Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any luck booting to Jaguar w/ext firewire?

Howdy,

I'm looking to buy a new firewire drive, but I want the ability to boot to MacOS X (specifically Jaguar) with it. I've heard conflicting reports and stories regarding the ability to boot to X with an ext firewire drive, so basically I'm looking for anyone who has actually done it. If you have, will you please tell me what make and model drive with which you accomplished it? I'm also looking to use this drive to clone OS X installs to new computers as to avoid the tedium of installing everything by hand, so if you have done this as well, please let me know.

Thanks very much!

-Josh Glaser

Can't answer the question without knowing what Mac you plan to use. Anything after a G4 Yikes! I think should. Blue G3 cannot, even though it has native FireWire ports. And adding PCI FW card won't enable FW booting. It's like adding USB but not being able to use it to select booting from CDs using the "C" key because the USB isn't enabled early enough to allow searching and finding USB devices.

Search the drive upgrade database on www.xlr8yourmac.com for various FireWire drives. Its possible that FireWire-800 will make for better Firewire disk drive possibilities.

Having two or more internal disk drives is one option. Sometimes you can 'get away' with having OS X on a 2nd partition.

You also may want to look into MicroMat TechTool Pro 4.0.

It will be on new iMacs and G4 towers. The ability to boot to X is also determined by the ext. drive's firmware, which is why I was looking for success stories. :-)

Thanks,

Josh

By 'drive firmware' I assume you don't mean the drive itself but the bridge, as in "Oxford-911?" I've used IBM Deskstars but FireWire itself seems very unreliable for use as a real disk drive. And, I prefer to choose my own case and drive, or move drives from internal to FW as I get a new and better ATA drive (currently looking at 80GB 180GXPs for HARD RAID). OS X changes what it supports or not the way the wind blows, very changeable.

What worked for one person hasn't always meant it is universal.

check out Carbon Copy Cloner. There were and may still be problems using FireWire, but if there are, I tend to think it is in Apple's hands, and FW itself, rather than the software. Supports creating netboot images and more. www.bombich.com and there is a new thread with more info.

I really wanted to like FireWire, and keep trying, but SCSI has been reliable, fast, supported, bootable. you can pick up UL2D for $50, 18GB Atlas 10K III $97, so you are left with terminator and cable ($170).

Granite Digital www.scsipro.com has more expensive FW cases than OWC, but then, they also work better and don't have to send a couple DOAs back to get one that does work, so it didn't really save me all that much. GD also has better IDE and FW cables.

FireWire ports can have too much give, too loose, not snug, which has also been troublesome and worth avoiding or testing when you do get one.

Gregory,

Thanks very much for your in depth answer. However, you have not answered my question. I am merely looking for success stories of people booting into OS X via an external firewire drive. I have used CCC, but my firewire HD does not allow for booting into OS X.

Please excuse the bluntness of this post.

Thanks,

Josh

alphasoixante,

I've got a FW enclosure from AverMedia with a 20GB toshiba drive I picked up from a dead laptop inside of it. Holding down the option key whilst booting a G4 brings up the boot manager which allows me to select the FW drive which has 10.2 on it.

Your milage may vary, however.

Did you boot all the way into X? I get that too, but It won't load all the way.

Thanks!

Josh

Sorry, want to help but I CANNOT boot from FW (I still use B&W G4).

What did you use to create your bootable FW volume? Install from Jag disks? CCC? that has a LOT to do with whether you are successful and whether Darwin links were handled, and the system(s) folders blessed properly.

CCC 2.1.2, Synchronize! Pro 2.x and a couple others, maybe. Haven't tried with FWB Backup Toolkit but it should also.

Been booting X on fw since 10.1x- EZQuest cases; I think they are Maxtor drives inside, Oxford 911 bridges- G4733, cloned X systems using CCC. Continues to work great through Jag.2.3. My B&W will not of course. Anybody know if the newer G4 upgrades for a B&W will allow an fw boot? Gregory, yours is older, right?

i'm also booting into OS 10.2.2 with my ez quest 7,200rpm firewire drive. in fact, i'm running off it right now. i used carbon copy cloner to make a clone of my DP main machine's configuration. (did it before upgrading to 10.2.3. just in case.) it worked flawlessly. make sure you have a lot of space available on the drive you're cloning to.
    M

Hey all,

Thanks for all the responses. I have purchased an EZQuest Boa+ and have successfully cloned (via CCC) OS X.2.3 and OS 9.2.2 to a Dual 867 tower, a iMac DV 400 and an iBook 800 without a hitch. CCC and EZQuest ROX!

