Thread: Having trouble with DSL Connecting

I have been connecting to my telephone DSL by modem connected to my ethernet from my iMac G3 400 without any problem until I shut down my computer because of a thunderstorm last night. I am now unable to get the modem to respond to its IP to troubleshoot. I called technical support and repeated everything I had already tried. I can communicate with my printer as well as my wife's iBook by ethernet connection when the modem is unhooked. The modem will not respond to her ibook as well. Support tells me I have bad ethernet cards in both the iMac and the iBook G3. Both Macs are using Mac OSX 10.2.8. Any ideas? Do I have 2 bad ethernet cards??

When DSL first became available in my area, it happened to be with the same ISP that mya analog service was with. They offered to let me beta test. I told them I have a Mac. They said they were not ready for that. When they were, I took them up on it, but they had no one to support Macs so for the very few Mac beta testers, we were on our own. It was a nightmare of bugginess. Fortunately, the DSL modem maker was very helpful with suggestions and firmware updates for the modem. They also suggested to immediately get a router or hub, preferably a router.

telco line ---> DSL modem ---> router or hub ----Mac or Macs

I was getting frequent disconnects under use or would startup and nothing. After trying many things over a long period, I discovered this to get the connection back:

Power off the DSL modem, router/hub if you have such, with computer shutdown. Wait awhile. I waited about 5 minutes. In this order, power up the DSL modem and watch its lights to let it negotiate its connection. When it is trained up, power up the router/hub if you have one. Then power up your computer. Seemed for me that the power up sequence was important. Worth a try anyway if you have not. Luck. k

No signal to modem - right? A BIG storm - might have had a power surge that blew the modem? Could you test it at a friends house?

Check all your settings ... one more time.

if you don't put a surge protector on modems, they will eventually get hit, and which can travel to the ethernet port.

Most APC, Belkin, Tripp-Lite UPS and surge protectors have RJ11/RJ45 and coax, so whether cable or dsl or dial-up, you should have protection (I pass through two, a UPS and surge protector).

Amazon has Netgear DSL modem + router/switch in a single unit for $106 that replaced my $200 modem. In the past DSL modems were more proprietary, today, G.Lite and ADSL are more of a common standard and the Netgear can auto configure and negotiate with ISP.

OS X makes release/renew lease easy as pie, as does the Netgear equipment.

And it sounds like your router and Macs are fine and enet ports were not touched.

I agree with TZ if you can connect to your wifes ibook via ethernet then it should be fine.

I have the Netgear DG834 firewall router and it's brilliant, never had any problems and was really easy to set up. Highly recommend it.

Also means 4 macs can share a single dsl connection and communicate over a Local Network.

Listen to TZ: get a surge protector that handles both power and data lines. At work we had ethernet ports get killed in three imacs from a lightning strike. Down the DSL line, through the router, then a switch, more inside wiring, then the imacs. And replacing the ethernet port in an imac = replacing the logic board. $$$ Ouch!

The only good news? The same strike killed the PCs next door. Dead.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I powered down everything, (iMac, ethernet hub, and adsl modem) like kaye suggested. I was unable to establish a connection.I installed the usb driver that came with the modem; I was able to access modem by entering the modem IP in my browser and access the modem set up. Looking at reports and IPs in preferences it appears the modem thought it was connected to a different IP address than what my iMac showed. I released the modem by selecting the release button. I was still unable to establish a good connection on my iMac, but I was able to connect with my wifes ibook over the usb. Still unable to go on line on ethernet on ibook. I am in the process of running norton utilities. I thank everyone for their input. I am taking the modem to another computer where my wife works and try it there tomorrow.

Deal-Mac APC UPS 400VA $49 new battery, ref'd unit.
    http://dealmac.com/articles/64650.html

Amazon Netgear DG834 ADSL FIREWALL ROUTER DG834NA $106.

The modem did not work on my wife's iMac G4 at work on eithernet either. Tried her modem from work at home. The guy from centurytel technical support was wrong about my ethernet ports; I can go on line on both the iMac and the ibook at home now. I have learned a lot from everyone in the forum. thanks. Have a new modem coming from DSL provider. Lesson learned: persue all options before listening to a windows techie trying to help with a MAC.

Did the new modem solve your problems?