Thread: 7500 G3/400 Start up app problem

The culprit a 7500 G3/400, OS 9.1, 512MB RAM with 2 - 18 gig 10K Chetahs on a Miles U2W. Each drive has a partition for the System/Apps and the remainder is data/storage and it has had this quirk ?─˙forever?─¨. When I open the control panel -> "startup disk" app and try to switch to the 2nd drive right after pressing/clicking restart it freezes.

I can boot off my CD and swap the drive -run my Disk Warrior or what ever but it is sorta a pain and it should work right! But both drives act the same with the startup app. The drives were installed by the same OS 9 CD but updated to OS 9.1 - 1 via a CD the other a 9.1 download updater from Apple. I think over the last year I have tried EVERYTHING but there must be something.

A little problem I have let go long enough.
    Randy

[This message was edited by rwm on Thu December 11, 2003 PT at 18:13.]

Hi Randy,

This question interested me because I had a similar problem on the same machine. When I upgraded from 9.0.4 to 9.1 every time I went to use the StartUp CP to switch disks the CP would quit. I would also have to startup from CD to switch disks. I finally gave up and re-installed the older version of the CP (7.7.7) and it now works. The newer version had a list view of the various disks, and the older version has an icon view. Which version are you running now?

This may have nothing to do with your problem, but it sounds eerily similar.

Never had this problem when I ran 9.0.4, after doing the 9.1 update, or after a clean 9.1 install from retail disk.

I just checked my version of the CP: it's 9.0.2.

As far as I know the logic boards are pretty much the same on the 75/85/early 8600.

That worked just perfect. My install CD had ver. 7.7.6 on it and things seem fine now.

So simple... I guess I did not try EVERYTHING

Thanks again
    Randy

Fixed it while you were typing M. I had version 9.0 on it before. -Randy

I use startup disk 9.2.1 or later (9.2.4 from OS X) which always worked on my 7300, which ran 9.1 (full retail CD).