Thread: Did Panther Eat My iMac?

I installed Panther on my iMac DVSE 400 last weekend. After backing up all my files I did a clean install. The installation process went smoothly and then rebooted at which time I went through the registration process. After that was done everything looked fine. I went away for a couple hours and when I returned, the iMac was off and I know that I left it on. When I tried to boot all that happens is the button flashes green and the monitor starts to "whirr" briefly but then stops. It literally won't stay powered for more than a second. I read some ideas on the Apple Discussion boards about removing 3rd party RAM and replacing the battery. I've tried the RAM - that didn't work, and I haven't tried the battery yet but I will ASAP. What just occurred to me as I was typing this was the firmware update necessary for Jaguar. I did install it last year before I installed Jaguar but did the clean install I did for Panther wipe it or does a firmware update stay put regardless of wiping the drive? If that is the problem, is there a way to get it back? I don't care if I have to go back to OS 9 that it shipped with, I just don't want my beloved Graphite baby to remain a $1,500 paperweight! Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated!

I don't know what's going on with your computer but I do know that wiping the hard drive doesn't wipe the firmware. The first thing is check the power lead is plugged in properly, if it is try the following:1) can you boot into single user mode (hold down apple-s at startup)? if so type "fsck -y" and see what the computer tells you. Repeat this step until it tells you "Volume 'whatever' appears OK" then type "reboot" 2) zap your PRAM by holding Command-Option-P-R immediately after start up until the computer retarts 3) boot into open firmware by holding down command-option-o-f at startup. If you get to an open firnware prompt type "reset-nvram" return then "reset-all" then type "mac-boot" to boot up.

If none of these fix it you probably have a hardware issue.

Your firmware is indeed safe, so don't worry about that.

You might also try booting to CD: put your 10.3 CD in and reboot while holding down the "C" key. Don't run the installer though, click on File (I think) on the toolbar and select Disk Utilities and you can get some info about your imac and repair the volume (repairing the volume is essenstially the same as running /sbin/fsck -y from single user mode.) You might want to repair permissions while you are there.

As long as you have installed the OS 9 drivers, you should still be able to boot to an OS CD too.

If your imac functions correctly while doing this, you can rule out serious hardware issues. If it still will not boot to the HD, you can always erase the drive and run the installer again. Even OS 9 is you have to...

Are you sure your memory is correct and good? OS 10 is the ultimate memory test...

Also, if you do get back to your desktop, check to see what your Energy Saver is set at; set it to never, or just let the monitor sleep, but *not* the HD or system. While it works fine for most, some folks have serious issues with sleep, so best to rule that out. While you are on the desktop, verifiy that you in fact have the correct firmware version (it should be 4.1.9 on your imac) in the Apple System Profiler.

Hang in there....

Charlie Don't Surf!

Thanks for the replies. Actually, I tried booting from CD, but it won't power up long enough for me put a CD in. It literally shuts off in less than a second. As for the RAM, I have the 128 that it came with and then I added a Crucial 256. I had Jag running on it before Panther and it's always been fine. Actually, even Panther seemed fine for at least a little while.

Sounds bad.

Short version: Probably a bad motherboard or PAV (power/audio/video) board, either of which will cost what your imac is worth to replace.

I think this is the most complete and technical post on the suject; there are others as well, mostly related to "imac" and "video".

If you want to do a bit of surgery before you assume it is dead, you might try an Open Firmware reset (doubtful), a cuda reset or replacing the battery ( both require disassenbly).

If it is dead, try and remember it got about 4 good years, which is just shy of going to the old folks home in computer years, and a replacment eMac is a very sweet box that is a huge upgrade, and is almost 1/2 the price of imac new.

Sadly, the parts are worth more than the whole working imac.... There are folks out there who buy imac parts, so don't drop it in a dumpster .

Charlie Don't Surf!