Thread: Adding an IDE hard drive to a Rev. 2 B&W G3 450 Server?

I am wondering if I can add a 20MB IDE Apple-branded IBM hard drive to a Rev. 2 B&W G3 450 Server.

The server already has three 9GB SCSI Seagate hard drives mounted side-by-side across the bottom. An internal ATA CDRW. No Zip drive.

So the place I can see to put the IDE drive is the unused Zip bay, but I do know whether or not that will work.

The cable coming out of the CDRW has an open plug for the non-existant Zip drive.

I would prefer not to go out and buy an ATA PCI card, but to just use the computer's native bus at this time - an ATA card can come later, if this works out.

Questions:

(1) Can I mount an IDE drive internally in the empty Zip bay - or anywhere else, for that matter? Or am I already full up?

(2) Can I plug the IDE drive into the same cable as the CDRW, or should I used a second ATA/IDE cable for the IDE drive?

(3) I also have a new Western Digital 80 MB/8MB cache hard drive lying around, not doing anything important. Would that work OK in this setup?

Thank you,

ne'er-do-well

Correction:

That 20 GB IDE drive is a Western Digital Apple logoed 205BA.

ne'er-do-well

The zip bay doesn't get enough air flow. The IDE cable is the wrong type for hard drives. I'd put it above the CD, or in FW case.

If you want to be able to boot from your 20GB find yourself a longer IDE cable to use the native IDE bus.

All those drives sound like much older models. You could get a lot more performance upgrading to new models. With or w/o new controllers.

B&W G4/500
    Adaptec 39160
    3 x X15

Beige G3/466
    ATTO PSC
    Atlas X15 + 10K-IV

There is a great photo of a B&W and 4 drives is this post right here.

Randy

Today's 10K drives run cooler - almost but not quite ATA level - so stacking two drives isn't a "great" solution. And I wouldn't want to stack two SCSI drives. However, if you look and compare drive models, you'll see that noise, heat have come down a lot since 1999-2000. A lot.

Drive Comparison - hit "sort" button, select drives to compare, go to full review for any drive, and you'll find temperature readings as well as noise as well as full benchmark information. For $145-150 you can pick up 36GB 10K drives from Seagate or Maxtor that deliver 65MB/sec with 2/3 capacity in use, too. And even with UW controller, they still keep your system humming along nicely.

Heat kills. Check out what happens even in G5 when the thermal sensors aren't placed properly and the fans aren't operating correctly to see.

Hey, we're getting somewhere!

Heat - I just turned off the B&W and touched the three 9 GB Seagate SCSI hard drives on the floor of the machine. Temperature estimated by this primitive age-old hand method is about that of a kid with a fever - about 102 degrees F or so. 104 degrees at the outside.

Question - does aspirin work on hard drives?

A few thoughts and questions:

(1) Now that I look, there is an awful lot of room on top of that Zip/CDRW cage. I guess I could just velcro a drive directly on top of the Zip/CDRW cage. Not high tech - but a little higher tech than using rubber bands. Is this along the lines of what you are thinking, TZ?

(2) On looking closer at the three hard drives on the floor of the machine, I find that the one on the right seems to be in a two-drive stacked U-bracket, just like what we see in the photograph of the MacGuru B&W file and print server that Ricks posted earlier, to which Randy has linked.

However, when I put a drive in the top part of that bracket, the bracket is a few mm (three - four?) wider at the top than at the bottom. It is manufactured that way - not bent, but molded outward. It doesn't really fit a hard drive - it is too wide. What is that all about?

(3) Would any of theseProline brackets be of any use?

http://www.proline.com/computer/stacker/index.htm

http://www.proline.com/computer/stackext/index.htm

Apparently you can use them to stack two - or with an extension - three drives.

Let's see - that means that if I can put one of these at each of the sites that the current drives now sit, plus one above the CDRW, I should be able to fit twelve hard drives in my B&W.

And blow the power supply while melting down the machine.

But the stories I could tell! :-)

(4) Actual question - how many drives - assuming that they are running fairly cool - can I put in this machine before the power supply is strained?

Thanks, again, Gurus of the Mac!

ne'er-do-well