Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Seagate won't work in Firewire case??Stumped, need help.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    boulder co usa
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Hello folks

    I purchased a Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm drive (ST380021A) for use in a Caldrives external Oxford 911 Firewire case. I formatted the drive on the Macs IDE bus w/Drive Setup before installing it in the case....the drive shows up on the desktop but whenever I drag files over, say, 20 mb onto it the system freezes, with the mouse still active but all else frozen. This is driving me nuts, any ideas?? I need my gigs!

    Thanks,
    Steve

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Mobius Strip
    Posts
    13,045

    Default

    Which mac are you using? it seems that some FW cases, even 2G Oxford 911's are faulty. Also, with a B&W, some people have had to use FW PCI rather than the built-in ports.

    [rant on] Three years and all the "FireWire will replace SCSI" when a) FW drives are not bootable on B&W which came out in 1999 - a year after FW was intro'd; b) still ongoing problems but getting better. More hype in some cases than reality. [rant off]

    My 2nd case from OWC worked. I've heard people go through three exchanges (at their own cost for shipping and 15% restocking) so I try not to do business there.

    Formatting with DS 2.07 and moving it to a case should work. 9.1 or later's FW enabler should also work. Using OS X's Disk utility seems to work slightly better. If you have Intech HDST 3.5 that would be one option. Data corruption? bad cable? What does DFA, Disk Warrior, etc say? I assume you've looked for firmware update; checked www.xlr8yourmac.com user database to see if others use that combo, etc. or for any special reviews or reports.

    Even a cheap PC FW card ($20) can work in systems that have built-in FW ports, or the XLR8 model.

    Gregory

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    boulder co usa
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Hi there

    Thanks for the input. Here's what I did to get things to work: I got the lastest FW drivers from Apple (FW Support 2.7 and FW Enbaler 2.7) and formatted the FW drive w/HD SpeedTools. I also had to dumb the drive down quite a bit w/the Drive Tuning feature of SpeedTools. Now things are fine on my B&W at home and my G4 at work. I think this case is the same one OWC sells, some people told me they've had success w/their cases. Thanks again!
    -Steve

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    9

    Default

    I just picked up a granite digital ide/firewire enclosure using an ibm deskstar 80G/7200 IDE drive. Had some problems w/ OSX, but 9.2.2 worked fine. I was using 10.1.0, and finally upgraded it with the 10.1.3 combo update, and it worked fine after that. (Hardware TiBook 400MHz/10G/384MB).

    Now my problem seems to be that I don't get 48MB/s transfer speed - see related topic..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •