for you.

Or, you could always stick it back in box and wait another couple of months to see if it turns into a MACh Velocity dual G4 450.

Not that this is any relevance to a solution, but I wanted to let you all know that my brother bought a Carrier G3/366 1MB direct from XLR8 online and it was sent to him including a ZIF that had no jumpers. This was the carrier that some of you may remember I was having issues with in my 9600 but it worked great in his.

Ummmm, Anarch....how's the RAM in that machine?

None of the CPU's slower than about 400 had jumpers. Apple G3's didn't have jumpers. If it's broke, that's not the reason. Did you buy it at a Bottom Line closeout sale?

Nope, I bought it right here, back in September. I had intended to put it in my PowerCenter Pro, but all kinds of circumstances conspired to delay that, and then by the time I came around to doing it again, I had my PowerTower Pro, and the 466MHz's had come way down in price, so...

DSM, my friend's 8500 only has 32MB RAM. However I wonder if that would really be the problem, since my 466MHz boots up in it fine. Not to mention that the suspect Carrier will NOT boot up in my PTPro, which has 384MB of RAM.

I just tried both DIP switch settings that Darin suggested, and nothing changed. Although I did just learn something interesting: holding down the power switch on the 8500's mobo makes it start up for a split second, then abruptly abort. I freaked myself out for a few minutes until I thought of just pressing the switch and letting go.

Anyone think I should bother trying to switch ZIFS with the good Carrier and try those combinations, or should I just go straight to RMA-land with Darin?

[This message has been edited by the_anarch (edited 13 February 2001).]

I would go straight to RMA-land and not take apart something that works. What you purchased does not work. I would leave it at that. k

OK yall, I'm sending a bat-signal to Darin's e-mail now. Guess we'll start the meter running...

send it back. my first G3 500 was defective. they exchanged it in less than a week and nicely threw in a USB performance package for all the trouble. class-act.
    M

did someone shoot Darin an email?

dames@xlr8.com, among others.

last I heard, he was getting hair-plugs or something.

I hadn't sent him an email message yet, I was going to wait until tonight so I could check the Carrier to be absolutely sure of what I got. It's a little confusing since what I ordered (and what is indicated on the packaging) is a vintage MachSpeed 300MHz, not the 300MHz MAChCarrier that was actually in the box.

Now that I think about it I guess I'll just send him a message and let him know, and if there's still confusion about what I need to exchange I'll check it tonight.

Oh, quiet down you pansies, I'm here.

I spent the day in the dentist's chair getting all the real temps put in. I have to admit it... I look like a fucking movie star. The teeth don't look fake, they look like I was born with perfect, white teeth. Sort of the same sense that Mag was born with an indescribably small schwantz.

Fletch,
    got your e-mail. I'll take care of this either later tonight when I feel a bit better (and the pain killers wear off) or tomorrow first thing.

All I can think about is my bud's girlfriend.

I suck.

"schwantz"?

Thanks Darin, you take your time, I don't want to think about the kind of pain you must be having in your face right now. Thanks for your help.

Oh one other thing, while you're thinking about your bud's girl: when you go back in that last time to have the last temps taken out and the permanents put in, under no circumstances should you show this woman your posts.

It's Yiddish for penis.

call her!

get OUT of here! (Finch, American Pie)

You can't be serious. Do you know how many people's surnames are Schwantz? Jim Schwantz is a pretty well-known sports journalist, for example. Unless the word is more like Yiddish slang, kinda like how "Dick" is in English, well... that's a pretty big matzah ball hangin' out there! (Seinfeld)

schwantz is german for tail. yiddish is based on a dialect form of old german.

M