Thread: lost a 2nd internal drive-won't mount

Hi Folks, 2 internal drives 1 40G OS 10.2 master and 120G OS 9.2. Turned computer on today and 40G drive disappeared. Shows the hardware in system profiler but says volumes not mounted. Tried booting from OS X system disk and ran disk utility. Verified and repaired disk and disk permissions. No luck.I even unplugged the power for a minute. How can I access this drive? Thanks in advance, Bob

Mac model? drives on native IDE bus? controller? master / slave? cable select? 10.2..?

You can try OS 9 Disk First Aid + Disk Warrior v. 2.11. You can try Safe Boot. Single User mode and fsck also.

I would get a 3rd drive for backup. And I would definitely have OS X on another drive as well.

Thanks TZ, The Mac is a G4 @ 450mhz. If I boot up from OS X installer disk it sees the drive. Computer only boots up from the slave drive in OS 9.2.2 and doesn't sees the master 40G drive while running disk first aid. It only sees the drive in Apple System Profiler but says volumes not mounted?This just happened one morning, it's been running fine for months. Any other things to try? Thanks, Bob

?Your best bet Bob is to run Disk Warrior against that drive. Immediately that you get enough of a fix to copy the data off that drive, back it up to your other drive. You run the risk with a three or four year old drive that it is just on its last leg and you are about to have a total fail.

?Disk Warrior has as good a chance as anything to get that data. The good news is that Profiler sees the drive.

www.alsoft.com

RIck
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I have exactly the same problem - I get this on a regular basis with many of my clients, the best solution is to use Data Rescue which will be able to get all relevant data off the drive and then you should be able to initialise the drive. Whether you continue you with the drive is entirely up to you, my choice would be to bin that one and put in a new one.
    This one is on a G4 466, 30gb.
    At least you won't have lost anything - time to get a 120gb drive anyway :-)