Cheers,
    Josh

Hi folks,

sure could use your help!! before smoking the HD on my Cube prior to selling it to get my new FW800, i used CCC to make a copy of 10.2.3 on my Lacie 20gig FW; worked flawlessly. Shut everything down. restarted my Cube w/ the FW cloned copy and it worked just beautifully; did it 3 times to make sure. smoked my Cube HD when the new g4 got here. fired it up on the osx that was on the g4 when I got it; recognized my FW drive; changed the startup disk to FW in sys prefs: yep, won't boot from the FW; I can use the FW to transfer data back and forth between it and the HD on the G4, just can't boot from it. 10.2.3 on both are the same versions; hoped that 10.2.4 would help, it didn't. any thoughts???

tony

Hi Copdoc -

Sounds very much like my problem...check this if you have not seen it yet: http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/Forum23/HTML/000386.html

My FW HD was booting fine too, until I tried moving to different machine than the one I used to install OS X from. Keep in mind it is a clean install, so nothing should be mucking it up.

Yep,

sounds like just what's happening with mine! thanks for the heads up on the thread you quoted - I had not seen it before. Have you been able to get yours to boot up yet?

thanks again,

tony

Working on it right now; will post if I get anywhere (playing with permissions....). I did get the 10.1.5 volume to boot on a different machine, but no luck yet on the 10.2.3 volume yet.

ran pdisk and it recognizes the presence of my FW volume; correctly reports its size and the amount of space left on it; don't know if that matters or not.Also ran disk utility again from the software restore CD that came w/ my new G4, repaired all the permissions yet again, and still "no cigar."

Sure do appreciate your help; wish I knew more so that I could return your assistance

tony

Well, no success here yet. I still feel like it is a permisons issue; I wonder if it woould make any difference to log in as root and set permissions for the volume in question as follows:

owner: admin (system?)---r/w
    Group:-----------------r/w
    Others: ----------------r/w

Then push the "Apply to enclosed items...." button

**Warning**: I am grasping at straws, but playing with the above (as admin, not root) seems to have changed the way the drive is behaving...trying from root may do untold damage - I have no idea yet. Will play with this tomorrow as I have no data to lose.

------------------

As for your dilema, why not use CCC to copy the volume contents? It should be bootable according to bonbich.com , and if not, then reinstall OS X using the Archive and Replace? Some here who know their stuff (like Gregory) are not fans of this option, but I have used it several times with no problems. If you are starting with a clean drive in your Mac, not much to lose: you still have the FW drive in it's current condition, and you can erase the drive to try something else if it either does not work.

All this assumes you want to transfer the data from FW to internal drive; otherwise we are still in the same boat.

[This message has been edited by newbie (edited 18 February 2003).]

logged in as root; gave read and write permissions in each category; applied to all items in FW; logged out, back in; selected FW as startup; restarted; no cigar. aarrgghhh. I can still launch items within the FW, eg., Word Documents, etc, but just can't start up from the FW. Hopefully DiskWarrior will come out with its bootable CD. I'll keep playing around here as well to see if I happen on something that works.

thanks again, tony

transferred all my critical data to my HD; smoked my FW; CCC'd my HD to my FW; attempted to boot from FW and got the following kernal panic message:

/etc/master.passwrd: no such file or directory sh-2.05a#

any thoughts?

tony

CCC always worked perfectly back in 10.1.5... have had a few problems with the latest version for 10.2.x, but have not tackled them yet. Just in case you have not checked, there is some info in the forums at bombich.com

Read a short blurb from a user the other day claiming to have problems CCCing, and after several attempts got it right by *NOT* checking the boxes to repair permissions, erase target, etc. Not what one would expect...

Let us know if you figure it out!