Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: firewire and JVC DVcam

Hi people,
    I know this is a litte OT but i just dont know where to turn...
    my G4 does not see my jvc Mini DV cam.
    not in iMovie
    not in the system profiler
    i cant get info from JVC.
    Apples website is no help.
    I have tried rebooting with the camera off,rebooting with the camera on,
    booting and leaving the camera off until i boot iMovie ect...you get the point.
    All my troubleshooting skills honed by years of digital audio cannot solve this problem...any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks
    D

You probably already know this; but if you're running OS 9.xx, download Apple's FireWire 2.5. You also need to be sure that you have the latest version of QuickTime and be sure that FireWire DV Enabler and Firewire DV Support are active. Those two QT goodies are your drivers.

Does a FireWire bus show in Apple System Profiler?

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 14 September 2000).]

Hey PTProDude,

I am interested in your quest but not sure if I'll help or just sit stewing in the same can with you. I also have a JVC DVcam and just got a FireWireDirect FW/USB board a couple of weeks ago. I have been so damn busy I haven't had the chance to play around with it yet.

I have a PM9600/350, GR-DVF-11 cam and iMovie 1.x. I will hook it up this weekend for sure to investigate. I know, as you probably do, that the JVC's are not "supported" by Apple---that's gettin' to be a real annoying designation these days---but I figured that would mean we might not have camera controls in software. I sure expected to be able to "see" the camera and manually record or playback.

One question for you: does the G4 have 4-pin or 6-pin FW out ports? I have 6-pin outs and a 6-pin cable so I guess I'll need a 6-to-4-pin adapter...

W'ell be yakkin'

Louie,
    Thank you for the ideas
    yes, the firewire bus shows in the profiler.
    My firewire ext was 2.3 so i upgraded to 2.5. no difference
    i have quicktime 4.1 installed i think that is the latest ver. Im going to confirm that.
    FireWire DV Enabler and Firewire DV Support installed and active.

MacMikester,
    I have the same cam.
    I dont really care that much about the controls. i just want to get the video in the computer.
    i would hate to think that i bought a camera that just wont work.
    Apple acts like its so easy. Maybe they should put in thier comercials that you have to buy a certain cam.

6 pin on the G4, 4 pin on the cam.
    Yes you will need a cord.
    Good luck this weekend and please post your results.
    maybe together we can get this figured out.
    thanks
    PT

use the QuickTime updater in the QuickTime folder to update all QT resources. It is very important that you are running 4.1.2, unless you have access to a QT5 beta.

magician,
    thank you. i ran the updater and now have 4.1.2
    but i still dont see the cam in the system profiler.
    i see the firewire bus, but not the cam.
    i am now running
    OS 9.0.2
    firewire 2.5
    QT 4.1.2

[This message has been edited by PTProDude (edited 15 September 2000).]

[This message has been edited by PTProDude (edited 15 September 2000).]

You've still got the 9.04 update to try.

you can swap cables, and make sure that the power supply is plugged into the camera, too.

definitely use the Software Update control panel to ensure that all patches are applied.

thanks guys,

I will try 9.04 and a cable swap on monday.

Have a good weekend!

Het PTPDude,

Sorry to be incommunicado but I can't find a stinking cable locally--anywhere
    I will order one and return here, see ya

I don't think any DV Cam actually shows up as connected to the Firewire Bus in the Apple Profiler. The best way to test if it works is to actually try to capture from a DV Capture program like iMovie, Premiere or Final Cut Pro.

In iMovie, with the DV Cam connected and turned on, select "New Project".If the DV Cam will work with iMovie, then the DV Cam screen will be mirrored on the iMovie and, depending on the camera, the control buttons for Play-Stop-Recrd-Forward-Rewind may work.

If you can get your hands on an Adobe Premiere application, you may want to try your JVC with it. It uses a plug-in called FireWire Device Control (download from Adobe v. 1.3 for OS 9.04). From Premiere's File menu, go to "Movie Capture". If the DV Cam works with Premiere you will also see the DV Cam's screen mirrored in Premiere's capture screen. The control buttons should also work.

Hope this has been of help.

Hey PTPDude,

Finally got a FireWire cable and hooked up the cam with iMovie. All works fine--even better than I thought it might. Couple of points:

The cam must be ON and connected when iMovie is opened. If not, no go when you turn the cam on later. If the cam is in a record mode, iMovie shows a blue screen in the player and states 'camera ready to record'. If the cam is in Play mode, iMovie shows a blue screen in the player and states 'camera connected'.

After 'New Project' dialog, player view mirrors camera when you use the far left screen button to switch out of edit mode into capture mode.

All the camera controls on the player work with the JVC GR-DVF-21--very cool! (I said I had the GR-DVF-11 before but I was incorrect--if you have the -11, it should still work)

As jvlm2 mentions, Apple System Profiler doesn't show camera.

Bottom line: I think it should work for you unless your FireWire board is incompatible for some reason.

Regards

Hey MacMikester,
    thanks for the report.
    you've given me hope that i will eventually get this to work.
    I have followed all the suggestions and i still get a blue screen and the words "camera disconnected" although i am still running 9.02.
    I lost my connection in the middle the update, so ill try again tonight.
    What kind of computer are you using?
    I have been trying to use my G4.
    If the G4 won't work, maybe i'll try putting a firewire card in the old 7600 i have at home.
    First i'm going to get 9.04 and also try to find a copy of premier to test.
    thank for the help
    i will post my results
    PT

Hey PTPD,

I'm gone for a day but will check back. You just gotta get it to work,man, it's cool as hell! I made a 15 sec movie (mostly of the back of my head), complete with flying letter title and applause, in about 5 min. Hollywood here I come!

PM9600/350, stock Mach5 chip, OS9.0.4 with all updates, FireWireDirect USB/FW board, using the FireWireDirect drivers and the Apple stuff loaded too

Definitely try 9.0.4 and try with only the Apple OS extension set if need be. You might have a conflict with the FireWire drivers. One wild thought--you don't get some of the FireWire enablers and junk installed with the OS 'cause your machine has onboard FireWire: maybe one of these extra pieces is helping me? Might be worth an experiment.

Make sure your cable is good and connections are tight. (the freakin' cable cost me $50 at Circuit City but its a MonsterCable)

Good luck

monster cables are awesome.

again, make sure that you have a power adapter plugged into the camera.

also, make sure that you are using a complete "pro" version of the QuickTime, and that you are running the latest revision. You need to update QuickTime using the updater in the QuickTime folder. Use the Software Updater control panel to update all other system resources.

Any luck getting your connection to work yet, PTProDude? I am having the same "camera disconnected" problem with my G3 400 with built-in firewire when using iMovie. While I haven't solved my problem either, your problem sounds similar. I have a JVC professional DV deck, model BR-DV600U, which won't show up as connected to iMovie on the blue and white G3, but it works just fine with Adobe Premiere and Final Cut Pro on the same machine. And it connects fine with iMovie on a different machine, a beige G3 with a Digital Origin Firewire card...just won't show up as connected with iMovie on the blue and white G3. You might try connecting your camera to a different computer or try it with different DV software on your G4 to prove to yourself that your JVC camera is not the source of the problem.

Hi guys,
    no joy yet.
    I got 9.04 and that did not help.
    My wife is still searching for the plug in adaptor, so i have not been able to try that.Why would that matter? The battery is not good enough?
    Also i reread all the posts and realize i am not using the PRO version of Quicktime, so i will get that.
    But anyway i am going to order a firewire card for my 7600 and try that.
    Do you guys think i should get a FireWireDirect FW/USB since that is the one that worked for MacMikester. Or should i get the RATOC?

I would get the Apple OEM. We just dropped prices on them.

Check to see if you have either of these two Apple extensions installed: DV Enabler 1.0.2 and DV Support 1.0.2. If they are present, REMOVE them. They prevented iMovie from seeing a connected camera in my case. I just posted a solution to my similar problem under "iMovie Can't See Camera."

Thanks CQ,

We definitely need to log this in the memory banks for future use. Where did those extensions come from (any clue when you Get Info or list info with the Extensions Manager or Conflict Catcher)? I do not have these in my system folder, Do they get installed by FinalCut Pro or Premier?