Thread: Smoke & Water damage

A fire destroyed most of the building my friend's office is in on Thanksgiving night. What wasn't burned suffered smoke and water damage. (Fortunately) my friend's G4 and upgraded 8600 were spared the intense heat and most of the water. The G4 is critical due to less than diligent back-ups. It fires up and appears to be fine but it looks and smells bad. The smoke must have been very heavy because it appears that it settled on things rather than cirulating all around as much. The inside is slightly colored and I'm thinking should be left alone (except for the smell), at least until good back-ups can be secured. I've removed the exterior cosmetic panels and tried cleaning them in a solution of Simple Green, Dishwashing detergent and Glass Cleaner and that has helped but there's still staining and a little smokiness. I'm assuming that this chore is beyond the advice of mfgrs' recommendations of gentle cleaning products. What about the dishwasher without the heated drying cycle? Any other ideas for smoke damage stain/odor removal especially from all the peripherals. I drained a small amount of water out of the Apple 20" monitor so I've been afraid so far to turn it on. Thinking I should let it dry out some more first. The staining on that surface is impervious to Simple Green. I guess I just need to take that apart too. It's all a mess, like you've never seen before. On the bright side, maybe it's time for a G5!

?It is too tempting to say: Don't risk the data in the G4, pull the drives, stick them in Firewire enclosures and claim all the hardware on the insurance. No telling how long that computer and those drives will last. Why risk anything else and why put up with a stinky yucky mess?

?That's what the insurance is for. And the bright side.....A G5.

Rick

Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?

Unfortunately, there was NO insurance. Like total back-ups, that was something that was talked about, planned for (later) and left undone.

I've been taking the monitor apart and stood the tube on the gun end, only to hear the sound of escaping gas. Is it done? I suspect I killed it. I think it was going to be OK otherwise but getting through the covers is really tough. Dead?

BTW, isopropyl alcohol is fantastic at removing smokey stains from parts. I used it on the PCI cards too, I hope that'll be OK.

Don't know about the alcohol on the cards. I wouldn't have done that myself. I've read about people using distilled water to clean boards. You just need to make sure they are completely dry before power-up. Use some compressed air to blow out all the spots that trap liquid (slots, pots, and switches) then let the board sit in a dry area for a few days at least. A week or two would be even better if you can. Use the same precautions as you do anytime you work inside the machine: make sure you, and all the components are grounded. If you can keep the cleaning solution in a grounded metal container that will also help keep the static demons away.

I wouldn't use liquid of any kind directly on mechanical componenets like drives, or on the power suppl y. Just wipe 'em off with a damp cloth. A lens cleaner or maybe two on any optical drives.

As far as the case goes I don't know exactly what type of plastic they use for the outer shell, but you can get plastic cleaning/polishing stuff at most motorcycle, and aircraft supply houses. Regular automotive clear-coat cleaner/polish may also do the trick though might require a bit more elbow grease.

Good luck!

: