Thread: My daughter's CD drive (this is weird)

So, I did a little troubleshooting last weekend, I swapped HD's between the two iMac's, formatted, and reloaded everything.(OS 9.2.2 and 10.2.8) That eliminated software as the issue. Then, out of curiosity, I swapped CD drives between the machines.
    Surprise! My daughter's CD drive works fine in my iMac! And, alas, my DVD drive won't read data in her machine.(music only) I tried two USB drives (CD and DVD) neither would read data.
    So, what we know to be true is:
    iMac G3/350, 256mb of SDRAM, 7.5 G HD (seagate with 5.5G free) Brand new install of OS 9.2.2 and 10.2.8 with all updates. Internal slot-loading CD-ROM drive won't read ANY data discs, OEM or burned.
    The software is OK (it reads in my machine)
    The hardware if fine (it reads in my machine)
    This narrows it down to a flaw in the logic card, or elsewhere in the machine.
    Any ideas would be welcomed on this one....
    (At least I don't have to spend $300.00 on a superdrive I don't need)

Have you tried installing new drivers? I use IntechUSA CD/DVD speedtools.

A long shot, but what about a bad cable? Not easy to test, cause the ATA cable carries power to the CD on slot loaders as I recall, so they are not plain jane std ATA cables.... are they???
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin