Thread: Weird problem with quicksilver case

Weird problem with quicksilver case

This is a long description of the problem. Turn the computer on and it will work for a minute then power down. Pull the power cord and open the case and plug the cord back in. Hit the power button and it will work fine as long as the case stays open. After you close the case will power down after a minute. I noticed that the little red light on the motherboard flashes until I pull the power cord and let it sit for a minute. I have to keep the case open at least an inch for it to work but once I latch it closed it will shut down after a minute.

I checked the fans are they car working. The inside of the case does not get too hot either.

Does anyone know if there is a sensor that could cause this?

Now this is a weird one.

Post any hardware you have added that is not stock? Any chance of a cable touching a PCI card or other componet? Double check any wires or cables that might be getting moved in that last inch of movement when closing your door. They might not be getting pinched but moved just enough to screw something up?

Try putting a indoor/outdoor thermometer in there and see how warm it is getting. There are no utilities to check the QS's CPU temp. (I have a QS 733) There is something with it's chip that won't allow it to utilize a temp monitoring app.

Long shot... Try pulling all your RAM, and cards clean it out really good check the slots for dust bunnies. Reseat everything really good.

Post further questions/observations and your success when you find it - this is new. Post it at Apple discussions if you have not already.

Randy

Holding the power button for 5-6 seconds will shut it down rather than pulling the power cord.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rwm:
    Now this is a weird one.

Post any hardware you have added that is not stock? Any chance of a cable touching a PCI card or other componet? Double check any wires or cables that might be getting moved in that last inch of movement when closing your door. They might not be getting pinched but moved just enough to screw something up?

Try putting a indoor/outdoor thermometer in there and see how warm it is getting. There are no utilities to check the QS's CPU temp. (I have a QS 733) There is something with it's chip that won't allow it to utilize a temp monitoring app.

Long shot... Try pulling all your RAM, and cards clean it out really good check the slots for dust bunnies. Reseat everything really good.

Randy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had tried everthing but the thermometer. I was just wondering if there was some kind of connection between the motherboard and case through some kind of sensor tha I can disable.

?The only thing I can think of is a connection on the power supply cable to the motherboard. Try pulling, inspecting and resetting that cable and see if that gets it.

?Have you done OF resets and a PMU reset? Worth a try and no risk.

Rick

Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?

Just in case...

Open Firmware reset -

Hold the Command+Option+O+F keys during startup. This will put you in the Open Firmware Interface. At the end of any text you will get a '&gt;' prompt. At that prompt type:

reset-nvram -Hit Return
    set-defaults -Hit Return
    reset-all -Hit Return

After a week, I have tried everything.

I do think its a grounding problem. I am able to recreate the problem with the case open now. I just have to hold something made of metal near, but not touching the screw that holds the motherboard by the sound conections. I am thinking I may have to change the power supply because I think that is what grounds the computer.

FYI

I fixed it. It turned out to be a the power supply. I installed a new one and it works fine now.

Awesome dude! Nice troubleshooting.

Good Job.