Thread: B/W G3 won't complete startup

I am trying to get a B&W G3/350 back to it's original state, meaning with OS 8.6 installed. The machine used to have an xlr8 G4/500 upgrade installed, but it has been removed and the original processor is back. It has an IBM 40 GB HD and I have run the software restore program from the original boot disk, but when I try to boot form the HD, it gets stuck at the "Mac OS Starting Up..." splash screen.
    I am wondering if somehow the open firmware upgrade that was run in order to use the xlr8 processor has now disabled the ability for the machine to run OS 8.x ?
    Is there a way to 'go back' to earlier version of firmaware?

You can't back out a firmware update. I can't boot from the original PowerMac G3 CD that mine came with (8.6) so I figure the 8.6 doesn't have the correct boot ROM file for the system folder and other things.

Going on the auction block? Mine use to be trouble, is now my "old reliable" and don't think I'd get enough.

TZ - thanks, I know you are well versed in OF. Really weird though, I actually can boot from the CD and, as I've been trouble shooting - restarting, booting from DW CD and original software CD, etc, I actually got it to boot, but it frooze as I was setting some control panels, TCP/IP I think, although that had nothing to do with it (?). I think my hard drive is weirding out, I just finished an install of OS 9.1 and on the first start up from the hard drive, the machine froze in the same place during start up. I am going to try installing a different HD and give it a try, I'll post the result.

After putting the original CPU back in there, did you zap the pram or reset the CUDA?

Probably a good idea to do either or one of those -- also since you just reinstalled a fresh OS.

Moreover, since you also installed a fresh OS, might be a really good idea (since you're able to get past the 'welcome' screen) to rebuild the desktop.

Just a wild card but your jumper settings are correct? sorry but no info about this in post

I'm pretty sure the jumper settings are correct, but I'll have to research and make certain. Also, I could only get it to boot once, then it froze, so I did not rebuild the desktop, however, I've booted from DickWarrior CD (it used the OS 9.1 system), and I rebuilt using DW.
    Since my last post I have installed a different HD (the OEM 13 GB that came with the machine, it has been working in an old iMac/233 running OSX) and the same problems are there with this HD. I have installed OS 9 and cannot get it to start either, although obviously, I am able to boot from the CDs in order to install the OSs.
    My next attempt will be to install OSX as this operating system was running on the machine in it's present configuration when I started this project.

I would drop into OF and reset-nvram at the least. I think putting OS X on it wise. Someone had trouble and they had to pull the plug, the battery, deplete and drain power, let it sit, and were able to get a system that refused to boot to then boot.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Someone had trouble and they had to pull the plug, the battery, deplete and drain power, let it sit, and were able to get a system that refused to boot to then boot.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's an old-fashioned logic board reset.

There's something similar to that in kbase 95066. That's for a G4 PCI Graphics (aka Yikes G4). But don't worry; a B/W G3 and Yikes G4 have pretty much the same logic board.

A slightly quicker way (and if the above logic board reset fails) to is to reset the PMU (Power Management unit). Resetting that that flushes your NVRAM/PRAM, more so than the 4 key startup routine. I'm pretty sure it's more thorough than an OF reset. For at the very least, when you reset the PMU, your clock and time zone both get reset. I can't remember the exact difference between a CUDA and PMU reset, but I think the latter does reset the PMU unit.

Apple has pulled the articles containing the following sort of procedures. So if you're uncomfortable with them, then don't proceed -- try the above procedure in kbase 95066.

To reset the PMU, shutdown your machine. Disconnect the power cord. Wait a bit for the power to dissipate. Near the battery are two buttons -- take a look at this logic board diagram (again for the pretty-much-the-same Yike G4). The button further away from the battery is the PMU (S5) -- it also has 'Power' or 'Power On' written next to it. Ground yourself, and press that (S5) button once. You're done.

Do not press that PMU (S5) more than once, you risk draining prematurely the battery. That button is a bit tricky to depress fully with a finger. (Could be my fat fingers. ;-)) I usually use the eraser on the back end of a pencil -- non-conductive and non-slip. On my machine I can usually hear a 'click'. BTW, you need to disconnect the power cord when you reset the PMU, otherwise that 'Power On' button will literally power on (startup) your Mac.

When my B/W had problems starting up, resetting the PMU did the trick.

I will give these a try. I have booted into OF and done the 3 OF resets:
    reset-nvram
    Return
    set-defaults
    Return
    reset-all
    return

Right now OSX is finishing the updates and I want to see if I can even get it to run classic, although I'm not sure if that will mean much. I want to get it running some viable system now, more than anything, otherwise I have nothing more than a paperweight. I put the xlr8 G4/500 upgrade back in before I began the OSX install process, so far, so good.

OSX runs fine.
    Will not find the OS9 system folder to set for classic prefs, even though I installed OS9 first. Appears to be a OSX only machine.