Thread: Performa can't find HD to reformat

I've been reading posts all night to see if this is covered, hope it's not a redundant question.

While running Norton Disk Doctor on my ol' Performa 6360 I got a message saying there serious directory problems that couldn't be fixed. After many tries with Norton I figured Heck with it, most of my stuff is backed up to Zip, I'll just re-initailize the HD. But now I can't even do that because Norton and Disk First Aid are both telling me there doesn't seem to be a disk present. (after scanning the SCSI bus). So by now you know I am no guru and completely stuck - thanks, Joe

What are you using to initialize? What system are you running? Are you booting from System CD, or from another disk drive? Do you have an "Emergency" zip disk for such occasions?

Best piece of advice I can give you: don't use Norton. Not for repairing disk drives. Okay for minor repairs. Use Disk Warrior instead.

Drive Setup 2.07 which is part of 9.2.1 would be ideal. Even on OS 8 system. Do you have Intech Harddisk SpeedTools (v. 3.5 ideally), or something else?

Does your Performa have SCSI or ATA drives? How old? (did you ever replace the original 250MB drive?)

Thanks for responding. I was running system 7.5. I have started up from the original CD and tried to restore system software from that. The window I got said, there doesn't seem to be a disk to restore to. I have not done anything to the hard disk before in terms of upgrades, replacements, reformatting, etc. I believe I did back up the system to a 250MB zip disk -- however that is also no longer appearing on the desktop.

Norton is... v. 3.5 or earlier? those were actually 'safe' to use and quite good.

I think you need to use HD Setup to initialize your disk drive. Should be in the "Utilities" folder. You can also download older versions. 7.5.2 is back a few years...

Your zip drives won't show unless the system folder has an Iomega extension installed.

If you need help finding software, like HD Setup, ask. There use to be some programs in the ftp.macgurus.com but haven't checked to even see if it is up or online.

Of course it is possible it went belly-up. In which case, I've seen www.macsales.com (OWC) selling 250MB drives... by the dozens.

Thanks again, TZ. And you guessed it, Norton 3.5. Also I forgot I had disconnected the zip drive from the SCSI port (with the computer turned off) in a moment of desperation. I plugged it back in, and now "Drive Setup" is recognizing both the zip and the uninitialized HD! This is better news. NOW -- would it be worth buying some recovery software like Disk Warrior and try to get my files back? (Norton can't find the "file saver" data it needs) Or should I just reinitialize while the computer will let me and forget about it?

Hey! great news!

Probably disconnecting the zip threw the SCSI chain into a fit (improper termination).

At this point, I don't know how far back Disk Warrior 2.1 supports and if you can use it, but ask www.Alsoft.com and see what they have on their site. For now, if you have everything backed up, and can do a clean install of the system if needed, do so.

A spare backup drive you can use, or add'l zip media would be nice. I think 3.5.2 was the last good Norton

[This message was edited by TZ on Sun December 14, 2003 PT at 14:08.]

Thanks a ton for the advice & moral support!

Just a thought:

If you are going to stay OS 7, you might consider going 7.6.1, which as I recall was the best of 7.... although it has been like 5 years since I really used a 7 box.

What do you say TZ?

Charlie Don't Surf!

7.6.1 (back then) intro'd OpenTransport (good thing) but was hard on my 8MB PB145. Back when an OS took 3MB, and 7.6.1 took 5MB!!

I think 7.5.2 had some bugs (when does an OS not have bugs?

thought I'd stick my 2 in, having recently gone thru some similar trauma: I took my 6116 from 7.55 to 8.1 to 9.1 in a short time...the 8.1 was "inherited" and the system file a real mess. Also, not an Apple HD (FWB HDT took care of that)! I ordered an oem 9.1 disk from welovemacs relatively cheaply and have really been happy with the OS. And on the accelerated performa, it really flies. One big advantage I see for 9.1 vs earlier systems in the extended HFS capability...of course, now my Norton 3.5 is useless! One question for TZ..I would assume that vosenfam's internal HD was terminated, and removing the external zip shouldn't have affected the internal SCSI bus...am I missing something?