Thread: cd-rw

The internal atapi cd-rom drive finally went on my beige G3 mini tower and i would like to replace it with a cd-rw drive.I would like to replace it with something cheap because I will soon be buying a new mac but would still like to keep this one for the kids.I see many cd-rw drives in comp USA but they are for pc's, would they work in a mac?b

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

They will work but you will need Toast to use as a driver. Also it may be that you can't boot from a cd using one of these. It may be bootable it may not. XLR8 Your Mac has a LOT of info on which drives to use.

hope this helps

Damien,

Damien's Stuff

For example, one entry in the XLR8YRMAC data base says that a Verbatim 48x12x48 CD/RW drive (p/n VBT481248A) will not work in a Power Mac G3. I picked up one of these "cheap". It is now gathering dust on my shelf. If anyone has successfully put one of these into a Mac, I'd love to hear about it. For the time being, this is a cautionary tale about what not to do - but, I'd highly recommend the data base before buying...

I checked out the XLR8 site and found all the info I needed,that is one great site.Thanks everyone.I