Thread: G3 help

I had a lightning strike and it took out my phone, modem and modem and printer ports. It is a 266 DT. Is it possible to fix the mother board or do I need a new one? Is it worth it to fix? I am using my brothers old Power Computing 150 and it is killing me!!!
    Thanks for the help.

dcb <><
    John 14:6

You might want to shop for a new Beige instead.
    I picked up Rev A MT over a year ago for under $200.

It's possible that a USB PCI card would help, but that means moving to USB devices.

then again, might be time to look into a G4 computer.

I understand where you are coming from. I, at this time, really don't need the speed...just need to get online and print. Is it possible to updgrade the PC 150 or is it a lost cause?
    Thanks for the fast reply....I am a Mac fan for life!

dcb <><

First thing I would do is get a modem and surge protector, maybe UPS. Most have RJ11/45. You can find modem only protectors for under $25.

I don't use ebay, and when folks do, well, the ones with problems need help (tend not to hear from the lucky ones

Beige DT/300 w/ modem $266
    B&W G3's $359
    http://www.powermax.com/

Also, Keyspan has a USB-Serial adapter in case a simple USB card and/or serial adapter will let you attach your peripherals - if they are functional and didn't get fried. I'd think modem is gone, too.

http://www.keyspan.com

[This message was edited by TZ on Tue November 18, 2003 PT at 8:49.]

Indeed the modem was toasted! I was thinking about a USB card and maybe a USB to serial adapter. My phone company uses the cable line and that is where it came into the house...I was online when it happened...saw smoke coming out of the modem and was without power for about 5 hours. It knocked out 2 transformers.
    On another note...I am trying to use the PC 150 and every time I try to print something it will lock up and I have to re-boot. Any ideas on the problem?
    Thanks

dcb <><

OK....I did it! I am now typing my my new iMac 20in. screen and 1.25GHz. WOW!!! Sell it all and get one of these new beasts....so fast and OS X 1.3.1 is incredible!

dcb <><

Congratulations!!!

?I guess that's one way to make a perfect repair: Buy a new iMac.

Kewl.

Rick

Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?