Thread: 7600, Firewire and iMovie

I have an xlr8 MachFire (bought at gurus) card in my 7600 and I can't get iMovie to see an Elura2 DV camera on the other end (same with Strata Video shop). In your page on the Machfire card you said it was iMovie compatible and from Apple's page I know the Elura2 is also. Is there something else I should be doing or may not be doing right? The rest of my system specs are as follows:
    466G3 running at 500/250 (also bought at gurus)
    198M Ram
    10G HD

Any help or suggestions you could offer would be appreciated. Thanks.

casa...

You don't say, but I believe the camera must be ON BEFORE you boot iMovie.

Note that 10 Gig (of course, not all 10 are available for it) won't hold 60 minutes of digital video from a miniDV...takes around 12 Gig.

We've been playing with a JVC miniDV and have successfully copied video to a hard drive many times, edited, etc. Getting the finished product BACK to the camera (fresh tape presumably) has been problematic. My 15-yearold has been doing all this...once he gets out of the 'rest home' (he's got video 'burned out' marks all over him ) I'm putting him back on-task with a virgin 9.x OS, PT Pro et all setup in a do-or-die effort.

I'm curious how your 'back-to-the-camera' phase goes...once you get past this hurdle, of course.

That seems to have done it. The camera is now recognized by iMovie but I seem to have run into other problems. The pick up rate is really bad. It's only picking up about one frame every five or so seconds. I tried changing the memory allocation to 60Meg but this seemed to make it worse. It went back when I changed it to 40Meg. WRT HD space I only want to put together 5 or 10 minutes quicktime clips to put on a website so grandparents can see clips of the kids. Nothing too ambitious. I don't want to store them long term on the HD. Eventually I was going to burn them as QT clips onto a CDRW. Do you have any suggestions of the minimum extensions for operating iMovie?

Danno has some tips that may be useful in this thread: www.macgurus.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000092.html

Regards

Thanks for that thread. I'll have to give some of it a try. I'm actually getting inconsistent recognition of the camera and I still haven't nailed it down exactly what is making it work or not. Most of the time when I try to play using the iMovie controls I only get one frame every 5-10sec or so. This is with selecting the preference for smoother play and less resolution. The one session I was able to use the import function I kept on getting the message about HD writing problems. Optimized the HD but haven't been able to get the camera to be recognized consistently. From the thread I shouldn't have any speed issues as my HD and processor seem to be fast enough. I'll try cutting back on the extensions and see what that does.

STRATA DV is FREE!
    Check it out... maybe its better than iMovie?
    http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000203.html

------------------
    Life in the fast lane leads to:
    The Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe

casa...

I wouldn't be too quick in assuming the HD throughput is suitable for the miniDV upload. With your comments about 'HD writing problems' (NOT a Positive message in any context) and, my guess that you are using the on-board SCSI interface, you should thoroughly examine your 'best' throughput scenario.

Get the Express Tools kit (free here at the Gurus ftp site...quirky though, I had to get it at ATTO's page) and run the Benchmark selection (sort of hidden, select your HD in the right window & then look under the menus for 'Bench...', set 8Meg as max test size).

If your results aren't well over the req'd SUSTAINED throughput with it then I doubt the real-world throughput is anywhere close to enough for camcorder-to-disk loads.

You need enough VOLUME of data and it has to be SMOOTH. That is why they've had 'AV'-specific HDs for some time. Most of these are running 2+ megabytes of on-board hardware cache. My Atlas 10k IIs all have EIGHT meg. The Atlas V drives have FOUR meg. I also have some older 'Cudas & Atlas IIs with just 512k.
    A big difference.

Any number of software 'pieces' (eg. extensions) could also be causing the throughput to 'cough' ad nauseum.

I think you are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel...but be sure its the Boy Scout troop coming to save you that's causing the rails to vibrate...and not the freight train that comes through every afternoon.

Thanks for the advice on the utility. I'll give that a try to see what it says. I'm still getting the problems writing the the HD. It will import about 3-5 seconds of a clip before hiccuping. I'm also going to try gradually reducing the OS9 base extension set until I run into problems to see if that helps.

The other problem I had was getting the software to recognize the camera but I finally isolated that to having the camera plugged in and turned on when I boot up the computer. If I do that I can un-plug and plug in and it will be recognized. Otherwise no joy.

Unfortunately I seem to have run into a brick wall with my system. Right now I have the original Fireball 1.1 G drive and a 8.9 Seagate Medalist Pro in my 7600. I'm down to very few extensions now and I can still only get about 4 to 5 seconds of video out of the camera. Researching a bit it seems like the Seagate drive only has 124k or 512k cache. Looks like I may need a new drive.

As a further question does anyone have any recommendations as to the min. cache for a HD? Can I get away with using the internal SCSI bus? In a previous question it was recommended to me to go with an LVD drive and the miles2. I would like to save money but I don't want any false economies and end getting something that doesn't work. I guess my real question is would the narrow (50pin) drive that gurus sell work or do I need the LVD drive?