Thread: imac problem

we have a imac g3,blue & white,6 gig,320 memory,1.5 available hd,osx 2.8,newly installed x.it starts up,you hear the sounds but no picture.before the screen disappeared it took a while for screen to come on.please help anyone.

posecap

Hi. Has this B&W iMac been in before for troubleshooting?

10.2.8 sure is fun, huh? Second one today asking.

While you have enough disk space, you actually don't have a lot. Any plans to put a new (and therefore faster) drive in there?

Do you have Norton, Disk Warrior so we can get at it? Have you run Disk First Aid from OS 9 CD?

I would do a SAFE BOOT. Probably trash the three folders for "cache" files. FSCK on startup. There are tips on how to downgrade from 10.2.8 to 10.2.6 which might help. Or, rerun the combined updater for 10.2.8 (100MB), but you need space, maybe a FW drive? (Before FW bugs in Panther - make sure your drive's firmware for OXford-911 etc is up to date beforehand).

You're problem is common enough that Apple discussions, MacIntouch and MacFixit have special reports.

[This message was edited by TZ on Mon December 15, 2003 PT at 11:35.]

thanks tz,the mac belongs to friend.diskwarrior wont boot up.tries to but nothing on screen.finally got dw started ,gave message 'wrapper volume 'was damaged.the funny thing is i wait for screen to come ,no luck.then i push power button for few seconds till it sleeps then i press return and voila screen display is on.but it moved to side.did same with install cd.w/o cd it wont go to sleep via power buton.admin guy is puzzled also.

posecap

Could very well be a hardware failure....

Check out this, and this, and this.

Kinda long... the short version is that the symptoms are close to what ususally turns out to be a a failing P/A/V (Power/Audio/Video) board. If that is the case, the replacement of the board by a shop will probably cost what the imac is worth - up to $300.

Check the threads above for other tests and diagnosis possibilities before you throw in the towel.

Good luck.

Charlie Don't Surf!