Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New CPU upgrades

Well, any of you Gurus going to spill the beans on your impressions of the new CPU upgrades ?

Mad Dog

Yeah, really. I know the sweat must have totally saturated those XLR8 docs in Magician's hands by now. So let the cat out of the bag. The cards look super-spiffy and I hear (read Kaye's post) that they run in vintage machines just fine. Seem to take the Umax approach where processors can be of different speeds, too. Nice touch for us not likely to drop the whole amount of dough so we can get that new G4 with a CDRW/DVDRAM drive. Yikes. It's going to be a rice and beans year for me.

we should be ready to post pricing for Carrier 2.0 sometime today....and begin shipping.

CarrierMPe, meaning Carrier 2.0 with an MPe G4 ZIF premounted, will be a little while. I need to talk to disty to see when they are coming in.

as for Velocity....I'm not aware that XLR8 has actually mentioned a ship-date yet, so I can't, either. In fact, all I've seen are three press releases....

today should see some more clarification of all this stuff, I think.

ok...just posted Carrier 2.0. aka Carrier MPe.

looks like realistic ship-dates for CarrierZIF MPe and Velocity will be around March.

OK, I've looked to see if anyone's discussed this recently, but can't find anything, so I just gotta ask...

The bug where you can't use PCI cards in the lower three slots of six-slot machines with a G4- has XLR8 said anything about fixing that with the Carrier MPe? Has anyone ever speculated on whether or not fixing that bug would mean fixing the Carrier or fixing the ZIFs? Or both?

Dogstarman- I can't find Kaye's post that you refer to- which one was that?

From the Macworld SF forum...

Kaye says, "XLR8 took good care of me. I called from Moscone, spoke with Jack Kolk, and he told me to come on over, though they were booked up with press for the whole day. I met Jack and Dave Marsden, and Dave went thru the MP stuff that I was interested in. They had various machines, vintage on up, with xlr8 dual G4 processors. Would not sell me one yet. Dave gave me the press kit with the details."

Really a good read.
    http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000056.html

That "lower three slots" thing goes back several months. I never heard that it was fixed.

it's a G4 thing, not a Carrier thing.

I think they have focused on MPe to the exclusion of all else in the past weeks. Jack Kolk did tell me that they would prioritize the lower 3-slot problem after the show.

What about a 9600/233 motherboard compatability with the velocity MPe? I've heard the Mach 5 is better, but I'm not sure why. Did anything in Kaye's info. package shed any light?

[This message has been edited by Tyrosmurf (edited 20 January 2001).]

ok, let's get Darin in here to give us the party line. I'll page him.

There's only so much I can say before a product ships, but the lower three slot issue is being addressed. Whether or not it will be completely overcome has yet to be determined. As Mag said, it's a G4 thing, and from I have been told by our engineers, trying to work around this issue is a serious mofo.

There will be *some* software utility that will scan the PCI busses and aid in configuring a working setup.

Let me find out if I can tell any more and I'll post more tomorrow. Hang in there guys. Honestly, it's Mac fanatics like you all that make this gig fun for me and I'm honored to be able to serve you.

If they beat the pci bug and put dual 800s in a 9600?! I'll

Didnt Newer Tech fix the 6-slot G4 issue? Maybe XLR8 could buy Newer - or what is left of them. I wunder if the S900 is affected? Since it only has 1 PCI controller.

I think the Max speed of a dual G4 config in a vintage mac (3 or 6 slots) is 450Mhz, unless XLR8 gets some of Sonnets 'FORSITHIMO' bus doubling technology.

--WAIT-- Did someone mention somewhere that the new 7450 has a 16x mulitiplier????

Strange - the G4e+ can be about what 50 to 100% faster than a regular G4 per Mhz - running at 16x50=800Mhz - maybe we get 1MB of one die L1 cache and 2MB of backside L3 cache running at 3:2 on each processor? I think we would need it.

[This message has been edited by PENDRAGON18 (edited 18 January 2001).]

Sonnet bought out the brains behind Newer, so maybe that is our best hope. I knew they were working on the issue...did they fix it?

And yes, the current run of G4's (I think) only support 9x bus speed.

I found a table on Motorola's web page which listed a summary of processor characteristics for 603s, 750 series and 7400 series. I thought that it had the new 7450 on there, but I guess it doesn't after all. Here's the URL: http://e-www.motorola.com/collateral/PPCCPUSUMM.pdf. Hopefully they'll update the document for the new processors soon.

my understanding is that Newer claimed to have fixed the problem, but in reality further engineering was required. I could be wrong. I hear all kinds of wacky stuff here.

I suspect this issue will be resolved shortly, as who else is going to want to buy dual G4's from XLR8 but owners of six slot Power Macs? I mean, think about it. They have to fix it.

right?

Hopefully with the Cali-grid in flux TRIPP LITE will sell a TON of UPS system and enable XLR8 to come out with some KILLER hardware. TRIPP is the parent of XLR8, right?

Didnt Mike Breeden run some tests with G4's on 6 slot macs?
    I know the first run of G4's was more or less a failure.

I would bet 6 slot macs would make a big chunk of sales, but there are many BeigeG3s, B&Ws & Yikes - Yikes is ZIF, right?

Hopefully SONNET got their money's worth. They do have some good stuff and Gurus likes them. That is IMPORTANT.

Some interesting info on pricing of both old and new xlr8: http://macspeedzone.com/art/edge/xlr8/jan_01.html k

too bad they want money to be listed on their site.

Alright M. Are we still looking at end of Feb. for a delivery date? And is there any news on the 6-slot problem?