Thread: external hard drive not found

my powermac dual 1g G4 doesnt recognize my Exterand HD anymore. Its a loaner from a client who wanted me to digitze some footage onto it. It was working fine till this afternoon when i was viwing a clip in fcp and the clip would stop playing then the drive would make some noises, i got the beachball of death. I shutdown then restarted and noticed the HD didnt show up on my desktop. How do i get it back>? Im using OSX, and its missing on OS9 too.

I assume that means that Disk utility didn't see the drive, nor Disk First Aid. For now, try using Disk Warrior in OS 9 and see if that helps. Drive 10 has also worked for some. DW3 may or may not be totally safe yet, but 2.1.1 should, and you can buy and download it while you wait for CD.

One way to try to get back the drive and data is to take it out of the FW case and install it, inside (its just an IDE drive) and work with it that way if you feel comfortable (and the owner).

I'm not sure FireWire has yet reached the point of being reliable under OS X. One of the members did some testing that might shock you.

Does the drive show up under ASP? If not you may have a bad bridge. I would check this on another "MAC" (do not use a PC). If it still does not show up under ASP then try a new case like Gregory suggested, or even better put the IDE drive in your system and back it up! Then try a new case.

Bob McWilliams

thanks for the replies guys.
    I just used Disk Utility in OSX but it doesnt help, verify and repair disk permissions is dimmed for the LaCie HD. Not sure what ASP means? Dont have any other Macs to test with. Im not comfortable taking the HD out and installing it interanally. Il see if i can use DW ot D10 somehow.

A dimmed out hard drive means it needs to be mounted usually.

Mac OS 9.2 is probably more reliable place.

Some how OS9.1 show as an option for disk startup. Ive never seen it here before.(it must have been on the LaCieHD). ALso when i start up OS9.2 i get this message, "This disk is unreadable by this computer. Do you want to initialize the disk". If i choose yes it says it will erase the whole disk, not good.

chucky,

ASP=Apple System Profiler

It looks like the media is OK. Did you ever use this drive on a PC? I think it may be time to bring in the advanced tools. I do not use them, but there are plenty of ideas and opinions on the best and easyest to use.

Bob McWilliams

DOnt know if this drive was used on PC but most files on it are for mac. Im just gonna initialize the disk and start over since im running out of ideas and have a deadline to meet.
    THanks for taking the time gurus. You guys ROCK!

Hmmm, you guys have tempted me to install this puppy internally. Can somebody point me out in the right direction please, ive never installed a hard drive.
    Not sure if its ATA 100/66?(Lacie 75gb FFW inside blue and gray box).

What if i initialize the FWHD, dump all my work and files from one of my internall drives onto the external FWHD.
    Then i could capture more footage onto my internall HD...But what if all my work and files on the FWHD goes Kapoot? Maybe this is a bad risk, but im running down to 20-30 gigs on my internall HD and still need to re-capture 5 hours of DV

???

Taking apart the FW case should be easy, but it's not yours. The drive will be set to master jumper. If you share this drive on your internal IDE bus, it will need to be jumpered as 'slave.'

Some drives are set on the facing side with cable and power as "master only" or "master with slave."

head to the vendors web site and look up the drive but usually the jumper instructions are on the drive, on a label. piece of cake.

Sounds like you should be buying a bigger drive, and maybe an IDE controller to allow more internal storage - as well as being faster.

SIIG card is popular and many go with the HARD RAID and then use two drives for one very large and fast scratch and editing volumes.

Just add it to the cable that came on the internal ATA drive. Make sure that each drive is set for master and slave (jumpers on drive), each drive can have different settings most drives have a table of jumpers on top of the drive. ATA is backward compatible so just put it on the bus. So long as power and the ATA cable is plugged in right the worst case is that you will not be able to boot until the drives master/slave settings are OK.

Bob McWilliams

Thanks for sharing the great knowledge. But the owner said it would void the warranty if i dit that.

Chucky,

It may be too late now, but I think Disk Warrior is your only hope at this point for possibly repairing the FW drive. It is downloadable at Alsoft and followed up with a CD. If the download includes version 2.1 as well as the new version 3, I would use 2.1. Both will come on the CD but you don't want to wait for that. k