Thread: G4 867 QS just died!! Please Help.

Ok, I'm new here but maybe you guys can help.

Problem: G4 will not boot up.

Symptom: 1. Power light comes on when touched but then goes out when let go.
    2. Red led on Logic board comes on.
    3. Fans and power bus to board are all operational.
    4. Heat sink on CPU does start getting warm, as per normal operation.
    5. No Video, No attempt to spin the startup disk, no beeps or any other sounds.

I took it to my local guy who said he thought it was the logic board. Another opinion from somewhere else said it wasn't.

I tried the PMU reset and logic board resets but still no change.

First occured after leaving the machine on over night. Screen was frozen and did not respond to any keys. I had to un-plug and replug in. Then the problem occured.

Any Ideas???

Thanks,

Charles

Does it usually run 24/7 and not suffer from wake from sleep issues?

Electrical storms here have been VERY severe lately. Some protect their systems with a UPS (w/ battery backup, alarm, 10 minutes of battery juice).

Replace the battery or make sure it has enough charge.
    Do an Open Firmware reset for sure:

Command + Option + OF

> reset-nvram <cr>
    > set-defaults <cr>
    > reset-all <cr>

after which it should reboot.

Go easy on the PMU, someone said not to use it like a cuda switch in the past vintage systems.

AFter that if its no-go, pull the battery, leave it disconnected over night. And remove 3rd party USB and PCI devices. PCI devices should actually only be removed or installed while unplugged as there is a tiny amount of juice.

Also, if there was a surge or anything, RAM is very sensitive.

The Hard drive (Maxtor 60g) was not waking up due to static so I put the computer into "never sleep" mode. So I got rid of the wake sleep problem.

The machine doesn't see the keyboard so pushing anything on that has no effect.

I pushed the PMU maybe four times but I have giving up on that.

The Power bus is all correct except maybe the green wire which seems to change when the power button is depressed.

I've taken out the ram and started it up and there is no tones being produced, no change at all.

Any other ideas?
    Thanks
    -Charles

?If the PMU doesn't reset then I am at a loss. You should not push the PMU reset more than a single time before achieving a complete startup, multiple resets can damage the PMU.

?I put a copy of the G4 Service Manual on my iDisk, it is 10MB but might have something that'll help you figure this out. Unfortunately the manual frequently assumes you have access to swap in parts as the best testing method. ie: if the computer doesn't startup after resetting 'A' then replace the motherboard and try again. Here's the Manual

?Best of luck to you.

Rick

<font size=-1>Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?</font>

?I am uploading the G4 manual and it is taking forever, I just realized that there is a stuffed version already there. You might grab it instead Here

Rick

<font size=-1>Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?</font>

I am now officially in the same boat...was there any resolution to this?

I'm afraid...

Hey Ricks,

How about the "voodoo" pull everything and let it sit overnight ala greentree UK? Where is that thread....

Update: check here.

Hope it helps. FWIW, I saw a few very similar complaints about a DP 867s over at the Apple forums, with no resolution. One was a switcher; his first Mac....talk about frustrated. Other users weighed in with similar stories.

If it is a logic board issue, sounds a bit like the ibook LB disaster.

Charlie Don't Surf!

Hey chuck, this voodoo stuff works so try and try again if it doesn't work 1st time. think that voodoo method should be put somewhere safe before we lose it!