Thread: Networking problem with Panther Mac OS....

I have a network for sometime now using Jaguar a and some old Mac's using Mac Os 9.2.2 without any problem. I just installed a New G5 which has a MAC OS Panthers Operating system and when I try to connect to the server which is an old server using an Appleshare IP 6.3 and the old system 9.2.2 I can not see the server nor any mac with the old system 9.2.2.on the network from the G5. I am very familiar with the IP addresses on each CPU and I have set up every thing the correct way. Is there any incompatibility with Panther OS and 9.2.2 OS. If any of you know please let me know.

Thanks

maccom

There is lots of grumbling about filesharing not being right in Panther, but I was under the impression that the issues revolved around browsing the network, and machines not being detected and displayed consistantly....

If you cannot hit IPs you are entering manually, I would think something else is going on. I have been using Panther since the day it came out on 1/2 a dozen various machines, old and new, and have not seen the problem you are having.

Have you checked and rechecked network settings, subnets, etc.? Can you ping other IPs, and contect to the internet OK?

Charlie Don't Surf!

In the utilities folder, open Directory Access. If you check "AppleTalk", and then "Apply", it ought to get you to the other machines.