Thread: Mac wont boot. No chime nothing. HELP (voodoo reset)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Mac wont boot. No chime nothing. HELP (voodoo reset)

First of its a dual 867mhz g4 MDD.

When i press the power button i dont get ne thing. Sometimes i ahce to hold down the power button just to get it to turn on but ither way it doesnt boot. there is no chime no error beeb's nothing. Ive tried diferent ram in different slots and still nothing. I have also disconected the hd, dvd and still nothing. Help!

Thanks

Zerosignull

Ps. the light of the power button comes on then fades striaght away

Z,

?Welcome. First thing to try is resetting the PMU. The Power Management Unit is a microprocessor that controls startup, sleep and shutdown and is reset by a little button on the motherboard. I have never had the 867 Dual model to know exactly where the button is, usually it is right next to the battery. The button is in a little 1/4 inch can and is a plastic 1/8 inch round button. Pull the power cord, press it once with a pencil or similar, hold for 6 seconds and then wait 20 seconds before hooking up the power cord and rebooting. That should get it going. If not we'll figure something else.

Rick

Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ricks:
    Z,

Welcome. First thing to try is resetting the PMU. The Power Management Unit is a microprocessor that controls startup, sleep and shutdown and is reset by a little button on the motherboard. I have never had the 867 Dual model to know exactly where the button is, usually it is right next to the battery. The button is in a little 1/4 inch can and is a plastic 1/8 inch round button. Pull the power cord, press it once with a pencil or similar, hold for 6 seconds and then wait 20 seconds before hooking up the power cord and rebooting. That should get it going. If not we'll figure something else.

Rick

_Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?_<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tried that. same as before. the unit powers up. the drives spin up. no chime. then ~10 seconds later the main fan comes on full speed. nothing on the screen or and beeping from the mac

So here's a bit of Voodoo from Greentree,
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Remove ram. remove power cord. remove battery. Reset cuda/ PMU, push pwr button. insert pwr cord and boot yes without ram if you get a beep then ur back in business. put ram back in. if not as above but press pwr and cuda together. have had this issue with a good few G4's and this always fixes them. if not. then leave overnight with pwr out. battery and ram out and when you come in in the morning press pwr button on front one last time. then pwr up. Goodluck<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You got me, but it worked for Damien on his MDD last week.

Rick

Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?

its Still refusing to do ne thing.

Confused G4 mdd "no chime, screen black"

I've done the Voodoo fix 7 times, no change, "NO CHIME, SCREEN BLACK". Original problem, when monitor worked and there was a startup chime, but the firewire connection was working intermittently, then not at all, to now. I have also tried zap PRAM on startup, no change. Now when I push start button it lights, withdraw finger, light at button goes off. At start up computer powers on, all fans running, red light at mother board on. I'ver replaced the power supply, mother board, Dual 867MHz CPU, exchanged RAM, and put in (2) new internal Hard Drives. In case the CPU was corrupted, I've ordered one more, to try this again. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Default Welcome to the Guru's Forums

Since you have tried the PRAM without luck.... I'd try an OF reset too.

Open Firmware reset -

Hold the Command+Option+O+F keys during startup. This will put you in the Open Firmware Interface. At the end of any text you will get a '>' prompt. At that prompt type:

reset-nvram -Hit Return
    set-defaults -Hit Return
    reset-all -Hit Return

That should cause a reboot.

If others don't have suggestions I will have time later to help. I was fairly familiar with that G4 line and trouble shooting.

Does this have the 133MHz or 167MHz bus

About all that is left is the SMC device (.....I think that's what is is called) that is part of the power button on the front.

This seems to be very finicky on some MDDs, and I believe the "voodoo reset" addresses it.

If you can round up a replacement module, might be worth swapping.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Question Are we talking about the same Voodoo steps...

I found these very old notes buried in an AppleWorks document I'd saved. It looks like 2 or 3 copy and pastes of the Voodoo tip... from different Guru's threads. Some small variations?

Guru Greentree fixed my G4 when it did this - Damien

- remove the CPU
    - press the CUDA for 30 seconds or so
    - remove the PRAM battery!
    - unplug the power cable
    - press the power button to discharge any left over power (this might not actually be necessary)
    - let it sit with no PRAM battery for a while. I'm not sure exactly how long... probably an hour is good, but if you're patient, you∂ can leave it overnight.
    - then put everything back together and try the upgrade again.
    ------Another------- Greentree's original post I believe
    Remove ram. remove power cord. remove battery. Reset cuda/ PMU, push pwr button. insert pwr cord and boot yes without ram if you get a beep then ur back in business. put ram back in. if not as above but press pwr and cuda together. have had this issue with a good few G4's and this always fixes them. if not. then leave overnight with pwr out. battery and ram out and when you come in in the morning press pwr button on front one last time. then pwr up. Goodluck
    ------Another-------
    So, these would be the steps:

1 power off, leave plugged in
    2 remove all ram
    3 remove all cables, including power
    4 press mobo reset button (PMU reset)
    5 press power button (still with no cables plugged in)
    6 plug in power, press power button (you should get the no ram indicator - 3 beeps)
    5 Power down and reinsert ram
    7 plug in power, power on