Thread: BUS ERROR ON BOOT UP (G3 266 BIEGE)

I was trying to install a USB PCI Card to a G3 266 (BELIKIN recommended). MAC will no not boot up past welcome screen! Error message "BUS ERROR" or "ILLEGAL INSTRUCTION" Removed PCI Card no change. Also cannot boot with extensions off.
    Cannot boot from SYSTEMS Disk
    Can boot with either a NORTONS or APPLECARE Disk though.
    Have Reset everything numerous times
    CUDA: PRAM: COMMAND+OPTION+OF
    No change!!!!

Any thoughts I'm stumped!

I would recommend against Belkin in Beige. how about search of ... oops - I see you posted the same message on Apple Beige discussions also. But have you search through there? Also, there is a great article on MacIntouch on USB problems. "USB DDK"

When you went into Open Firmware, did you use the "init-nvram" command? Remove the battery? remove RAM chip?

Yes I did do the "init-nvram" command, with no effect. I have removed the NEW RAM and replaced the orignal RAM. Have not removed Battery as of yet, though I don't see how this would help?
    Will try though. I will also read the suggested article, thank you.
    Why do you not recommmend BELKIN? Just curious because at this point I really don't have a good arguement to use them!

The Belkin USB2 card has been mentioned a number of times by others, both here and over in Apple Beige Discussion forums, as problematic. The MacIntouch article on USB is excellent. Removing a battery is sometimes used to remove any charge holding information in nvram when you really want to. Leaving it out and the computer unplugged over night can help a system that refuses to boot but should.

I know that was mentioned on MacIntouch, MacFixit and www.xlr8yourmac.com for troubleshooting systems over the summer (when 10.2.6/8 caused some problems).

Also, OS 10.2.5 'broke' some USB hubs and devices by tightening standards support - a lot of USB hubs, cards, that use to work wouldn't any longer, those that used cheap generic parts and chips. And Belkin was one of those.

Well I removed all cards from Board and reset all
    Problem is gone! I think the Audio card was loose
    Also, after downloading the APPLE USB Adapter Card Support extensions the Belkin USB is working fine now!
    What a Pain!.....Thanks for your support!!