Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Slow startup after HD upgrade

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    8

    Default

    I added a Maxtor 120Gb onto my 1Ghz G4. It's on the ATA100 channel, and I've moved the Seagate 60Gb onto the ATA66 channel. I then booted up, and used Carbon Copy Clone to move everything to the 120Gb. I then booted from the 120Gb, and repartitioned/erased the 60Gb (after backing up). Somewhere through several restarts, it started to restart slow. After the initial gray screen with the Apple, I get about 2 minutes of light blue, blank screen, before it opens the network (that screen where it shows text for what it's starting). Even though I didn't think it would fix it, I did reset the PRAM. I've gone to the startup preference, and reselected the new HD several times. Any suggestions. Tnx,

    frankB

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    8

    Default

    I switch the 60Gb drive to "master", and the system seems to boot up fine now. Does this seem like the cause of the earlier problem. I was wondering if maybe I didn't have the cables seated fully or something, but those would seem like go/no-go problems. Tnx.

    frankB

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Grangeville, ID USA
    Posts
    9,119

    Default

    Frank,

    ?When you installed the two drives did you put each on the end connector on the data cable? With Cable Select type systems you must have the Master on the end connector. If you installed as Cable Select then the only difference is that the controller sets the drive as Master for you. If it is the only drive then it again MUST be on the end connector. Personally I like to set my drives as Master or Slave and not let the controller do so with Cable Select.

    ?Having the problem go away with a change to Master jumpers makes me wonder if there was a physical reason it was slowing.

    Rick

    Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    8

    Default

    [QUOTE]Originally posted by ricks:
    Having the problem go away with a change to Master jumpers makes me wonder if there was a physical reason it was slowing.

    Rick

    I'm pretty sure I was on the last connection because I'm aware that's a requirement. Also (dumby me), for some reason I initially put the new drive in the same bay as the old drive. If I wouldn't have used the last connector, I couldn't have reached that far. When I redid it, I realized the empty bay on the other side was the obvious place for ATA66 devices. If cable select should have worked, then my best guess is that I didn't have the connectors fully seated.

    All is well now. I've moved /Users over to the ATA66 drive, and between that and getting the 8Mb buffer, I'm guessing I'm getting about 10-20% better speed on most tasks. Nice! Either I'll get SATA drives and new controller at some point, or a G5.

    Thanks for all your help.

    frankB

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •